Thread: Recent Site Access Issues (Jan 2013)

Bob Hubbard is offline Retired

Thanks
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 1,157 Posts

Default Recent Site Access Issues (Jan 2013)

Over the last week we've had several sustained periods where the site has been sluggish or flat out inaccessible. I apologize for these issues. Several of the sites on our server including Kenpotalk have been hit with repeated heavy break in attempts by what's referred to as a "Distributed Denial of Service Attack" or DDOS. This is where someone runs a script from multiple locations and overwhelms the target with many many attempts to guess logins. The high demands placed on the server cause it to run out of memory and rapidly lock up from the load. (This is an over simplification so please no geeks getting techy. )

We are working on solutions from several directions, and hopefully will be blocking these 'nice people' shortly. We are also working on a move to a new server in February for more protection and performance.

Again, I apologize for the inconveniences and appreciate everyone's understanding and continued support.

Thank you!
    Bob
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bob Hubbard For This Useful Post:

jdinca (01-12-2013),John Brewer (01-12-2013),KirkS (01-12-2013),nelson (01-12-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,046 Times in 632 Posts

Default Re: Recent Site Access Issues (Jan 2013)

Bob thanks for the heads up

Is it some sort of hack attack or what?
    Tradition is not about the preservation of the ashes, but about keeping the flame alive

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it".
    ~George Orwell
    Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way." Booker T. Washington

Thanks

Basically some idiot found a poorly written script that is walking through the websites on our server and trying every door, window and mailbox for a way in. The script throws everything at a site it finds in 1 mass attack, rather than at a gradual pace. It's a hack attempt, failing due in part to our security, and in part to crappy coding on their end.
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Hubbard For This Useful Post:

KirkS (01-12-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hubbard View Post
    Basically some idiot found a poorly written script that is walking through the websites on our server and trying every door, window and mailbox for a way in. The script throws everything at a site it finds in 1 mass attack, rather than at a gradual pace. It's a hack attempt, failing due in part to our security, and in part to crappy coding on their end.
    Brute force.

as far as please no techy geeky... Awwwww, but how often do I get to talk about Smurf vs Fraggle (ICMP vs UDP), or a Syn attack to crash the server, or old school Satan Or even taking multable virus and running it through a mutation script to fool the existing flags or or or..... ..... stuff!!!!

Hehehe, stupid script kiddies.

Bunny SMASH!!!!
    "Do you have any bactine? Some of this blood is mine."

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MrBunny For This Useful Post:

Bob Hubbard (01-16-2013)

Thanks

We're using a combination of CSF and Mod-Security (along with a few other bits) server-side to filter out most of the rabble. Those that get through hit the third and fourth layers depending on what we're running. I've for a few things installed on the vB sites I won't mention to block spammers from getting through (besides our manual activation process for new signups). Right now it's wordpress installations being targeted, which we'v reinforced with heavy heavy .htaccess rules combined with several security plug ins and another firewall.

(The servers are also regularly checked several times per year for security issues, kept current on patches and other concerns, as well as running 24/7/365 antivirus and real time monitoring.)

After a week of this though, my keurig's almost paid for itself 3 months ahead of schedule. lol

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links