Thread: Want to own KenpoTalk?

Bob Hubbard is offline Retired

Thanks
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 1,157 Posts

Default Want to own KenpoTalk?

After a lot of thought, and based on some issues going on in my life, I've decided to to reduce my internet presence. As a result I've decided to put KenpoTalk up for sale.

KenpoTalk's asking price is $25,000.

Sale price includes:
    - The KenpoTalk.com domain name
    - The KenpoTalk.com forum database
    - All non forum static html
    - The kenpotalkmagazine.com domain name
    - 1 owned vBulletin forum license.

I'll remain on for 1 month to transition the site to a new owner.

It's been alot of fun, but I can no longer afford to continue to operate the site. It's been suggested that I simply role the site over into MT, but, I would prefer to see it continue as it's own entity.

My thanks to all of our members and staff for making KT what it is, the leading Kenpo community bar none.

Interested parties can contact me directly to discuss particulars and terms.
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

Thanks

Default Re: Want to own KenpoTalk?

I've been asked "Why?" regarding my intention to sell the site.
    The simple truth is, with everything else I have going on in life right now, I'm spread too thin financially.

Kenpotalk isn't in danger of shutting down tomorrow, or even the next day. At worse, if the funding needed to continue independant operations doesn't come in, and a buyer doesn't step forward, I'll roll the site into MT somehow around New Years.

Right now, if you would like to continue KT as a separate and independant site, I need your help and support. If the site can hit a self-sufficency level, then I'll gladly keep it going as-is.

How can you help?

Supporting Memberships:

A supporting membership comes in several sizes and levels. From a nominal monthly trial, to an annual supporting membership, to the new high level Gold Key Club, we have a support level for everyone!

Gold Key Club? What's That?
    * All of the features of a Supporting Member.
    * Recognition of your special status as a with Gold colored username.
    * Ability to store up to 500 Private Messages
    * Increased Avatar size
    * Increased Profile Picture size
    * Increased signature image size

Note: 1 year payment does not auto renew.

Please click here for current offerings and rates.

Sponsorships
    Sponsor a discussion area, help support KenpoTalk.
    KenpoTalk reaches over 69 Thousand people every month. For as little as $25 you can put your message in front of them and help support the best Kenpo resource and community online today. For full rates and information, please click here.

Business and Personal Services
    KenpoTalk also offers web hosting and web site design services.
    Hosting plans range from low cost starter plans at a mere $120/year to a huge yet affordable 1 Gigabyte plan at an affordable monthly rate.
    Web site design is also available offering custom solutions for your school, club or organization, also at affordable rates.

Contact me for more information.

Need Photographic Services, Photo Editing, Logo Design, Internet Marketing Advice, or an instructor/speaker for a martial arts business seminar?
    I am available for all of those at reasonable and affordable rates and terms. Please contact me for more information on how I can help you with your needs, and you in turn can help support MartialTalk and keep us growing and improving.

For more information, or if you have any questions, please contact me directly or reply to this thread.
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

Nemesis is offline The messenger of Justice
    Thanks

Best I can do right now is add the Gold Key. I will talk to you privately about some other things soon.

How many Supporting Members are there and what will it take money wise to keep the site live?
    “She whom none can escape”

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nemesis For This Useful Post:

Bob Hubbard (09-17-2007),MARSHALLS KENPO (09-18-2007),rockpj (09-17-2007)

Thanks

current count is 36 supporting members.

100 supporting members, 50 gold key, 5 sponsors or 15 hosting clients would keep enough cash flow to keep the site going, expanding and upgrading each year, until the time it needs it's own server, then it'll take all of that to make it all happen.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

For the $19.95/year for a supporting membership for the the member is getting so much more value than the dollar amount.

The hidden forums for the instructors and owners has the potential for every school owner to network and bounce ideas off people who are in the spot they are in or have been. You can not even consider business mentoring for the miniscule cost of a supporting membership.

The reference library where every member can find techniques, forms and sets written out, along with the other sub-sections of the reference library make this an invaluable resource. In reality, what is $19.95, a month of coffee every day on your way to work. That is peanuts, look at it this way, roughly 5.4 cents a day to help maintain this site. Where else can you go and share knowledge with having a thousand flame wars a year, with out being bullied by people who should know better, and with out pop ups as you surf.

If you like this site, if you find value in this site, then help support this site, or we will lose this site. And as great of a site as MartialTalk is it will never have the feel of KenpoTalk
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rob Broad For This Useful Post:

Bob Hubbard (09-18-2007),Gin-Gin2 (10-05-2007),John M. La Tourrette (09-18-2007),rockpj (09-18-2007)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Mr. Hubbard:

Thanks for expressing your concerns for the continuation of this site and bringing it to our attention. I'm new to it and it's well done and I commend you for the quality of detailed information it appears to have within its categories. Count me in as a Supporting Member.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rockpj For This Useful Post:

Bob Hubbard (09-18-2007),Celtic_Crippler (09-18-2007),Rob Broad (09-18-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    For the $19.95/year for a supporting membership for the the member is getting so much more value than the dollar amount.

The hidden forums for the instructors and owners has the potential for every school owner to network and bounce ideas off people who are in the spot they are in or have been. You can not even consider business mentoring for the miniscule cost of a supporting membership.

The reference library where every member can find techniques, forms and sets written out, along with the other sub-sections of the reference library make this an invaluable resource. In reality, what is $19.95, a month of coffee every day on your way to work. That is peanuts, look at it this way, roughly 5.4 cents a day to help maintain this site. Where else can you go and share knowledge with having a thousand flame wars a year, with out being bullied by people who should know better, and with out pop ups as you surf.

If you like this site, if you find value in this site, then help support this site, or we will lose this site. And as great of a site as MartialTalk is it will never have the feel of KenpoTalk
    I agree with you but...

...unfortunately the way it is currently expressed is NOT the best way to do it, nor the best way to motivate others to spend even a penny.

Because in their minds they would be spending instead of losing out on something so valuable, that if they don't do it, they'll be kicking themselves in the ass for the rest of their lives.

If Bob or Rob would like to email me I can share some of what I know, and use to be very successful.

I just do NOT want to do it on a public forum.

docspeed2001@yahoo.com

I will give those 2 people the information if they choose to email me.

Why would I do this?

Because both Bob and Rob are doing one tremendous job and I'd like to see it continue.
    Last edited by John M. La Tourrette; 09-18-2007 at 09:05 PM.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John M. La Tourrette For This Useful Post:

Bob Hubbard (10-02-2007),Dianhsuhe (09-19-2007),kwanli (09-19-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

I did a search for "Gold Key Club", just curious what it is and what it does.

Could you explain it please?
    Thanks
    Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

If I had 25G's laying around I'd help you out more.

Weren't you selling ad space? Is that not working out for you?

Anyway, I'll do what I can to help.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John M. La Tourrette View Post
    I agree with you but...

...unfortunately the way it is currently expressed is NOT the best way to do it, nor the best way to motivate others to spend even a penny.

Because in their minds they would be spending instead of losing out on something so valuable, that if they don't do it, they'll be kicking themselves in the ass for the rest of their lives.

If Bob or Rob would like to email me I can share some of what I know, and use to be very successful.

I just do NOT want to do it on a public forum.

docspeed2001@yahoo.com

I will give those 2 people the information if they choose to email me.

Why would I do this?

Because both Bob and Rob are doing one tremendous job and I'd like to see it continue.
    I'll drop you a line off-forum. More options can't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Brother John View Post
    I did a search for "Gold Key Club", just curious what it is and what it does.

Could you explain it please?
    Thanks
    Your Brother
    John
    It gives you some extra perks.
    * All of the features of a Supporting Member.
    * Recognition of your special status as a with Gold colored username and tag
    * Ability to store up to 500 Private Messages
    * Increased Avatar size 200x200 24k
    * Increased Profile Picture size 350x350 99k
    * Increased signature image size 460x100 11k

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    If I had 25G's laying around I'd help you out more.

Weren't you selling ad space? Is that not working out for you?

Anyway, I'll do what I can to help.
    Haven't had much luck with selling ads on KT. Something I don't get, because the cost of advertising here is pretty affordable. $25 gets a months worth reaching 69,000 people. That's, lunch for 2 at Olive Garden or Red Robin.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,069 Posts

69000 unique visitors?

What kind of click-throughs are current advertisers getting?

I have a web site that I am considering doing a bit of paid advertising for (www.kungfubooksonline.com) Can you send me some stats?

thanks!
    -David
    -David C
    http://www.kungfubooksonline.com

"...while you guys are arguing, I'm on the grind."
    - an anonymous brick puncher

"If you don't ask the right questions, I can't give you the answers, and if you don't know the right question to ask, you're not ready for the answers"
    -Ed Parker Sr.

"For many a 'system' is just a bunch of techniques. It should be much, much more than that..."
    - Doc Chapel

Thanks

From my stats analysis:
    Hits 1682640
    Total Data Transferred 9.38 gigabytes
    Total Visiting Users 99,055
    Time Period June 30, 2007, 07:48:59 AM to July 31, 2007, 11:47:31 AM
    Average Hits per User 16.99
    Average Users per Day 3,095.47
    Average Data Transferred per Day 300.04 megabytes
    Hits cached by Client 576,801 (34.28&#37
    Report generated on August 24, 2007 at 08:02:15 PM
    Incomplete downloads/file requests 518 (0.03%)
    Log spans a period of 32 days
    Total failed requests 49,793 (2.96%)
    Average Data Transferred per User 99.25 kilobytes
    Average Hits per Day 52,582.50
    Average Data Transferred per Hit 5.84 kilobytes
    Each user has visited approximately 10.54 times
    Hits on Pages 468,751
    Hits on Files 125,101
    Hits for Graphics 1,038,995
    Total time spent by all users on this web site 1,374 days, 21 hours, 35 minutes, 26 seconds
    Average time spent by a single user of the web site 11 minutes, 28 seconds

I don't track click throughs right now though. I've found most of the click-trackers to be unreliable, and usually suggest that people check their weblogs for a more accurate referal count. About the best click-count I can give is the hosting banner at the top of the page has generated over 9,600 views since May. My sci-fi fandom site, about 50 a month by comparison.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,069 Posts

thanks!
    -David C
    http://www.kungfubooksonline.com

"...while you guys are arguing, I'm on the grind."
    - an anonymous brick puncher

"If you don't ask the right questions, I can't give you the answers, and if you don't know the right question to ask, you're not ready for the answers"
    -Ed Parker Sr.

"For many a 'system' is just a bunch of techniques. It should be much, much more than that..."
    - Doc Chapel

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Hey Bob,

Seems I'm naturally migrating more from MT over to here, so just signed up for Gold Key. Wish I could do more, but I'm just a lowly teacher. Really hope we can keep this site separate, since I'm finding it much more in tune with my background. I'm guessing there are many others who have the same experience.
    Do not do injury, if you can possibly avoid it. -- Tielo, 6th Century Ireland

I personally would like to see more people working to develop their own skills than wasting time trying to be a kenpo policeman. -- Bob White

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Shepherd For This Useful Post:

Bob Hubbard (10-02-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Exclamation Re: Want to own KenpoTalk?

I know I've been gone for awhile (life stuff, plus I found out a couple of weeks ago that I have a test coming up in January so I'm getting ready for that) but I am sorry to hear about the lack of funding--as Bob & some of the older members know, I was one of the first Supporting Members & a former Mod because I believed in KT (& still do). Although it's had some ups & downs over the past couple of years, I've noticed a lot of good discussion in recent months, which I hope will continue.

Let's keep KT alive, people!

I hope everyone will consider at least a Supporting Membership (if not a Gold Key)--for the reasons Rob Broad laid out so well in his post.

FYI--Bob, I'm trying to make a contribution via Paypal right now (am waiting for it to e-mail me my password). If that doesn't work, I'll just mail a money order to you.

Thanks,
    Gin-Gin2
    The truly educated never graduate.
    "To understand the heart & mind of a person, look not at what they have already achieved, but what they aspire to do." -Kahlil Gibran

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gin-Gin2 For This Useful Post:

Bob Hubbard (10-05-2007),John M. La Tourrette (10-15-2007)

Thanks

Well, been a month, figured I should update this.

Kenpotalk picked up a couple more supporting members. Not as many as I'd like, but it helps, greatly.

So, those of you holding your breath wondering when the plug gets pulled can relax a bit. Eventually however, KenpoTalk is going to hit the same "We need our own server" point that MartialTalk hit, and since I am not independently wealthy, and quality servers and hosting isn't cheep, we'll need to raise some serious coin then to tackle the next step. It's easier to phase it in over a few months, than to suddenly need to pull together a few hundred a month. All of my sites are run from professional data centers on real servers, not just stuck on a spare dsl line and old home PC like a lot of martial arts sites.

Regarding the sale of the site, it is still for sale, to the right buyer, for the right price. I've been informed that one person on another site took exception to the site being for sale, but this individual rarely supports anything with his own coin so his opinion is worth about what he put into MT and KT financially. That being, nada.

This same sorry individual has taken offense at my signature image for my photography business, referring to it as "owner's lesbian s&m soft porn" and continues to misrepresent why his and a few others accounts here and on MartialTalk were terminated.

Regarding my photography work, I'm sorry, but I do not shoot S&M, nor do I shoot porn, soft or hard. I shoot " Family, Children, Teen, Senior and Executive Portraits - Events - Scenic - Model and Actor Portfolio" as well as Fine Art and Fine Art Nudes. One would expect an educator to know the differences between those and "porn". Since the number of sponsors for this site is small, I felt I as the owner had a right to place my own ad in an attempt to support myself and this site. Considering that this is the first sign I've had that anyone waas bothered by it, I'll ask here, now.

Anyone have a problem with my sig image?
    The associated site?

Let me know. Here, or in a PM.

As to the other continuous remote whining, the argument is about those individuals sent to "Seek Tranquility". Since Dec 2005, we've sent a mere =5= people to that special group. A group reserved for those special people who are simply incapable of following the rules of this site, who delighted in spiting at those who volunteer their time to run it, or antagonizing those members who came here looking for mature discourse and instead got intellectual browbeating and shear barbarianistic bullying. They, and many of you know who they are, were given many many chances to conform to our policies but were unwilling and incapable of doing so. I am sure one or more of them will continue their babbling elsewhere, where potty mouths and neandertholic chest pounding are the preferred activity.

KenpoTalk was never meant to be a place for bravado, cyber bullies, or penis measuring contests. It was never meant to be a place for "my sensei can beat your sensei", fraud busting, school yard language or "cliques".

It still isn't.

It's meant to be an online place where those tenets, sayings, beliefs, morals, ethics and other rules of behavior are put into practice, in a cyber-way. For the most part, I think we've done pretty good these past few years, with those who prefer to swear and act superior long since exiled to mud pits and cesspools elsewhere, where they now hold sway as king crap.

If you want to keep this site online, keep it growing, keep it one of the few places where you can express an opinion, discuss a technique or engage in mature discourse with other martial artists, please, support it.
    Become a supporting member, sponsor a section, spread the word about the site to friends and students, add us to your own site's links, and post post post!

Kenpotalk is what you our members make it in the end.

Thank you.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Hubbard For This Useful Post:

Celtic_Crippler (11-07-2007),Gin-Gin2 (11-06-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Talking Re: Want to own KenpoTalk?

Are you kidding me? Do I mind the banner? I think it is rather cool! And yes, as the owner of the site you should have the privelege and the right to post banners for any other sites you have. Especially for ones that make you the money you have to live on.

So to answer your question, no I do not mind the banner. I do have to admit until I looked at it closer though I thought it looked like "alternate" activities being protrayed. But, if you look at it closely you can tell that it is not "pornographic" in nature. I think the one girl laying over the other one and the one with the sword might be a little to hard to tell what they really are when it is displayed at the higher resolutions. But, who cares what other people think of them. We all know that you do photography for hire and if someone wanted to hire you to take pictures that other studios would not, then who are they to say anything about it.

Let the idiots say what they may, if the people they are talking to believe them without confirming the facts then those are not the people we need here anyway. After all, we are scholars here and that means we trust but verify.
    Devil Dog Mark
    Hawaiian Kempo & Okinawan Kubudo

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Devildogmrk For This Useful Post:

Bob Hubbard (11-06-2007),Gin-Gin2 (11-06-2007)

Thanks

I don't participate in porn, so on the one hand Im a bit offended. On the other hand, its not my problem that people are too stupid and/or lazy to tell the difference. They're looking at any way to bad mouth the site and Bob personally, and to them that means making up something based on some pictures he took.
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Miyu For This Useful Post:

Bob Hubbard (11-07-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Miyu View Post
    I don't participate in porn, so on the one hand Im a bit offended. On the other hand, its not my problem that people are too stupid and/or lazy to tell the difference. They're looking at any way to bad mouth the site and Bob personally, and to them that means making up something based on some pictures he took.
    Even more reason not to give the bastards the satisfaction of KT going away.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Meh.

Google bomb the place and associate it with lesbian porn, free beer, 50 yard line seats, chinese buffets, and Lindsay Lohan and see what that does to the hit count.

Just don't ask me to be tech admin, mmmkay?

Kidding. Sorta.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links