Thread: SL4 Complementary/Auxiliary Training

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Default SL4 Complementary/Auxiliary Training

Greetings.

I recently returned weightlifting as a way to complement my training. Mostly power lifts, olympic lifts and movements like throwing and stuff.

I ask, what kind of complementary/conditioning training do you recommend Doc?

When I formulated this question to myself, and for Doc to consider it, I came up with first, I should do lotsa repetitions of the basics with BAMs and PAMs in SET training.

Also, drilling and doing techniques intensely with a partner is quite a good workout.

So I was thinking along the lines of calisthenics, weightlifting and such with SL4/PNF twists.

I think Bode talked about something along those lines a while ago, yet gave no specific examples or routines.

Thanks.

Juan M. Mercado

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: SL4 Complementary/Auxiliary Training

Quote Originally Posted by profesormental View Post
    Greetings.

I recently returned weightlifting as a way to complement my training. Mostly power lifts, olympic lifts and movements like throwing and stuff.

When I formulated this question to myself, and for Doc to consider it, I came up with first, I should do lotsa repetitions of the basics with BAMs and PAMs in SET training.

Also, drilling and doing techniques intensely with a partner is quite a good workout.

So I was thinking along the lines of calisthenics, weightlifting and such with SL4/PNF twists.

I think Bode talked about something along those lines a while ago, yet gave no specific examples or routines.

Thanks.

Juan M. Mercado
    When I lift it isn't to compliment my training as much as knowing I am getting in some exercise without having to mentally think about what I am doing. I lift a few times a week for the relaxing feeling of not having to think mentally what next, it is nice to have an excuse to get away from the screaming child. But I would have to say doing squats are one of my favorite exercises even though I hate doing them. The strength they can add to your whole body is great for the legs and the back. Too many times when people go to the gym they go to get the upper body in shape, an example Vin Diesel has a strong upper body but chicken legs below. Don't over look the whole frame. You will get the power you need by learning the correct way to do a technique.

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,934 Times in 5,591 Posts

Greetings.

Thanks.

Juan M. Mercado
    I don't. It takes care of itself. Other than indexing for moving weights, not a thing. Whatever time you use on a muscle group with resistance, you must use an equal amount in stretching that same group.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Ooops.

I should reformulate the question. I now see I wasn't clear, since normally I write without rereading.

I use weightlifting as a complementary/auxiliary training to Kenpo.

What kind of complementary/auxiliary training is suggested for SL-4 Kenpo?

Weights? calisthenics? running? pilates ( )? etc.

Sorry for the mixup! Thanks for the responses!

Juan M. Mercado

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I suppose I can shed some light on how I train.
    The trend in almost all high end fighters (and probably athlete) training is away from weights. They are typically supplementary for building bulk, but not the focus. Functional Strength training is the way to go.

While I am not a high end athlete I tend to stay in good shape and push myself to the limit. I like the mental aspect of training. With that in mind I train with a mix of active and dynamic stretching, plyometrics, weights, and core exercises. I usually don't rest much in my 1 - 1.5 hour workouts and prefer to keep my heart rate elevated.

For instance, if I were to target chest I might work out with the following:
    1) 10 Minute warm up. Vigorous. Using an eliptical like machine at it's highest setting.

2) Stretch for 5 Minutes.

3) Start with my feet on a core ball (big balls you sit on) and my hands on the platform of a Bosu ball (Half a ball). I do as many pushups as I can with my feet and hands being on unstable platforms. Causes my core to work more. In between these sets I do some dynamic stretching. (kicks, side steps, and anything that elongates my legs. I am always tight there). I'll probably do this 4 times.

4) Switch to plyometrics now that I am warmed up. One excercise I like is uses a hard ball that fits in your palm. Place the ball under your hand and get in a push up position. Now do an explosive pushup and FLICK the ball to the opposite hand, landing in a pushup position. Repeat. (It's hard, I suggest building towards this. Plyo is not for everyone).
    In between I keep doing dynamic stretches

5) Cable crossovers witha lunge. With a cable machine behind me I stand at attention. One cable in each hand at chest height. Now I step forward into a lunge and bring my hand in front of me (Like Fly's on a bench) then stand back into attention. Repeat and alternate legs.

There are ton more plyometric and core exercises. I could go on forever. The theme becomes apparent. Explosive moves and stretching. For legs I have a very cool plyo and core workout. Lots of cable and unstable surfaces. I also do a lot of power yoga because the stretching and core aspects are exactly what I am looking for. I am not a pro so a certain amount of what I do is for longevity. Plus, all the hot women are in yoga.

I'll keep an eye on this thread if you have any questions.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Brad Bode
    Martial Science University
    SubLevel Four Kenpo

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bode For This Useful Post:

DavidCC (07-28-2008),profesormental (07-28-2008)

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Greetings.

Thanks for the response. So the most important part of the workout is the primal motivation factor (Yoga Girls!).

Up to now I have 2 days of heavy weightlifting doing Olympic and Power lifts (Cleans, Presses, Jerks, Deadlifts, Bench, Rows, etc.).

Another day I do more martial specific things, simulating throws, lifting people, explosive presses, and plyometrics.

Heavy-Specific-Heavy.

I like the aspect of antagonism and accomplishment from going to war with some of the lifts... fun!

I keep my workouts at about 45 min. to 1 hour.

More on this later. I hope this thread is helpful.

Juan M. Mercado

Thanks
    Thanked 4,372 Times in 1,426 Posts

Greetings.

Thanks for the response. So the most important part of the workout is the primal motivation factor (Yoga Girls!).

Up to now I have 2 days of heavy weightlifting doing Olympic and Power lifts (Cleans, Presses, Jerks, Deadlifts, Bench, Rows, etc.).

Another day I do more martial specific things, simulating throws, lifting people, explosive presses, and plyometrics.

Heavy-Specific-Heavy.

I like the aspect of antagonism and accomplishment from going to war with some of the lifts... fun!

I keep my workouts at about 45 min. to 1 hour.

More on this later. I hope this thread is helpful.

Juan M. Mercado
    In the world of weights, body-builders and power-lifters are quick to make a distinction from each other. Body-builders go for pretty muscles that look good tan; power-lifters go for functional strength. May not look as good, but much better for bangin' around with bad guys. One of my bouncing and BJJ buddies from days gone by was a 2-time power-lifting champ in his weight division for California. Big boy. Strong. Scary when he got mad and used his strength to power his decisions.

I could barely dead-lift his benching weight to help it off the bar for him. He could hit a lot harder than I could.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Yep. I'm going with the functional strength camp.

That is why I go for the power and olympic lifts and pulls.

I'm also slowly pushing for doing them one arm one leg bodyweight exercises that I now look really funny working at them.

I hope to get there though!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,069 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dave in da house View Post
    In the world of weights, body-builders and power-lifters are quick to make a distinction from each other. Body-builders go for pretty muscles that look good tan; power-lifters go for functional strength. May not look as good, but much better for bangin' around with bad guys. One of my bouncing and BJJ buddies from days gone by was a 2-time power-lifting champ in his weight division for California. Big boy. Strong. Scary when he got mad and used his strength to power his decisions.

I could barely dead-lift his benching weight to help it off the bar for him. He could hit a lot harder than I could.
    Was that the same guy that went to the Gracie challenge?

my only workout outside the dojo is on cardio, once I loe some more weight and build some mroe stamina I will then evaluate a more detailed program. Excellent examples Mr. Bode I will pass that on to my wife she is looking for a better workout than she is doing now, she's hit a wall.
    -David C
    http://www.kungfubooksonline.com

"...while you guys are arguing, I'm on the grind."
    - an anonymous brick puncher

"If you don't ask the right questions, I can't give you the answers, and if you don't know the right question to ask, you're not ready for the answers"
    -Ed Parker Sr.

"For many a 'system' is just a bunch of techniques. It should be much, much more than that..."
    - Doc Chapel

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

A few notes:

Fedor Emelianko, without a doubt the most dominant heavyweight full contact fighter, does not lift weights according to my readings.

Watching personal trainers at some of the better gyms will give you some ideas for new workouts. I steal from them all the time.

Watching trainers that train real athletes is even better. You'll be amazed at the simplistic, low weight workouts they do and still stay unbelievably fit. Body weight workouts, etc...

I too, do the clean and jerk, power lift type stuff, but never too heavy. You can't get a better all around body workout in a short amount of time.

Checkout http://www.crossfit.com/ for some cool workouts and info...

Or better yet, if you have some money, this site rocks. Daily workouts by a guy, who I know, that is top notch. http://www.maxworkoutclub.com/
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Brad Bode
    Martial Science University
    SubLevel Four Kenpo

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Somewhere I have some workouts that Georges St. Pierre does, and they are very simple, intense workouts. Also, wrestling coaches for top notch NCAA teams train similarly...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,925 Times in 2,211 Posts

I also like Mr. Bode's suggestions and will keep them in mind.
    For me these days, aside from kenpo(and kempo too), I mostly just run and ride my mountain bike. Pushups, crunches and stretches, and I'll also hold a 10 lb. dumb bell in each hand and go through various punching, striking and blocking sets, then do them again with out the weights.
    Not that I recommend any of this to anyone else, or think that anyone else would find it useful...except the running, which I think is good for anybody who can do it. I'd rather run outside than on a machine in a gym.

You know what? I don't know why I posted this here, I have no SL-4 experience! Forgive, please.
    "To be, rather than to seem"

"Fix your rear foot ... What the hell is wrong with you?"

"...I already watched the videos, and quite frankly, they're bullsh*t."

Thanks
    Thanked 4,372 Times in 1,426 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DavidCC View Post
    Was that the same guy that went to the Gracie challenge?
    Ayup.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links