Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: New 10th degrees

Thanks

Default Re: New 10th degrees

this is just my opinion, but unless you're actually doing something unique and YOUR OWN with Kenpo instead of someone else's material verbatim is there really a point to having a tenth? I mean, there isn't any new material after third or fifth depending on curriculum (at least in parker styles i think). How can you show advancement after tenth? Are you really at the top of the food chain now, are you equal or better than people who promoted you? Does an association become even more democratic now? what are the implications.
    ElizDVM likes this.
    Brian Sheets
    VKKSI Kenpo 1st Black

Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it." ~ Unknown
    "Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting, but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to madeku For This Useful Post:

Doc (07-23-2015),nelson (07-23-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 666 Posts

* DiRienzo

Sorry for the misspelling.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madeku View Post
    this is just my opinion, but unless you're actually doing something unique and YOUR OWN with Kenpo instead of someone else's material verbatim is there really a point to having a tenth? I mean, there isn't any new material after third or fifth depending on curriculum (at least in parker styles i think). How can you show advancement after tenth? Are you really at the top of the food chain now, are you equal or better than people who promoted you? Does an association become even more democratic now? what are the implications.
    Why is it on the table in everyone's system?
    Also Mastering Tsing Tao.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoChanger View Post
    Why is it on the table in everyone's system?
    It just is. Nothing wrong with it obviously. I'm just saying i personally think it's silly if you're -just- doing what your higher ups are doing. Like what should you personally be doing with the art by that point.
    Brian Sheets
    VKKSI Kenpo 1st Black

Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it." ~ Unknown
    "Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting, but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to madeku For This Useful Post:

jdinca (07-24-2015),MarkC (07-24-2015)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

In an ideal world, those promoted to tenth would be committed to promoting/improving the art, not themselves.

They would be willing to mentor those new to the art and interested in advancing it.

We do need leaders in any endeavor.
    Kenpodave likes this.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,924 Times in 2,211 Posts

Why do there have to be so many 10ths?
    "To be, rather than to seem"

"Fix your rear foot ... What the hell is wrong with you?"

"...I already watched the videos, and quite frankly, they're bullsh*t."

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpodave View Post
    The sarcasm is duly noted.

1st, to question the fact that there are 10ths by stating that there were only 7ths when Parker died, without first questioning...never mind.

The same way everyone has achieved rank since rank began.

In this case, each of these men have a certificate signed by the head of the system.

What it speaks to is Al Tracy's lack of ego, his respect for these men that have been with him as students, friends, and colleagues for 50 years, and his acknowledgement of their skills and accomplishments over those years.

This has been in the works for at least 14 years (that's when Mr. Tracy told me about it) and in doing so, Mr. Tracy hopes to avoid the fighting and politics that are still occurring in EPAKK nearly 25 years after the death of Ed Parker.

Nobody will run to Mrs. Tracy claiming anything. Mr. Tracy's opinion of his top people is documented with his signature and witnessed by hundreds.

The original plan was for 12. Two have died, Dick Willet and Tom Kelly. We live in a large country and most of us now have access to a 10th that is within a day or less of driving.

I am appreciative. Al Tracy has answered the question that nobody wants to ask, "What happens to us, the students, if you die? Where so we go to continue?"

For most of us, the answer, now, is nothing will change.

Dave Hopper
    Late Response but very well said...

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyKBoxer View Post
    well, it is not only what I wrote that i believe makes a tenth, but my comment was specifically in reference to yours. Absolutely I think there is a lot more to it. But when we are talking 8th, 9th, and 10th degrees in a martial art, we are talking about a level where the knowledge is not really as much of a factor as it was from 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. I guess it comes down to what each individual organization deems important about the tenth. I have viewed the Tenth as something that is attainable to anyone in a system, not just the founder and lead. In American Kenpo there has been, since before I started in 1992, a stipulation to allow more then 1 tenth degree in the system. It did however reserve a title for our founder. If your system wants to be different then so be it. I think a big problem is so few people have actually read the books, and material that our founder left for us. Even when it is readily available not only on the internet, but on this very forum.
    Solid response and valid points!!! For me one of the main issues is that people are confused or confusing the difference between starting/building and "organization" and creating/building a "System" of the arts. But I have stated this before and find this discussion to be some what entertaining in the aspect that many that are arguing or "discussing" these things are no where close to the time and experience on or off the mat to be trying to determine "what is a tenth?". I do love the comment and mention of the books and the lack of reading thus understanding what the system is, or has to offer as translated by its founder. Although Doc would argue that is the commercial side of it, there is still much to gain from the books where basics are concerned. That being said, I wholeheartedly disagree with about 95% of the guys wearing tenth, some for the reasons that I just mentioned, and some for other reasons.
    Combatkenpo and W.Bridges like this.
    "The problem is not whether or not you like bad kenpo, the problem is recognizing whether or not your kenpo is bad!"
    "learning should be an endless process, learning how to continually learn is the key and requires the release of ego"

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sumdumguy For This Useful Post:

Doc (2 Weeks Ago),KirkS (2 Weeks Ago)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links