Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Tracy Bascics Curriculum by Belt Level.

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,902 Times in 5,571 Posts

Default Re: Tracy Bascics Curriculum by Belt Level.

"Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

Thanks

In my high school, many years ago, there were two different teachers that taught calculus. One used the regular curriculum, the other used the Saxon curriculum. Saxon, essentially uses a lot of repetition, with constant review of previous material, as it progresses through new material. Some students naturally do better with one curriculum than the other.

Tracy's, in my opinion, is more like Saxon math. Small incremental learning with continual and constant review. That may work better for some people.

We know that a person's brain needs repetition for the neural pathways to make a move automatic, and make enough redundancies so that it can happen easier, faster, and autonomous.

Eventually, the goal is to be able to adapt pretty much any technique against any attack, on the fly, without thinking about it. Without the repetition, your brain doesn't have the tools to do this.

So does Tracy's really need a Striking Asp A-E, or worse a Crash of the Eagle A-E and Crash of the Eagle Part 2 A-I? No, it doesn't. However, if you need the repetition regardless, and people practice by free styling different endings to a technique, does it really matter if there are variations A-I in crash of the Eagle part 2? If people are free-styling the same endings on their "smaller curriculum" techniques anyway, and thinking they invented something new?

A lot of techniques are simply variations of other techniques. ie It's like Chinese Sword, but add this. Or it's like Kimono Grab but replace this with that. It helps with the repetition.

So do you need hundreds of techniques? No, but I do have an illustration from this very forum. Many years ago there was a video of one of the technique katas, in the discussion we learned several people did not realize the move they were doing in the kata was actually in one instance a joint lock, and in another instance a take down. Because they don't practice those techniques in their curriculum, and probably don't have a technique similar enough to realize what the move was really supposed to be about. I'm not certain of the benefits of making someone practice a kata when you are not even teaching them what the moves are for, except to quote Doc ,"Gotta keep you paying, I mean busy."

I don't think it was mentioned in this thread, but many people on this board disagree with the Tracy Curriculum, where at 2nd Black, besides learning 30 new techniques, you have to do all the yellow-black techniques on the other side. While I agree it's superfluous, I'm also grateful for it. Doing the techniques on the other side is actually harder than one might think. I believe going through the practice is actually good for your brain health, especially as we age (I'm now in my 50's and appreciate those things that stimulate the brain and nervous system).

Certainly, the Tracy's method of repetition is different than other systems; but in the end, isn't it really repetition (of correct movements) that's important?
    Kenpo, moving in open piecewise Bézier curves since 2011

Trying hard not to lapse into speaking kenponics

Been doing computers since 1982, on forums, chats and all for nearly 3 decades. Only ever blocked one person.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to J-squared For This Useful Post:

KirkS (02-24-2020)

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,902 Times in 5,571 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by J-squared View Post
    In my high school, many years ago, there were two different teachers that taught calculus. One used the regular curriculum, the other used the Saxon curriculum. Saxon, essentially uses a lot of repetition, with constant review of previous material, as it progresses through new material. Some students naturally do better with one curriculum than the other.

Tracy's, in my opinion, is more like Saxon math. Small incremental learning with continual and constant review. That may work better for some people.

We know that a person's brain needs repetition for the neural pathways to make a move automatic, and make enough redundancies so that it can happen easier, faster, and autonomous.

Eventually, the goal is to be able to adapt pretty much any technique against any attack, on the fly, without thinking about it. Without the repetition, your brain doesn't have the tools to do this.

So does Tracy's really need a Striking Asp A-E, or worse a Crash of the Eagle A-E and Crash of the Eagle Part 2 A-I? No, it doesn't. However, if you need the repetition regardless, and people practice by free styling different endings to a technique, does it really matter if there are variations A-I in crash of the Eagle part 2? If people are free-styling the same endings on their "smaller curriculum" techniques anyway, and thinking they invented something new?

A lot of techniques are simply variations of other techniques. ie It's like Chinese Sword, but add this. Or it's like Kimono Grab but replace this with that. It helps with the repetition.

So do you need hundreds of techniques? No, but I do have an illustration from this very forum. Many years ago there was a video of one of the technique katas, in the discussion we learned several people did not realize the move they were doing in the kata was actually in one instance a joint lock, and in another instance a take down. Because they don't practice those techniques in their curriculum, and probably don't have a technique similar enough to realize what the move was really supposed to be about. I'm not certain of the benefits of making someone practice a kata when you are not even teaching them what the moves are for, except to quote Doc ,"Gotta keep you paying, I mean busy."

I don't think it was mentioned in this thread, but many people on this board disagree with the Tracy Curriculum, where at 2nd Black, besides learning 30 new techniques, you have to do all the yellow-black techniques on the other side. While I agree it's superfluous, I'm also grateful for it. Doing the techniques on the other side is actually harder than one might think. I believe going through the practice is actually good for your brain health, especially as we age (I'm now in my 50's and appreciate those things that stimulate the brain and nervous system).

Certainly, the Tracy's method of repetition is different than other systems; but in the end, isn't it really repetition (of correct movements) that's important?
    Yep! Or as Mr. Parker put it, "Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect, and also makes it permanent."
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

J-squared (4 Weeks Ago),KirkS (02-24-2020)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links