Thread: Captured Leaves

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

Default Captured Leaves

Dr. Chapel.
    I was teaching this technique last week. While we were covering this my student was asking question upon question about this technique. He got me to thinking about it as well.

Starting at the actual attack. This is how I teach the actual attack. I had explained an attacker coming from the flank side or from behind to grab the fingers. After securing the fingers I would then step forward with my left foot. While the step occurs my right hand would grab ontop of their forearm (towards the elbow) to secure it downward and against my body. As the attacker I want their elbow pinched into my arm and body. This is what I've been taught as well as use it as a comealong technique.

If you don't mind me asking. What really makes this technique work? When raising my arm upward what's to stop them from letting go to assume a left fighting stance of their own? Personally thinking about this scenario; if the attacker himself is comfortable or skilled enough to grab me like this, then they certainly have enough skill to counter fight or expect to.

Here is the write up in our reference library. I don't do this technique exactly the same way it is written but fairly close. I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Captured Leaves (Front- Right Finger Lock)
    1. An attacker at 12 o'clock grabs your right hand fingers.

2. Step your right foot to 12 o'clock into a right fighting stance as you raise your right hand into the air.

3. Pivot into a right reverse bow and utilize marriage of gravity, sinking into your stance as you pull your attacker's right arm down over your right shoulder with both your right and left hand grabbing.

4. Pivot counter-clockwise and execute a left back elbow strike to your attacker's ribs.

5. Switch grabs and execute a right back elbow strike to your attacker's ribs.

6. Cross out towards 6 o'clock.

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Captured Leaves

Doc,

What might be the "startled reflex" action pertaining to this type of attack? Pinning of the attacker's hand with your own? Or maybe pulling your hand back quickly?

-Curious Carl

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,952 Times in 5,600 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jfarnsworth View Post
    Dr. Chapel.
    I was teaching this technique last week. While we were covering this my student was asking question upon question about this technique. He got me to thinking about it as well.

Starting at the actual attack. This is how I teach the actual attack. I had explained an attacker coming from the flank side or from behind to grab the fingers. After securing the fingers I would then step forward with my left foot. While the step occurs my right hand would grab ontop of their forearm (towards the elbow) to secure it downward and against my body. As the attacker I want their elbow pinched into my arm and body. This is what I've been taught as well as use it as a comealong technique.

If you don't mind me asking. What really makes this technique work? When raising my arm upward what's to stop them from letting go to assume a left fighting stance of their own? Personally thinking about this scenario; if the attacker himself is comfortable or skilled enough to grab me like this, then they certainly have enough skill to counter fight or expect to.

Here is the write up in our reference library. I don't do this technique exactly the same way it is written but fairly close. I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Captured Leaves (Front- Right Finger Lock)
    1. An attacker at 12 o'clock grabs your right hand fingers.

2. Step your right foot to 12 o'clock into a right fighting stance as you raise your right hand into the air.

3. Pivot into a right reverse bow and utilize marriage of gravity, sinking into your stance as you pull your attacker's right arm down over your right shoulder with both your right and left hand grabbing.

4. Pivot counter-clockwise and execute a left back elbow strike to your attacker's ribs.

5. Switch grabs and execute a right back elbow strike to your attacker's ribs.

6. Cross out towards 6 o'clock.
    There is a back story to many of these types of techniques in kenpo Karate. Most were suggested by either sports wrestling, or go back to Kenpo Karate's Jiujitsu lineage. To that extent, many of these techniques are addressed that have no validity in the reality of street confrontations. This technique is one of them.

Consider this. A guy wants to attack you on the street so he eases up on you and grabs you by the fingers to put you in a lock. Have you thought about it long enough? Do you really see this scenario taking place?

With decent body mechanics this technique can be reduced to what we call a "wipe." When your "Startle Reflex" is activated, (which will draw your hand back to the torso for limb assessment).

Hey Jason, when someone grabs your fingers, index your arm and hand and BAM with the free hand and "wipe" down your arm removing what's left of the seize.

Case close. Sometimes things can be over complicated, or scenarios conjured up to fit a preconceivced response.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

Celtic_Crippler (11-13-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    There is a back story to many of these types of techniques in kenpo Karate. Most were suggested by either sports wrestling, or go back to Kenpo Karate's Jiujitsu lineage. To that extent, many of these techniques are addressed that have no validity in the reality of street confrontations. This technique is one of them.

Consider this. A guy wants to attack you on the street so he eases up on you and grabs you by the fingers to put you in a lock. Have you thought about it long enough? Do you really see this scenario taking place?

With decent body mechanics this technique can be reduced to what we call a "wipe." When your "Startle Reflex" is activated, (which will draw your hand back to the torso for limb assessment).

Hey Jason, when someone grabs your fingers, index your arm and hand and BAM with the free hand and "wipe" down your arm removing what's left of the seize.

Case close. Sometimes things can be over complicated, or scenarios conjured up to fit a preconceivced response.
    But this motion senerio takes place all the time.
    Sean

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,952 Times in 5,600 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blfycdq View Post
    Doc,

What might be the "startled reflex" action pertaining to this type of attack? Pinning of the attacker's hand with your own? Or maybe pulling your hand back quickly?

-Curious Carl
    When there is an "intrusion," the starle reflex mechanism will draw the limb back to the torso to 'assess' the situation. Much like if you were to feel something crawling on your hand, or inadvertently touched something hot.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

Mikael151 (11-17-2007)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links