Thread: Hi Everyone

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Hi Everyone

I was just wondering to all of you Blackbelts....what all ddid you have to do for your Black Belt test and how what would you suggest to prepare for those who have started that direction from 1st brown?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Default Re: Hi Everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger4 View Post
    I was just wondering to all of you Blackbelts....what all ddid you have to do for your Black Belt test and how what would you suggest to prepare for those who have started that direction from 1st brown?
    I suggest you talk with YOUR trainer.

Especially since all of us trainers seem to be very different in what we require.

Sincerely,
    Dr. John M. La Tourrette

3. The Following User Says Thank You to John M. La Tourrette For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (08-23-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

For my 1rst black test I did all the basics, blocks, kicks, then some combinations, all sets from blocking set to coordination set 2, forms short 1 through long 4, a thesis form I made myself, then we did a technique line
    on most of the techniques, a few were left out, then we sparred.

To prepare for the test I basically would do my work out like a mock test.
    TRAIN HARD AND PASS IT ON

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John M. La Tourrette View Post
    I suggest you talk with YOUR trainer.

Especially since all of us trainers seem to be very different in what we require.

Sincerely,
    Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Dr. John is a wise man.

What I require or focus on with those I test, is different then what my black belt students require from their students. There is a necessary training history needed to base the test from.

I will tell you this: be ready to test on everything you have ever learned in the martial arts. You may not have to show it, but who knows?
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

Tigger4 (08-24-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

I test my shodan candidates over all material that they have learned up to that point.

Honestly, the test is a formality, and in my way of thinking, a gift to the candidate. I do my very best to make the test difficult enough that the student cannot complete it, yet at the same time, motivate them to find whatever it is inside themselves that they need to find to succeed anyway.

To me, that is the true purpose, at least philosophically. The skill from the day before to the day after remains the same. But mentally, the successful candidate will ALWAYS know that "I faced an obstacle that I could not overcome, so I did it anyway."

My advice to you would be train the material so that your body is capable of performing long after your mind has disengaged from the fatigue.
    Dave

"I consider that the spiritual life is the life of man's real self, the life of that interior self whose flame is so often allowed to be smothered under the ashes of anxiety and futile concern." - Thomas Merton

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kenpodave For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (08-25-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpodave View Post
    I test my shodan candidates over all material that they have learned up to that point.

Honestly, the test is a formality, and in my way of thinking, a gift to the candidate. I do my very best to make the test difficult enough that the student cannot complete it, yet at the same time, motivate them to find whatever it is inside themselves that they need to find to succeed anyway.

To me, that is the true purpose, at least philosophically. The skill from the day before to the day after remains the same. But mentally, the successful candidate will ALWAYS know that "I faced an obstacle that I could not overcome, so I did it anyway."

My advice to you would be train the material so that your body is capable of performing long after your mind has disengaged from the fatigue.

Thank you
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links