SubLevel One:

A. Psychology of Confrontation Theory

II. Distance Two:
    “Within Reach” (no contact)

SubLevel Two:

B. Spatial Distortion Concepts

III. Distance Three:
    “Contact Penetration” (Peripheral Contact)

SubLevel Three:

C. Contact Manipulation
    D. Visual Cortex Disruption
    E. Nerve Cavity Strikes

IV. Distance Four:
    “Contact Manipulation” (Aural Contact)

SubLevel Four:

A. Psychology of Confrontation
    C. Contact Manipulations
    D. Visual Cortex Disruption
    E. Nerve Cavity activation
    F. Energy Disruption Concepts
    G. Kenpo Control Manipulation
    H. Nerve Cavity Strikes
    I. Kenpo Pressure-Point Activations
    J. Control Manipulations
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

Black St1300 (11-24-2008),HKphooey (07-11-2007),MARSHALLS KENPO (07-12-2007),Martin Seck (07-10-2007),Mikael151 (07-13-2007),Richard Finn (07-11-2007),sifuroy (07-11-2007),thedan (07-10-2007)

Thanks

Default Re: Sl-4 Combat Ranges

Interesting we were talking about this very thing a few weeks ago in class and the the four heading are identical. Cool.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

Very similar to what I've ben taught as far as the distances. Very detailed though.

Thank you,

John

Thanks

"F. Energy Disruption Concepts"

What kind(s) of energy are we talking about, sir? Internal flow/qi, energy fields centered on chakras, or physical energy (kinetic, potential, etc.)?

I won't ask how you do it, as the answer could probably fill volumes (or an entire carriculum) and we'd still need hands on aplication to understand it, I'd guess. However, anything you'd like to share that might be useful in our own search for understanding ...

It seems to me that at distances one and two, you are already disrupting his energy. Psychology of confrontation probably means what he intends, and the methods he uses to determine what he'll do. But, if you can psychologicaly effect his decision to act, havn't you effected his energy? We've all felt the energy drain of intimidation, for example.

A state of spatial distortion also drains, redirects, or makes the expenditure of energy useless. It's like fireing a gun into a void- a lot of flash and noise, and huge amounts of kinetic energy, but directed at what? No impact, no results.

Jump to level four, and all the subcategories also seem to interrupt or negate energy. I guess what I'm seeing is that, while all categories effect and are interdependant on each other, energy disruption (of all kinds) seems to me to be the central, binding theme.

Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Greetings.

Thank you for this list, sir.

Very detailed categorical breakdown. I would add to distance one "Firearm Considerations", or is it in another category altogether and not addressed here?

Long Range weapons, maybe?

I'll wait on your answers before just guessing and playing with the ideas further.

Juan M. Mercado

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by profesormental View Post
    Greetings.

Very detailed categorical breakdown. I would add to distance one "Firearm Considerations", or is it in another category altogether and not addressed here?

I'll wait on your answers before just guessing and playing with the ideas further.

Juan M. Mercado

I'm gonna guess and get beaten up by DOC

I would say that it is covered by distance 1 completely.

If the guy has a gone and is out of range of your natural weapons then

comes into play in a major way.

Yours in Kenpo

Amrik Singh

http://www.bkku.com

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,957 Times in 5,604 Posts

What kind(s) of energy are we talking about, sir? Internal flow/qi, energy fields centered on chakras, or physical energy (kinetic, potential, etc.)?
    Well yes and know. As a scientist and bio-mechanist, I cannot subscribe to esoteric descriptors beyond the euphemistic but very appropriate "Energy Disruption" designation.
    I won't ask how you do it, as the answer could probably fill volumes (or an entire carriculum) and we'd still need hands on aplication to understand it, I'd guess. However, anything you'd like to share that might be useful in our own search for understanding ...
    Of course everything depends on the particular application.
    It seems to me that at distances one and two, you are already disrupting his energy. Psychology of confrontation probably means what he intends, and the methods he uses to determine what he'll do. But, if you can psychologicaly effect his decision to act, havn't you effected his energy? We've all felt the energy drain of intimidation, for example.
    Yes you are correct, and essentially the body assigns "energy" in many ways both mentally and physically. It is also important that one has a significant impact on the other.
    A state of spatial distortion also drains, redirects, or makes the expenditure of energy useless. It's like fireing a gun into a void- a lot of flash and noise, and huge amounts of kinetic energy, but directed at what? No impact, no results.
    Exclusive of the firearm analogy, "Spatial Distortion" is a SL-4 defined principle that utilizes PNF Sensors to misalign or to induce an engagement at a less than optimal moment in space when the body is unprepared, unbraced, or misaligned. It is an involuntary action/reaction as a part of the autonomic nervous system.

As to the firearm analogy, energy is dispersed and although there may not be impact, the report itself has an impact on PNF, the autonomic nervous system, and the body's subsequent reactions based on proximity.
    Jump to level four, and all the subcategories also seem to interrupt or negate energy. I guess what I'm seeing is that, while all categories effect and are interdependant on each other, energy disruption (of all kinds) seems to me to be the central, binding theme.
    Well that takes me back to the beginning of the post. On a general level, everything can be described as "energy related." But this "energy" manifests itself in mental, and physical ways that require descriptions for the purposes of controlled and efficient applications within the discipline for the purposes of teaching.

The Chinese because of an inability to define things in what are now modern scientific terms, used the flowery metaphors related to energy, in conjunction with physical lessons as a method of conveying information in general, and martial lessons specifically. Thus the heavy emphasis in the field of the use of the term "energy" along with its many variances.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

www.MSUACF.com

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

Black St1300 (07-12-2007),profesormental (07-12-2007),thedan (07-13-2007)

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by profesormental View Post
    Greetings.

Juan M. Mercado
    You are correct sir. Because SubLevel Four Kenpo is an empty hand self defense science, the combat ranges reflect its core philosophy. There is a separate, although very similar Law Enforcement Combat Range Chart that includes firearms, and another yet for empty hand combat in law enforcement. And yes Amrik, it is covered in distance one, upon awareness sir.

www.MSUACF.com

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

profesormental (07-12-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 664 Posts

Doc, thanks for sharing. Much appreciated.
    "You can't account for everything, but you should account for the reasonably probable. Unfortunately for the unknowledgeable, those never ending 'what if's' will choke your thought process to death with useless information." - Doc

"To hold and fill to overflowing is not as good as to stop in time. Sharpen a knife-edge to its very sharpest, and the edge will not last long." – Loa Tzu

www.cromwellmartialarts.com
    www.BrianAselton.org
    www.hundredclubofct.org

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HKphooey View Post
    Doc, thanks for sharing. Much appreciated.
    Anytime for my bodyguard.

www.MSUACF.com

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Sl-4 Combat Ranges

Thank you, Doc. Full Kenpo salute!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

I"m going to bump this thread as Doc, commented on this subject a couple of weeks ago.

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thedan View Post

Dan C
    Well yes, but consider that the physical and mental aspects are intrinsically married to each other and, to affect one is to effect the other.

Distance one is a non-contact distance, but doesn't mean you cannot affect his energy. Simply giving him something to consider will do that, and affect him physically as well. A guy stands 10 feet away from you and begins hurling physical threats. You shout loudly and affirmatively, "I have a gun in my pocket." and watch his posture, focus, and energy change.

Spatial Distortion, although it is not a contact distance, has a similar effect and is actually a physical mechanism. Initiated once a physical commitment has been made on the part of the attacker, that gives him a false sense of what and where you are and has a disruptive effect on his PNF sensors.

Distance four contains all the previous elements but now physically focuses on destroying the ability of the attacker to bring his energy, mental or physical, to bear in a manner conducive to his successful application of his intent.

You know when I lose threads, email me. I don't look at PM's often and am rarely notified on some threads for reasons unknown sir.

www.MSUACF.com

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

Black St1300 (11-24-2008),Kenpodoc (11-22-2008)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,069 Posts

I still remember when you yelled out your window "Walking up on cars is a good way to get shot!", that dude did a 180 and slinked back up on the curb like a whipped dog! And I thought "I am so glad I don't live in LA"
    -David C
    http://www.kungfubooksonline.com

"...while you guys are arguing, I'm on the grind."
    - an anonymous brick puncher

"If you don't ask the right questions, I can't give you the answers, and if you don't know the right question to ask, you're not ready for the answers"
    -Ed Parker Sr.

"For many a 'system' is just a bunch of techniques. It should be much, much more than that..."
    - Doc Chapel

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DavidCC View Post
    I still remember when you yelled out your window "Walking up on cars is a good way to get shot!", that dude did a 180 and slinked back up on the curb like a whipped dog! And I thought "I am so glad I don't live in LA"
    The Psychology of Confrontation Distance One is an often ignored aspect of the martial arts, and self defense in particular. In the design of any physical confrontation scenario, it is where you must begin the process. Something Ed Parker taught me very well, as we explored this area utilizing our collective street experiences. The art of fighting without fighting by getting in a persons head and altering their focus and perspective of the circumstances at hand. Taking an extrovert activity, and turning him into an instantaneous introvert.

LA is fine, but I practice everything all the time. Occupational hazard. The crime statistics are comparable to any big city. Just remember we have almost 4 million people and the news tends to exaggerate.

www.MSUACF.com

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links