Thread: Timing Signatures: Interpretation of annotations and how they inform executions...

Thanks
    Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,427 Posts

Default Timing Signatures: Interpretation of annotations and how they inform executions...

So, Chief. I see them in the workbooks; I even have a bit of a background in both music theory and medical shorthand, so think I may have cracked a bit of the cod... particularly when I can compare notes with live performance.

Can you give an example -- DS, perhaps -- of how the timing signatures correlate to the physical executions of the SL4 techniques?

Grinnin',

D.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Timing Signatures: Interpretation of annotations and how they inform executions..

Greetings.

Well... what do you mean correlate...? You follow the beats and step in time! Much fun! techniques

I think a better question would be what is the intention of the pause in the timing signature of the techniques?

I see distinct destructive sequences where one ends in lotsa pain or compliance or control... and the other just ends it.

I also see that in the pauses you get to "own your space" via the Braced index, taking into account that the initial counter attack may not work completely as planned, yet you survived the initial assault... so you need to step up the pace and finish it in the next round.

What do you see, Dr. D?

Juan M. Mercado

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Timing Signatures: Interpretation of annotations and how they inform executions..

P.S. Also, read the entry on the 101 coursebook for "Time Execution Signature".

Enjoy!

Juan M. Mercado

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by profesormental View Post
    Greetings.

Well... what do you mean correlate...? You follow the beats and step in time! Much fun! techniques

I think a better question would be what is the intention of the pause in the timing signature of the techniques?

I see distinct destructive sequences where one ends in lotsa pain or compliance or control... and the other just ends it.

I also see that in the pauses you get to "own your space" via the Braced index, taking into account that the initial counter attack may not work completely as planned, yet you survived the initial assault... so you need to step up the pace and finish it in the next round.

What do you see, Dr. D?

Juan M. Mercado
    Time allowed for paired rhythm...if da whap in da head is supposed to tip his head to expose the next target or mislaign him for the next app., that means the body of the bad guy needs time to respond...whippity-whippaty-snippity-snappity kenpo done blindingly fast doesn't allow time for natural responses to impact blows and manipulations.

I also agree with the "collect yourself and check in" and "re-evaluate" pauses. I have the course manual, but many don't. Yet, when Doc posts notes from it, there are these intriguing little annotations at foot of post. I was hoping to entice him to share with remote home experimenters what they mean, and how to use them to upregulate kenpo performance. Particularly considering the rash of hyper-speed kenpo vids of late.

Still grinnin',

D.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Dave in da house For This Useful Post:

Mikael151 (09-05-2007)

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

Time allowed for paired rhythm...if da whap in da head is supposed to tip his head to expose the next target or mislaign him for the next app., that means the body of the bad guy needs time to respond...whippity-whippaty-snippity-snappity kenpo done blindingly fast doesn't allow time for natural responses to impact blows and manipulations.

I guess that's why im told "it's not a race"

Thank you

7. The Following User Says Thank You to John Brewer For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dave in da house (09-04-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Ok, I'll bite. What is the 101 course book. I am clearly missing something. And if I am missing it - how do I get it?
    Hands on Healer

"If you can not be King be a healer."

"The hands of the King are the hands of a healer"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Finn View Post
    Ok, I'll bite. What is the 101 course book. I am clearly missing something. And if I am missing it - how do I get it?
    In the Parker/Chapel lineage, "white belt" has been replaced with specific requirements, including technical information, hours on the mat, etc. The emphasis is making the training time less like working out, and more like time in a classroom. So, "white belt manual" is replaced with "101" manual, which -- along with the technique descriptions -- has a veritable plethora of other SL4-associated info for the student.

Many manuals in the arts list only the moves. "step here; use this block; follow with this strike". Etc. In SL4, much emphasis is placed on monitoring the opponents natural reactions to being struck or positioned or manipulated in a certain way. So the descriptions include opponent reaction to properly placed blows. They also include a timing signature at the bottom, used like metering in music...the rests between the notes are as important as the notes. Techs in SL4 aren't just blown through at full-tilt; there are meaningful pauses to allow for a number of things.

Eery once in awhile, Doc will do a "cut & paste" from his course books. That's all we're referencing. To get one, I'd bug Doc. Much of the info won't mean much without having been on the mat with him, but there's much good stuff in there even for those who've not (yet). But I'd warn you in advance: He's put a lot of thought and work into them, and keeps them a little close to the chest.

D.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Dave in da house For This Useful Post:

Richard Finn (09-04-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Dr. D!

If Doc catches you calling his course book a "manual", he would most likely, manually, give you a lesson... you, know... the kind Bode gets when he asks a question...

Yes, the approach is quite different and one I'm steadily adopting. The clarity of purpose and methodology is worth it, and by much!

Juan M. Mercado

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to profesormental For This Useful Post:

Doc (09-05-2007),IWishToLearn (05-20-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by profesormental View Post
    Dr. D!

If Doc catches you calling his course book a "manual", he would most likely, manually, give you a lesson... you, know... the kind Bode gets when he asks a question...

Juan M. Mercado
    I turn on my mental recording devices when on the recieving end of an educated whupping. I "got" depth of penetration and strike focus for kenpo techniques the very first time I dummied for Mr. P. New light bulbs go on for me every time I review my vids of mat time in the bat cave with Doc. You know how much I could learn if I were lucky enough to recieve a regular beating?

Bode, you lucky bastard.

D.

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,957 Times in 5,604 Posts

SL4 Kenpo neither has "manuals" nor is any reference ever made to an "opponant" in a self defense scenario.

"Words and terminology are everything." Ed Parker
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    SL4 Kenpo neither has "manuals" nor is any reference ever made to an "opponent" in a self defense scenarios.

"Words and terminology are everything." Ed Parker
    Attacker; coursebook. Interpretation requires use of vocab in the natural language of the people being communicated with. Try to discuss the French word for "apple", without using either their word, or ours.

"this is like that". After conceptualization, dialogue; after dialogue, understanding. I know the semantics chief; I'm violating them with specific intent of outcome in understanding.

Incidentally, I'm pleased you finally "noticed" this thread.

D.

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dave in da house View Post
    Attacker; coursebook. Interpretation requires use of vocab in the natural language of the people being communicated with. Try to discuss the French word for "apple", without using either their word, or ours.
    Nice try but we're not talking about apple versus hand-grenades. Coursebook - Manual. Attacker - Opponant. These differences are subtle but significant in human understanding and the mental images they create, according to Ed Parker who pounded it into me.

Incidentally, I'm pleased you finally "noticed" this thread.
    Sorry but everyone I've talked to is somewhat confused by KenpoTalks Layout. I don't know why nor have I figured it out. I'll answer a post and then can't find the thread again. Sometimes I get notified of a response, sometimes not. So for me it's all free flow unless its ongoing multiple responses, or someone emails me.

"You have relatives in Germany, you WILL pay for your Volkswagan." Ed Parker. (in his best German accent)
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

www.MSUACF.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dave in da house View Post

I also agree with the "collect yourself and check in" and "re-evaluate" pauses. Still grinnin',

D.
    Good stuff. We call those "pauses" or "gaps" a chance to recognize or make damage assessments.
    You'll be twice as fast if you let your attacker's reactions feed your motion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikael151 For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dave in da house (09-06-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,587 Times in 2,193 Posts

It's all about the proper syncopation. Think jazz, not death metal.
    Be careful what you say, some may take it the wrong way.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Nice try but we're not talking about apple versus hand-grenades. Coursebook - Manual. Attacker - Opponant. These differences are subtle but significant in human understanding and the mental images they create, according to Ed Parker who pounded it into me.

Sorry but everyone I've talked to is somewhat confused by KenpoTalks Layout. I don't know why nor have I figured it out. I'll answer a post and then can't find the thread again. Sometimes I get notified of a response, sometimes not. So for me it's all free flow unless its ongoing multiple responses, or someone emails me.

"You have relatives in Germany, you WILL pay for your Volkswagan." Ed Parker. (in his best German accent)
    I stand corrected.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdinca View Post
    It's all about the proper syncopation. Think jazz, not death metal.
    More than you know

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Dave in da house For This Useful Post:

jdinca (09-06-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

You guys/gals are way to deep for me. I am not sure I could think like this if I truly tried. Have at man have at it...

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kenpochrstn View Post
    You guys/gals are way to deep for me. I am not sure I could think like this if I truly tried. Have at man have at it...
    Not really. Ideas of methods designed for physical expression are often difficult to grasp on paper or in writing, and with in-person personal instruction and guidance, lose their air of mystery and complexity. Thus,

"Video don't cut it, cause you can't see the jiggy." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links