Thread: Well...............

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default Well...............

You forgot to mention the greatest Tracy person here.........ME!

Highly endorsed by the Goldendragon, and the Hit Man......nuff said.
    " Come with me, and I will complete your trainning."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,308 Posts

Default Re: Well...............

Good, I used to study Tracy's in Aurora CO. Do you happen to know their names. For all I know they have been posting here or on MA Talk, but I will never know until The premere Tracy's student fills in the blanks, The school I trained in was closed in 90 or so (I hope that helps)

Sean

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt

AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Smile Re: Well...............

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Kenpo
    You forgot to mention the greatest Tracy person here.........ME!

Highly endorsed by the Goldendragon, and the Hit Man......nuff said.
    Humph....... probably the only Tracy Person here.....LOL

and endorsed only as a Darth!

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Well, now that you have posted, why don't you tell us about the evolution of the material as you have experienced it?
    Just because you do something one way, does not mean that everyone else does it that way, or that it is even the correct way.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoldenOne
    Humph....... probably the only Tracy Person here.....LOL

and endorsed only as a Darth!

Thanks for the plug, I'll take it anyway I can get it. (Be careful how you interpret that)

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seig
    Well, now that you have posted, why don't you tell us about the evolution of the material as you have experienced it?
    I have been noted as a generalist within the system, but am now moving away from that as I've been working in more joint locks to follow up much of the work.

For personal, and student use, I've modified a few things, and I've looked harder at the Infinate Insights books to further enhance the Kenpo we use.

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seig
    In my experience, it is me that has evolved.
    Dave

"I consider that the spiritual life is the life of man's real self, the life of that interior self whose flame is so often allowed to be smothered under the ashes of anxiety and futile concern." - Thomas Merton

sigung86 is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Wright City, Missouri, United States, 113653311978716, Wright City, Missouri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,404 Times in 728 Posts

KenpoDave is pretty close to right. A lot of the Tracy Schools keep the traditional stuff and the people, once they've learned it, tend to personalize it.

That is the Tracy claim to fame, as it were. They teach the traditional stuff and American Kenpo teaches the evolution. That's not saying one is better than the other. No flame intended to anyone. Just the way it appears to be.

However, what is interesting is that, in spite of the Tracy tendency to try and keep things formalized and tight, you can go to many different Tracy schools and see enough minor to major variations to really get an eye opener to the possibilities of the techniques as they are taught.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sigung86
    KenpoDave is pretty close to right. A lot of the Tracy Schools keep the traditional stuff and the people, once they've learned it, tend to personalize it.

That is the Tracy claim to fame, as it were. They teach the traditional stuff and American Kenpo teaches the evolution. That's not saying one is better than the other. No flame intended to anyone. Just the way it appears to be.

However, what is interesting is that, in spite of the Tracy tendency to try and keep things formalized and tight, you can go to many different Tracy schools and see enough minor to major variations to really get an eye opener to the possibilities of the techniques as they are taught.
    Variety is the spice of life!

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

A lot of the Tracy Schools keep the traditional stuff and the people, once they've learned it, tend to personalize it.
    I've noticed that this tends to be true of all of the branches/stlyes/methods/interpretations of Kenpo. In fact one of the primary distinctions of Kenpo is its tendency to personalize. IMHO, of course.

sigung86 is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Wright City, Missouri, United States, 113653311978716, Wright City, Missouri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,404 Times in 728 Posts

Don't want anyone to think that I am putting diversity down. Not in Tracy's. Go to any Tracy School on any given day, and you will see most techniques in variations from mild to wild. Bottom line for you is that it works or not.

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Don't want anyone to think that I am putting diversity down. Not in Tracy's. Go to any Tracy School on any given day, and you will see most techniques in variations from mild to wild. Bottom line for you is that it works or not.
    Yep. Often times, in a seminar, someone will ask Mr. Tracy if a technique should be done this way or that way. Mr. Tracy's standard answer is "Let's see."

If it works, it was right. If not, it was wrong. More often than not, the questioner has developed a "theory" and tested it only in his mind, and discovers that the technique was right before he changed it.
    Dave

"I consider that the spiritual life is the life of man's real self, the life of that interior self whose flame is so often allowed to be smothered under the ashes of anxiety and futile concern." - Thomas Merton

Thanks
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 798 Posts

I was always told there is no wrong, just the possibly of finding better ways of doing things.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpodave
    Yep. Often times, in a seminar, someone will ask Mr. Tracy if a technique should be done this way or that way. Mr. Tracy's standard answer is "Let's see."

If it works, it was right. If not, it was wrong. More often than not, the questioner has developed a "theory" and tested it only in his mind, and discovers that the technique was right before he changed it.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Dan i had someone ask me why i did what i did and put together the ackks after all the years in kenpo,it was just that i see things a little different than others, but when i did this all the teq's had to "make sence"
    and Dan you are about one of the people that understand what i did,oh i'm sorry also Master Ray Arquilla, there are still alot of Tracys hard liners out there.
    " Resolve to be tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,tolerant with the weak and wrong..... Because sometime in your life you will have been all of these"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpodave View Post
    Yep. Often times, in a seminar, someone will ask Mr. Tracy if a technique should be done this way or that way. Mr. Tracy's standard answer is "Let's see." If it works, it was right. If not, it was wrong.
    I loved this post!

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

16. The Following User Says Thank You to John M. La Tourrette For This Useful Post:

Kenpodave (05-16-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    I was always told there is no wrong, just the possibly of finding better ways of doing things.
    Well, in a fight, "wrong" can be real horrible.

So it's best to get that "feedback" before needing it.

I agree that using "feedback" is better than saying "wrong".

Doc John

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John M. La Tourrette View Post
    I loved this post!

Dr. John M. La Tourrette
    I have found that the answers in kenpo, though often simple, are rarely easy.
    Dave

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Kenpodave For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (05-16-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sigung86 View Post
    That is the Tracy claim to fame, as it were. They teach the traditional stuff and American Kenpo teaches the evolution. That's not saying one is better than the other. No flame intended to anyone. Just the way it appears to be..
    It's the Tracy system.

And since it's is their system, and they have many studios they attempt to systemize their system.

Which is a good business decision.

It is also a good martial arts decision.

All systems to be in that system must teach the Master Keys of that system.

They've systemized their system.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links