Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Video Clips

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Video Clips

Here is a link to some video clips from a Tracy school. http://www.kenpokarate.ca/

Some pretty good stuff.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Re: Video Clips

Cool! I can see the simularities.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Before I comment, who is the guy that we're watching?

Is he someone from this board?

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong View Post
    Before I comment, who is the guy that we're watching?

Is he someone from this board?

--Amy
    I think I know where you're going so I'll go ahead and say that I would expect a much better performance from a black belt. The upward blocks in Long 1 are particularly grating on the eyes...really makes me cringe.

Chris

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Armstrong View Post
    I think I know where you're going so I'll go ahead and say that I would expect a much better performance from a black belt. The upward blocks in Long 1 are particularly grating on the eyes...really makes me cringe.

Chris
    You must be psychic. lol.

The upward blocks are just wrong. I call those 'peek-a-boo blocks' and if he's a black belt, he should know better.

And his stances need some serious work. I watched 3 or 4 of he clips and I kept hoping to see some improvement. Those weren't stripes on his belt, were they?

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

I just went back and looked at some of the forms (just looked at the 2 techs first time.) I saw a lot of the "Parker" forms in there. Very much alike.
    So, what exactly is the primary thing that sets Tracy Kenpo apart in your opinion?
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    I just went back and looked at some of the forms (just looked at the 2 techs first time.) I saw a lot of the "Parker" forms in there. Very much alike.
    So, what exactly is the primary thing that sets Tracy Kenpo apart in your opinion?
    Oh, they are of course very much alike because the Tracy's trained with Parker.

The Tracy style is much 'harder'. I don't mean more difficult, but more hard-style. It's hard for me to talk about a big difference because I went from one to the other and then back again. I learned some amazing basics when I was in the Tracy system. I don't think the Tracy system is as interested in rounding the corners and my experience is that they are proud of the fact that the system is the same now as when it was first started. So in that sense, they are more focused on the tradition of it. The Parker system is more interested in the evolution.

I enjoyed very much what I learned when I was in the Tracy system. I realized belatedly that one of the other schools I went to was primarily Tracy system too. It's all a blur to me.

--Amy

sigung86 is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Wright City, Missouri, United States, 113653311978716, Wright City, Missouri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,405 Times in 729 Posts

The infamous Golden Dragon and I have had many, many discussions regarding the differences. As a matter of fact, at one point in time, before I became disenfranchised expatriot, we touched quickly, and lightly, on putting together a seminar/lecture that was to primarily focus on the differences that led to similarities.

Depending on who you study with in the Tracy System, you will get Amylongs impression that Tracy's is harder. My old instructor ended up training and promoting under Don Nahoolewa of KaJuKenBo fame. However, at about the same time, he and I were studying with a Chinese Shaolin Master (Convoluted, I know...) And so, when I was doing Tracy's, it was also with an emphasis on harder/deeper stances, and flowing strikes that use "liquid" stance transitions and waist motion to enhance those strikes in power and accuracy. Not the speed slapping that is prevalent in so many Kenpo schools today, but simply, more flowing and rounding as Amy indicated.

In the Tracy system, and I admittedly am biased as I have no formal EPAK training, the "Jitsu" types of methods seem to be more readily apparent. But don't hold me to that as an ironclad observation. It is not meant in an offensive way.

The Tracy System is more "traditional" in that it tends to provide more ready-made answers to defense situations, whereas the EPAK system uses the personal exploration process to develop the students responses. Thus the plethora of techniques in Tracy's as opposed to the "minimal" amount of techniques in EPAK.

The forms are very, very similar. The interpretation of the motion/techniques is different in many instances.

Actually, I envy folks who have had a grounding in both sides of the same coin. It isn't, in my mind, the differences, but the similarities that make both sides interesting.

I will attempt to paraphrase what Dennis and I came up with ... The methods for achieving the usefulness of the two systems is different. The ideas of the motion are similar.

My thoughts here:
    The idealogical and political differences between the systems is purely part and parcel of the old politics, and "Mine's better 'n yours" mentality that is prevalent in the higher realms of both systems. At the risk of politicizing, that ingrained conept, in the seniors of the Tracy System anyway, is probably more responsible for the disenfranchisement of Tracy Black Belts, and the ongoing hassles between both schools of thought, than anything else.

ps: The only reason my method is better than yours is because it's mine. Same reason My Corvette is better than yours! It's mine!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sigung86 View Post
    Depending on who you study with in the Tracy System, you will get Amylongs impression that Tracy's is harder.

The Tracy System is more "traditional" in that it tends to provide more ready-made answers to defense situations, whereas the EPAK system uses the personal exploration process to develop the students responses. Thus the plethora of techniques in Tracy's as opposed to the "minimal" amount of techniques in EPAK.

The forms are very, very similar. The interpretation of the motion/techniques is different in many instances.

Actually, I envy folks who have had a grounding in both sides of the same coin. It isn't, in my mind, the differences, but the similarities that make both sides interesting.
    My instructor was Ray Arquilla and he was very hard in just about every way. I notice that those who do the Tracy system tend to add other styles to influence it, probably a little more so than in the EPAK system.

The forms are similar enough to me that I didn't end up changing most of them. It was only in short 3 that there were distinctly different angles, but not any more different than I've seen the Planas katas to be.

I think the differences stem more from the instruction than the style. I've been fortunate enough to have an outstanding instructor in the Tracy system, as well as having some outstanding instructors in the EPAK system. (I've also had and seem some completely average instructors in both as well.)

I just find that I take what works and go from there.

--Amy

Thanks

You must be psychic. lol.

The upward blocks are just wrong. I call those 'peek-a-boo blocks' and if he's a black belt, he should know better.

And his stances need some serious work. I watched 3 or 4 of he clips and I kept hoping to see some improvement. Those weren't stripes on his belt, were they?

--Amy
    My eyes!!! My EYES!!!!

Gotta give him props though, for putting his stuff on the web and opening up to criticism.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Unhappy Re: Video Clips

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    Here is a link to some video clips from a Tracy school. http://www.kenpokarate.ca/

Some pretty good stuff.
    No offense Rob but the video clips on this site suck. If this represents the Tracy System I hang my head I embarassed by this guy and I have pity on his students.
    Dave Simmons
    Twin Dragon Kenpo Karate
    http://www.mnkenpokarate.com
    651 230-0842

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSimmons View Post
    No offense Rob but the video clips on this site suck. If this represents the Tracy System I hang my head I embarassed by this guy and I have pity on his students.

Dave has hit the proverbial nail on it's virtual head. LOL!!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    Some pretty good stuff.
    We are going to assume that Rob was just being kind. He's clearly nicer than we are.

--Amy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Armstrong View Post

Chris
    What you never learned "windmill form one" ?

PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Unfortunately, he is probably doing exactly what he was taught to do.
    Dave

"I consider that the spiritual life is the life of man's real self, the life of that interior self whose flame is so often allowed to be smothered under the ashes of anxiety and futile concern." - Thomas Merton

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpodave View Post
    Unfortunately, he is probably doing exactly what he was taught to do.
    You're right and that's sad. He could probably do very well if given the right instruction. poor guy.

Thanks

This is true ... they say there are no bad students only bad teachers. Not to say either in this case there is tons of video of me that I am not proud of ...
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Things I noticed?

No anchoring of the elbows.....at all

no directional harmony....

upper and lower quadrants were not synchronized.....

no real torque in a lot of the major moves...

no distinction between....

ahh never mind.

I have orange belt children that do a better long 1. Honest evaluation sorry if it hurt any toes.
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

P.S.

The site was purrttyyyyyyyy, but it is kind of like washing a goat, after all of that soap and water it still stinks!
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

We are going to assume that Rob was just being kind. He's clearly nicer than we are.

--Amy
    My comment of prety good stuff was meant to be a comment about seeing a large collection of Tracy's forms all on one sight.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links