Thread: Shield and Sword

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Shield and Sword

Doc,

Can a startled reflex be one that would initiate a step forward as in the technique, “shield and sword?” This feels unnatural to me if I am truly startled and I am guessing that this would be an unnatural action. For example, when I burn my fingers or hands I always jump back not forward as I remove my hand.

With the above said, how do you execute “shield and sword” incorporating a startled reflex initial response? Are you startled and move back and then proceed to move forward with the technique?

-Carl

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,952 Times in 5,600 Posts

Default Re: Shield and Sword

Quote Originally Posted by blfycdq View Post
    Doc,

Can a startled reflex be one that would initiate a step forward as in the technique, “shield and sword?” This feels unnatural to me if I am truly startled and I am guessing that this would be an unnatural action. For example, when I burn my fingers or hands I always jump back not forward as I remove my hand.

With the above said, how do you execute “shield and sword” incorporating a startled reflex initial response? Are you startled and move back and then proceed to move forward with the technique?

-Carl
    That is an excellent question sir. Consider this before we talk about the technique itself, because there will be differences in our interpretations of “Shield and Sword.” Ours is a left straight punch with the default response designed to allow you to step forward and to the right.

Everything we do is height, width, depth, level of aggression/threat and awareness sensitive. Subtle differences in the Assault Trigger, will create likewise subtle reactions between left or right, forward or backwards, up or down, or a combination of reactions.

Beginning with “Aggression/Threat and Awareness,” this alone will dictate the possible options in an assault. Caught completely unaware suggest we will be punched. No awareness would produce the effect of your observations. That is what happens when you touch something inadvertently “hot.” You are unaware. Minimally unaware is more likely in this scenario, however the variables are immense.

But, even though we may be minimally unaware, the punch once recognized, may be perceived to be more to the left side of our centerline, and our Startle Reflex could easily be triggered to move the hands and body to our right.

“A straight on centerline punch between the eyes,” might cause us to recoil rearward on one level and/or duck on another. To the “right or left” would cause the opposite response, or “down.” Something falls at your feet causes “rearward and/or up.”

Consider the perceived “Level of Threat” is a factor as well. We react differently as the perceived level rises based on all of our senses. Loud noises (hearing), facial expressions and body language (visual), all play a part in non-contact assault preliminary assessments on a sub-conscious level of the autonomic nervous system. "Aggression" is the human component, but "Threat" is an overall assessment component. Someone drops and anvil toward your foot, the reflex actions will be different from a dropped dish because the perceived "threat level" will be higher.

So always begin your assessment of technique applications with

“Everything we do is height, width, depth, level of aggression/threat and awareness sensitive.”
    – Doc Chapél
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

1point21Jigowatts (12-01-2007),blfycdq (12-06-2007),DavidCC (11-30-2007),SilentWar (01-15-2008)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links