Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Infinite Advantage

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Default Infinite Advantage

A reminder to Tracy Enthusiasts that we have an "Infinite Advantage" over most non-Kenpo and most non-Tracy Kenpo schools. We teach and are taught through private instruction.

For years Tracy has advertised the advantages of private instruction, pointing out to the public the ability (through this method) to learn more rapidly. What may be missed by some, is the fact, that we are not only learning the base techniques, the kata , and the sparring combinations more rapidly, but we are learning all of the concepts and principles contained therein more rapidly as well.

Private instruction allows Tracy schools to practice concretely the principles and concepts other schools merely discuss abstractly or hypothetically. The Tracy instructor individualizes the art for his student through such private instruction. We know that by taking the technique more or less as written ("ideal phase" to use Parker Terminology) and tailoring that technique individually to accommodate the precise differences ("What if phase") that exist within the student (body shape, age, physical limitations, athletic ability, flexibility, etc. of our students, we thereby provide and are provided with the ultimate in practicality for self defense.

So don't be fooled by the naysayers, TRACY KENPO provides the "Infinite Advantage" for student an instructor alike.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Re: Infinite Advantage

You should print that in a brochure.

Tracy schools do not hold the market on private instruction. Many schools offer privates as part of their enrollment packages. It's actually pretty common these days and I agree; it's a huge benefit to the students learning.

Pinciples and concepts should be addressed during the teaching and practice of a technique, if so...then their study is hardly abstract. If not, then one isn't learning kenpo, IMHO....Tracy or otherwise. Kenpo is a "science" after all. Did you have some experience at a dojo where all the students did was stand around and talk about it instead of putting it into practice?

You're enthusiasm for the Tracy curriculum is admirable. I like to see kenpoist get excited about the art. I've met some good practicioners from
    the Tracy organization, but I think a lot of the other organizations ( and even some non-kenpo systems) have their advantages as well.

That's my 0.02 anyway...I like to keep my learning opportunities open.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 674 Posts

Infinite ?

Really ?

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Tracy schools do not hold the market on private instruction. Many schools offer privates as part of their enrollment packages. It's actually pretty common these days and I agree; it's a huge benefit to the students learning.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpo Gary View Post
    Whoa...dejavu.....
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

In responding to the quote, "Tracy schools do not hold the market on private instruction. Many schools offer privates as part of their enrollment packages. It's actually pretty common these days and I agree; it's a huge benefit to the students learning."

Although Tracy Schools may not hold the corner on the market on private instruction, they are among the first, have advertised the advantages of such for years and have been the most consistent in implementing this method of instruction. Moreover, it is good to learn that other schools are catching up to Tracy's in this regard.

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 674 Posts

The premise of a sustainable competitive advantage is false.

There is no barrier of entry to anyone, from any school, hosting private lessons. If those lessons did indeed provide value for the student, they would succeed in the marketplace.

Thanks

***offers a golf clap***
    ~Bill Richardson

Rudeness is the frustrated attempt of a small mind to communicate.

Forgive everyone everything

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post

LOL!

Thanks

A reminder to Tracy Enthusiasts that we have an "Infinite Advantage" over most non-Kenpo and most non-Tracy Kenpo schools. We teach and are taught through private instruction.
    Look, I get it, you like Tracy Kenpo, congrats, I like it too, but you and virtually all of your posts today are coming across as a hard-sell recruiter, and it is really really annoying, even to other Tracy Kenpo practitioners.

Like me.

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blindside For This Useful Post:

amylong (11-18-2007),Kenpo Gary (11-17-2007),Rob Broad (11-17-2007),still nobody (11-20-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

The only advantages in all of Kenpo is when you have a competent instructor who will take to the time to make sure every student has every facet of the art they need. Whether it be through group classes, private lessons or semi private lessons. I would much rather have a 20 minute group class with a great instructor than a 2 hour private lesson with somebody who doesn't know what they are talking about.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Broad For This Useful Post:

amylong (11-18-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,253 Times in 612 Posts

We know that by taking the technique more or less as written ("ideal phase" to use Parker Terminology) and tailoring that technique individually to accommodate the precise differences ("What if phase") that exist within the student (body shape, age, physical limitations, athletic ability, flexibility, etc. of our students, we thereby provide and are provided with the ultimate in practicality for self defense.
    Before you posit such a technical description to try and impress the snot out of the uneducated you might want to get the definition of the "What if" phase correct.

Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    www.trianglekenpo.com

"I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    The only advantages in all of Kenpo is when you have a competent instructor who will take to the time to make sure every student has every facet of the art they need. Whether it be through group classes, private lessons or semi private lessons. I would much rather have a 20 minute group class with a great instructor than a 2 hour private lesson with somebody who doesn't know what they are talking about.

I agree that competency of the instructor is of primary importance. That being said, I would rather spend an hour in private with a competent instructor than in a group class where even the most competent instructor's attention is divided. Who wouldn't have preferred private instruction from Ed Parker over that in groups?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Private lessons can be great but they should not be the mainstay of your diet. You need to work the techniques on a variety of attackers (different body sizes and types) at the same time so that you learn the subtle variants and small details more finely. You also need the sparring found in group classes.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    Private lessons can be great but they should not be the mainstay of your diet. You need to work the techniques on a variety of attackers (different body sizes and types) at the same time so that you learn the subtle variants and small details more finely. You also need the sparring found in group classes.
    Not sure what you mean by mainstay. ? The common Tracy method is that every student receives regular private lessons, in addition to group classes that practice line drills, sparring etc.

I am in whole hearted agreement with what you have written here.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,253 Times in 612 Posts

The common Tracy method is that every student receives regular private lessons, in addition to group classes thatpractice line drills, sparring etc.
    Required by contract, no doubt?

Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    www.trianglekenpo.com

"I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bdparsons View Post
    Required by contract, no doubt?

Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    Nope.
    Dave

"I consider that the spiritual life is the life of man's real self, the life of that interior self whose flame is so often allowed to be smothered under the ashes of anxiety and futile concern." - Thomas Merton

Thanks

Mkay,....Gary...yer killin' me!

As if none of us have ever had private lessons? Did the rest of us just fall of the kenpo turnip truck? Your posts are getting genuinely obnoxious. Did some EPAK school do something horrible to you? Did a Tracy school instructor save your life? What is motivating this relentless attack on anything non-Tracy?

While it's true that there are schools that don't give private instruction, there are just as many that do. And just about anyone will give private instruction if you pay them for it.

I've had tons of private instruction. I've learned a lot. I've also had large and small group instruction. I also learned a lot.

In group classes, we get to do drills and other things that you don't get in private lessons. In private lessons, I learned a new technique or two.

Both have great value.

Just as different styles of kenpo all have great value.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

22. The Following User Says Thank You to amylong For This Useful Post:

sifuroy (11-18-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong View Post
    Mkay,....Gary...yer killin' me!

As if none of us have ever had private lessons? Did the rest of us just fall of the kenpo turnip truck? Your posts are getting genuinely obnoxious. Did some EPAK school do something horrible to you? Did a Tracy school instructor save your life? What is motivating this relentless attack on anything non-Tracy?

While it's true that there are schools that don't give private instruction, there are just as many that do. And just about anyone will give private instruction if you pay them for it.

I've had tons of private instruction. I've learned a lot. I've also had large and small group instruction. I also learned a lot.

In group classes, we get to do drills and other things that you don't get in private lessons. In private lessons, I learned a new technique or two.

Both have great value.

Just as different styles of kenpo all have great value.

--Amy
    Amy,

I understand that you find many of my posts offensive and obnoxious, for that I apologize. But what do you find so offensive by my suggesting that schools offering private lessons in addition to group lessons (without contract and at no additional charge) provide a distinct advantage for students over those that don't? Is it because I credit Al Tracy with the concept? You credit Ed Parker for all his concepts and principles and rightfully so, I give Al credit for one good thing and appear offensive.

I probably stated my case too strongly, I have never been a diplomat. But please understand several things. I am new to this discussion group and have only written to the Tracy portion of the group. As a beginner to the group and in my consequent naivete I expected a largely Tracy audience.

Much of what I posted to others who responded, was meant as a kind of tongue and cheek, a verbal sort of sparring. Kind of like when Triangle implied that Tracy sells contracts, was all meant in good fun and humor. At least that is how I took it.

I would prefer that the group not become overly sensitive to what I say, its not personal. No more so than when someone gets a good shot in on someone else in sparring.

Had my intention been to make myself obnoxious or offensive I would have posted on one of the non Tracy boards. I wanted to remind the Tracy practitioner that all the advantages do not rest with Non-Tracy schools.

I respect EPAK, but believe there have been misconceptions about Tracy Kenpo fostered by a verbal minority of those who practice EPAK. I hope that my posts can correct some of those misconceptions.

For example, to correct the notion that a Tracy school will only get you so far, and that Tracy practitioners eventually need to leave and find an Parker school to teach them what Tracy schools can not.

It was with these things in mind that I joined this forum, and to inject a little tounge and cheek humor along the way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links