Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Motion-Kenpo versus SubLevel Four Kenpo

  1. #1
    Doc's Avatar
    Doc
    Doc is offline
    AKI Contributing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    8,454
    Thanks
    4,273
    Thanked 14,952 Times in 5,600 Posts

    Default Motion-Kenpo versus SubLevel Four Kenpo

    Excerpts from the Diary of a Mad Kenpo Scientist™

    Motion-Kenpo versus SubLevel Four Kenpo


    A SubLevel Four Self-Defense technique is uniquely different from Motion-Kenpo. A technique in Motion-Kenpo is, among other things, primarily a study of the effective use of “motion” in a combat scenario.

    Every hypothesis or technique theme is based and predicated on “motion.” Additionally, It does not explore in many cases hands on application of holds, hugs, locks, and seizures.

    A SubLevel Four technique is a case study of many different complex sciences presented in a practical application default technique modality, which reaches well beyond its obvious immediate effectiveness.

    This “process” subsequently addresses long term goals and applications.
    To this end through the entire first level of study, techniques are presented as “hard curriculum” with absolutely no exploration or adjustment of themes without instructor approval.

    This is not uncommon outside the bounds of loose structured Motion-Kenpo. In general, minor “tailoring” is only allowed to compensate for height or girth deficiencies. The proverbial Kenpo hypothesis “what if” is not allowed or entertained, and there are no Motion-Kenpo defined “re-arrangement concepts.”

    The base or default technique execution is conceptually inclusive of minor variables without significant adjustment. Major variables are assigned different “Default Techniques.” These things cannot be seen by the uneducated eye. When executed properly, major benefit is attained because each individual technique functions on multiple levels, and lays the base foundation for even more advanced application of a theme allowing sophisticated “Destructive Modulation” at upper levels.

    A technique teaches all the things listed and additionally functions as a “mini” Taiji Chi-Qung form that may be practiced singularly without a partner to the same end without physical contact, when a partner is not available. A student is encouraged to study and explore body mechanic enhancing “chi,” and “chi” enhancing body movements with, as well as without a training partner.

    Proper anatomical movement and internal energy co-exist hand in hand and one cannot be attained without the presence of the other. Done properly, they spiral upward together as long as you continue to practice, without age barriers. SL-4 teaches immediate application of what the Chinese have traditionally waited years to explain to a very few.

    It cannot be over emphasized, these things are not visible to the uneducated eye, and cannot be understood anymore than you would movements of any discipline not explained to you. SubLevel Four techniques are absolutely workable and effective and there are no “throw away” techniques.

    What is immediately discernable is when, at higher levels, a Control Manipulation alternative might be to modulate destruction. This is what has prompted some to suggest, “It’s just contact manipulation,” or “They are just adding a manipulation to the technique.” Nothing could be further from the truth.

    In fact, a student is taught to execute the more destructive “Destructive Sequencing” first along with minor manipulations because full Control Manipulations require a much greater degree of skill and a higher physical commitment in training as well as practice. It is where the Ed Parker phrase “…to feel is to believe” manifests itself.

    Things in SL-4 Kenpo techniques NOT generally found in Motion-Kenpo

    1. The science of proper breathing through a “Breathing Signature” to enhance short-term explosive power, and enhance the training of long-term internal energy.

    2. Exploring the control and momentary movement, shifting and adjusting of your internal energy as well as your opponent’s for the purposes of enhancing your own strength while draining your opponent’s.

    3. The application of internal energy for immediate effectiveness in short term scenarios, with the long-term goal of increased permanent and growing enhancement.

    4. How the method and manner of execution enhances or detracts from the positive execution of all anatomical movement.

    5. The limitations of anatomical structure, which is greater than its effective applications, therefore motion may be infinite, but its practical effective use is not.

    6. How the proper placement and execution of “basics” can create a “natural barrier” and negate “street grappling” assaults within the framework of self-defense techniques, and counter the constant “forward pressure” of those attempting to seize or surround your torso.

    7. How the proper execution and placement of the armatures away from the body may be executed in a manner that allows them to not be corruptible or manipulated.

    8. How a simple adjustment in height can counter a “street grappler’s” change in height should he drop to attack your lower height zones.

    9. How certain movements have an effect utilized in “Psychology of Confrontation Concepts” to enhance one’s “Mechanical Speed” by elongating the “Perceptual and Mental Speed” of your opponent.

    10. How certain “Negative Physical Contact” enhances your own structural integrity and therefore can have a positive effect.

    11. How to move energy from one side of your body to another location through the manipulation of armatures.

    12. How to create a burst of energy to enhance your movements.

    13. How to momentarily “short circuit” a person’s nervous system in conjunction with an energy drain to enhance our own action by “Completing the Circuit.”

    14. How to manipulate human anatomy through, touching, pulling, pushing, striking, twisting, torquing, hugging, and locking.

    15. Each technique emphasizes the shifting and transfer of body weight in conjunction with applications for maximum effectiveness with other components.

    16. Explores and teaches “Negative and Positive Body” posture from multiple perspectives including but not limited to;

    17. What postures opens specific cavities for effective destructive access.

    18. What natural weapons and their method of execution will give you access and activation.

    19. How the proper angles and associated anatomical posture function as a unit to virtually guarantee effectiveness.

    20. What postures create a structural weakness in your attacker thereby virtually immobilizing him in many situations.

    21. The location of nerve cavities and the order, posture and effects of sequential striking and what posture stifles or blocks his energy thereby weakening him and causing “Physical/Mental Disassociation,” (PMD). Sometimes called a “Technical Knockout” in sporting contests.

    22. How the “Timing Signature” teaches the correct rhythm to “surge” energy and negate an attacker’s body mechanics.

    23. How the “Grappling Signature” sets your body mechanics during a technique to counter “street grapplers.”
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

    "Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

    "It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél


    www.MSUACF.com

  2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

    bdparsons (07-06-2007),Black St1300 (07-06-2007),Brother John (10-30-2007),Kenpodoc (07-06-2007),MARSHALLS KENPO (08-11-2007),Martin Seck (07-06-2007),thedan (07-07-2007)

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Posts
    1,140
    Thanks
    1,171
    Thanked 1,253 Times in 612 Posts

    Default Re: Motion-Kenpo versus SubLevel Four Kenpo

    Mr. Chapel,

    Thank you for sharing this information. It helps those of us who are superficially aware of your methods to better understand where you are coming from.

    It'll take me a little bit to digest each of your points, but one question comes to mind:

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    ...and there are no Motion-Kenpo defined “re-arrangement concepts.
    I'm trying to weigh this against the propensity of of Mr. Parker to teach and emphasize these concepts in seminars and classes up until the time he passed away. It seems that he was trying to keep what eventually became "SL4" and "Motion" Kenpo diametrically opposed to one another. Am I off-base here? What are your thoughts?

    Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    www.trianglekenpo.com

    "I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to bdparsons For This Useful Post:

    thedan (07-07-2007)

  5. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    6,026
    Thanks
    1,199
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

    Default Re: Motion-Kenpo versus SubLevel Four Kenpo

    Thanks for posting that. It definately sheds some light on some previous posts you've made that I was confused about.

    Most of the "kenpo" I've been exposed to has addressed some of what you stress is missing from "motion kenpo."

    For instance, I've always studied applications of and addressed hugs, holds, locks, and seizures. I'm surprised that these would be absent from any "kenpo" curriculum, especially based off of the writings of Ed Parker.

    We also constantly strive for better understanding of, as well as proper execution of breathing along with proper body mechanics so that every fiber of ones being is in sync and working in tandem for maximum effectiveness.

    I'm still trying to fathom how some of these concepts would not be included in a "kenpo" curriculum. I've heard reference to the "Red Book" supposedly used by the "commercial" schools...did they not include these things?
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Celtic_Crippler For This Useful Post:

    thedan (07-07-2007)

  7. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Posts
    1,140
    Thanks
    1,171
    Thanked 1,253 Times in 612 Posts

    Default Re: Motion-Kenpo versus SubLevel Four Kenpo

    Mr. Chapel,

    After re-reading my post I realize that it may come off sounding confrontational. Please understand that is not my intent. I'm just trying to get a feel for how Mr. Parker seemed to keep what appeared to be two distinctly different approaches to the same art separate. I realize I'm asking you to climb inside another person's thought processes, but you seemed to be close and I thought you might have an idea or two.

    Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    www.trianglekenpo.com

    "I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

  8. #5
    Doc's Avatar
    Doc
    Doc is offline
    AKI Contributing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    8,454
    Thanks
    4,273
    Thanked 14,952 Times in 5,600 Posts

    Default Re: Motion-Kenpo versus SubLevel Four Kenpo

    Quote Originally Posted by bdparsons View Post
    Mr. Chapel,

    After re-reading my post I realize that it may come off sounding confrontational. Please understand that is not my intent. I'm just trying to get a feel for how Mr. Parker seemed to keep what appeared to be two distinctly different approaches to the same art separate. I realize I'm asking you to climb inside another person's thought processes, but you seemed to be close and I thought you might have an idea or two.

    Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    I didn't take it that way sir. Everyone is going crazy in huge parts of Southern Cal because all of the SBC Servers and internet providers have gone down. I'm on emergency dial up.

    In regards to your first post sir, it is probably one of those most cogent observations anyone has made. However the results was not a matter of focused intent as it was born out of necessity.

    Any of the old-timers from traditional arts will tell you that most taught a strict curriculum, that required intense scrutiny and correction by a knowledgeable teacher, with major emphasis attended to basic skills. Think of the old teacher walking the school checking the posture of every student on a single move to insure its correctness. This is how most of us came up. Indeed at one time Parker did this himself.

    Because the traditional art was taught with the idea of long term study and development over many years of a strict science of application, this method was necessary. There was no fear of students getting bored or being concerned with rapid progress. Everyone knew from the beginning it would take patience and time to reach a certain level. This coupled with the philosophy that the art encompassed more than 'fighting' and was a part of personal discipline, and a lifestyle unto itself made longevity not only necessary but expected. Instructors taught out of dedication for little or no money, with a sense of responsibility for their knowledge and whom they passed it to.

    Commercialism brought about a complete shift in teaching philosophy however. The Tracy's'' and Ed Parker ushered in an era where martial arts was to be sold like a combination of gym and dance. In fact the business model for Ed Parker's Commercial System is based on a well-known and successful chain of Dance Studios, (Arthur Murray Dance Studios) and is how the word 'studio' replaced words like 'gym,' 'dojo,' etc.

    I include The Tracy's because in the beginning, they were much more successful than Ed Parker. It was Parker's examination of their successes and failures that prompted him to take a different approach in his own proliferation quest. Parker understood that in business you must be attractive to the customer. He created a loose and flexible system not only to satisfy its customer base, but because there were no instructors to teach his curriculum as it existed. After all the arts were relatively new in this country and there were only so many Ed Parker's.

    So he created a "conceptual kenpo' purely based in self defense that was wholly dependent on the instructor to guide the student to a measure of success. And because it was self defense, as opposed to the strict interpretation of his art, he felt the student should be a participant in his own training to the extent that he should formulate and be responsible for what he did. If a student had to learn something in a short period of time, and possibly use it to defend himself, he had to comfortable with it to use it. This in conjunction with a heavy emphasis for many on 'sport' has made for some, a very lucrative business.

    This point of view, although now prevalent in the selling of American Martial Arts training, is diametrically opposed to how the arts were and are still taught, while the traditional arts are by comparison still quite obscure. In reality, it should be fairly obvious that the idea of serious traditional martial arts training was never meant to be a functional business.

    Back on point. In the beginning of the commercialism for Ed Parker, he took black belts (and under) from any and all styles and exposed them to his conceptual ideas of the arts. They were the first teachers, and why so many on his family tree have asterisks by their names. He would even put ads in the paper, "Karate Instructors Needed, No Experience Necessary."

    So all of these different styles and ideas came together to teach a very loose, student influenced conceptual program, designed to take a student from A to B, and develop adequate skills should they need them. No one expected to learn the 'secrets' of the arts in a strip mall or store front. Most just wanted to feel more confident and reasonable capable.

    But as growth continued and rank inched higher upwards, the expectations that those with significant rank had this great body of knowledge was also becoming the norm. One that most accepted, and in all fairness, relative to the art is probably justified. But Parker always said and foresaw the ultimate collapse of the credibility of this art without a knowledge infusion. He said, "Kenpo is an entity feeding upon itself. People who don't know how to fight ultimately will be taught by those who themselves a few years ago stood in the same place."

    Thus American kenpo has more of and the least qualified high ranking belts of any art, relative to traditional arts. that is not to say some are not infinitely qualified, only once again relatively speaking to traditional arts.

    So Parker created this 'system' by necessity. He couldn't be everywhere and stopped teaching in a school in the early sixties, choosing to go on the road teaching seminars and 'selling' his concepts.

    The principles of SL-4 are hard wired strict curriculum of the old world traditions, distilled into a functional Kenpo Science without the cultural accouterments that slowed the learning progress. This was Parker's true dream of American Kenpo, that he continued to work on while proliferating the commercial system to support his efforts.

    This is why in viewing film and video of Parker, he can be seen doing things that are never mentioned in the commercial system. He was distilling one, while selling the other. I feel his intent was to disseminate much more information when he had reached a certain point in its development. unfortunately, he left us too soon.

    Now I find myself in a similar situation as my teacher, although I believe much better off. Because I have not had to promote a commercial art, I have been free to bring forth the science, and develop students who are at least capable of teaching as they grow and develop themselves. None of us are in the "business" of martial arts. However there are many competent and honorable men teaching the arts as best they know. Not everyone is incompetent, just more in my opinion than there should be.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

    "Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

    "It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél


    www.MSUACF.com

  9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

    Black St1300 (08-12-2007),sigung86 (07-07-2007),thedan (07-07-2007)

  10. #6
    Doc's Avatar
    Doc
    Doc is offline
    AKI Contributing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    8,454
    Thanks
    4,273
    Thanked 14,952 Times in 5,600 Posts

    Default Re: Motion-Kenpo versus SubLevel Four Kenpo

    Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    Thanks for posting that. It definately sheds some light on some previous posts you've made that I was confused about.

    Most of the "kenpo" I've been exposed to has addressed some of what you stress is missing from "motion kenpo."
    You're indeed one of the lucky ones. Truthfully, most don't want much of that material bcause it is too labor intensive.
    For instance, I've always studied applications of and addressed hugs, holds, locks, and seizures. I'm surprised that these would be absent from any "kenpo" curriculum, especially based off of the writings of Ed Parker.
    If you look at the curriculum it talks about these things and suggests they be studied, but gives no answers as to how they should be dealt with at all. That is why the prevelent philosophy is "move first," or "don't let him grab you," and the famous "ride the action." Few speak of the fact that sooner or later you will be grabbed and it needs to be addressed as you do.
    We also constantly strive for better understanding of, as well as proper execution of breathing along with proper body mechanics so that every fiber of ones being is in sync and working in tandem for maximum effectiveness.
    Good for you sir, but I also know how hard that is after 50 years of examination myself.
    I'm still trying to fathom how some of these concepts would not be included in a "kenpo" curriculum. I've heard reference to the "Red Book" supposedly used by the "commercial" schools...did they not include these things?
    No sir, "Big Red" was an operations manual for commercial school owners and managers. It included everything from how to answer the telephone and "close" a student, to the technique manuals that everyone speaks of. Ultimately, the manuals were removed from Big Red, and sold to students on an individaul basis.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

    "Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

    "It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél


    www.MSUACF.com

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

    Celtic_Crippler (08-12-2007),thedan (07-07-2007)

  12. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ft. Worth Texas
    Posts
    3,900
    Thanks
    2,878
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

    Default Re: Motion-Kenpo versus SubLevel Four Kenpo

    Doc,

    Sir I saw for the first time today the difference between motion commercial Kenpo, and kenpo application. I became aware watching some of my students do leaping crane the way I taught it to them, I changed their application.

    Now I am without words. I spent 24 years in kenpo learning,and sharring to realize I have been sharring only part of the information,because I only had part of it.

    Just the information you shared about leaping crane last night,will take me another lifetime to understand all the conceptual ideas, and learn how to apply their physical applications.

    I Truley Thank you for that.
    On the other hand I am not happy with having this information withheld from me for the sake of commercialization. I feel foolish

    As always Sir my Deepest Respect
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

    trgodbm@yahoo.com

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

    thedan (08-12-2007)

  14. #8
    Doc's Avatar
    Doc
    Doc is offline
    AKI Contributing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    8,454
    Thanks
    4,273
    Thanked 14,952 Times in 5,600 Posts

    Default Re: Motion-Kenpo versus SubLevel Four Kenpo

    Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALLS KENPO View Post
    Doc,

    Sir I saw for the first time today the difference between motion commercial Kenpo, and kenpo application. I became aware watching some of my students do leaping crane the way I taught it to them, I changed their application.

    Now I am without words. I spent 24 years in kenpo learning,and sharring to realize I have been sharring only part of the information,because I only had part of it.

    Just the information you shared about leaping crane last night,will take me another lifetime to understand all the conceptual ideas, and learn how to apply their physical applications.

    I Truley Thank you for that.
    On the other hand I am not happy with having this information withheld from me for the sake of commercialization. I feel foolish

    As always Sir my Deepest Respect
    Well sir, it is not so much that information was witheld, but simply not available in the venue you chose to pursue. You do the best that you can do until you can do better. This is the way life works, and there is no need to sell yourself short in 24 years worth of experiences that hold value. Without it, you would have no comparison or appreciation for higher knowledge.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

    "Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

    "It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél


    www.MSUACF.com

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

    MARSHALLS KENPO (08-12-2007),thedan (08-12-2007)

  16. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ft. Worth Texas
    Posts
    3,900
    Thanks
    2,878
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

    Default Re: Motion-Kenpo versus SubLevel Four Kenpo

    Thank you Sir,
    It still does not set well with me. But like you said the lesson was in the understanding that there is higher knowledge. It is just a hard lesson to swallow.

    As always sir my deepeset respect
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

    trgodbm@yahoo.com

  17. #10
    profesormental is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Beautiful Caribbean Island
    Posts
    500
    Thanks
    351
    Thanked 567 Times in 272 Posts

    Default Re: Motion-Kenpo versus SubLevel Four Kenpo

    Greetings.

    Mr. Marshall, what you experienced is just the fact that you can always do things better, not just different.

    As someone said "Wherever you are, that is where you are."

    Now you have the choice to go in another direction that gets you more of what you want, in a verifiable manner that you can evaluate and compare and be totally convinced is getting better.

    Not just good enough.

    Now it is time for optimization.

    So focus on where you want to go.

    And remember, the information was not withheld from you. Not many are willing to put the effort and time that is required for this knowledge, training and skills.

    Red pill swallowed. Welcome to the future!

    Juan M. Mercado

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to profesormental For This Useful Post:

    MARSHALLS KENPO (08-12-2007)

  19. #11
    Doc's Avatar
    Doc
    Doc is offline
    AKI Contributing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    8,454
    Thanks
    4,273
    Thanked 14,952 Times in 5,600 Posts

    Default Re: Motion-Kenpo versus SubLevel Four Kenpo

    Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALLS KENPO View Post
    Thank you Sir,
    It still does not set well with me. But like you said the lesson was in the understanding that there is higher knowledge. It is just a hard lesson to swallow.

    As always sir my deepeset respect
    I've seen a lot of these epiphanies since I've become more public with my teachings. As much of a genius most agree Ed Parker was, he was much more knowledgeable than where most have chosen to place him.

    Some insinuate they understand the bulk of what he had to offer, elevating themselves in the process, and dismissing anything not of their understanding or personal "discovery" as not Kenpo.

    Infinite Insights may be the bulk and culmination of their knowledge, but was a simple conceptual exercise to Mr. Parker. The material that most are familiar with being called the "Tip of the iceberg" of Parker's depth, would be putting it hyper-mildly.

    Some would dismiss what others do, to elevate themselves, instead of simply concentrating on improving what they do. They spend all of their time trying to discredit others instead of grow.

    Others have the epiphany, but don't want to leave their "belt investment," and resign themsleves to be happy with where they are and what they do.

    Some concede there is other knolwedge but, insist what they do is "just as good."

    Still others truly believe they know all they need to know.

    And then there are those that decide to improve themselves in anyway they can. There are more of them than you might think. They are all exploring other arts trying to fill the holes n their Kenpo knowledge and performance.

    All of these positions are a product of human nature, and people must decide for themselves what they want and what they will do to get it. Life once again.

    Parker emphasized often, and completed one of his more well known quotes by saying to me,

    "Be careful when people want to elevate and enshrine you. They are not elevating you, but only bringing you down to a level they find acceptable. There is always more. Stay hungry, stay a student. Do not be mesmerized by belts, but instead be in awe of the awesome knowledge yet to be learned. Just because the red show, don't mean that they know."
    - Ed Parker.


    I don't wear red and neither do my students, and Parker didn't either - until the kenpo business took off. Than he had no choice.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

    "Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

    "It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél


    www.MSUACF.com

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

    MARSHALLS KENPO (08-12-2007)

  21. #12
    Sapper6 is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts

    Default Re: Motion-Kenpo versus SubLevel Four Kenpo

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    This is why in viewing film and video of Parker, he can be seen doing things that are never mentioned in the commercial system. He was distilling one, while selling the other.
    are any of these videos available for all to see? what are some examples?

  22. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Dana Point, CA
    Posts
    2,343
    Thanks
    2,296
    Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,427 Posts

    Default Re: Motion-Kenpo versus SubLevel Four Kenpo

    Quote Originally Posted by Sapper6 View Post
    are any of these videos available for all to see? what are some examples?
    Go to youtube,and type in "ed parker kenpo" for your search criteria. Several short clips of demos and interviews from various times will crop up, many posted by kenpojujutsu3. Watch things like his feet, where a strike starts and the arc of the path it takes, how his trunk subtley drives the movement of the limbs,and vice versa, and so on.

    When I'm in a smart-alec mood, I next encourage people to go through the written material and find anywhere it discusses "how" to do the "what" that he's doing. Taint there.

    D.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

  23. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ft. Worth Texas
    Posts
    3,900
    Thanks
    2,878
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

    Default Re: Motion-Kenpo versus SubLevel Four Kenpo

    Quote Originally Posted by profesormental View Post
    Greetings.

    Mr. Marshall, what you experienced is just the fact that you can always do things better, not just different.

    As someone said "Wherever you are, that is where you are."

    Now you have the choice to go in another direction that gets you more of what you want, in a verifiable manner that you can evaluate and compare and be totally convinced is getting better.

    Not just good enough.

    Now it is time for optimization.

    So focus on where you want to go.

    And remember, the information was not withheld from you. Not many are willing to put the effort and time that is required for this knowledge, training and skills.

    Red pill swallowed. Welcome to the future!

    Juan M. Mercado
    Thank you my brother,
    I have taken the first step,and is was painfull.

    No more green pills.
    I want the rainbow !!!!!!!!
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

    trgodbm@yahoo.com

  24. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ft. Worth Texas
    Posts
    3,900
    Thanks
    2,878
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

    Default Re: Motion-Kenpo versus SubLevel Four Kenpo

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I've seen a lot of these epiphanies since I've become more public with my teachings. As much of a genius most agree Ed Parker was, he was much more knowledgeable than where most have chosen to place him.

    Some insinuate they understand the bulk of what he had to offer, elevating themselves in the process, and dismissing anything not of their understanding or personal "discovery" as not Kenpo.

    Infinite Insights may be the bulk and culmination of their knowledge, but was a simple conceptual exercise to Mr. Parker. The material that most are familiar with being called the "Tip of the iceberg" of Parker's depth, would be putting it hyper-mildly.

    Some would dismiss what others do, to elevate themselves, instead of simply concentrating on improving what they do. They spend all of their time trying to discredit others instead of grow.

    Others have the epiphany, but don't want to leave their "belt investment," and resign themsleves to be happy with where they are and what they do.

    Some concede there is other knolwedge but, insist what they do is "just as good."

    Still others truly believe they know all they need to know.

    And then there are those that decide to improve themselves in anyway they can. There are more of them than you might think. They are all exploring other arts trying to fill the holes n their Kenpo knowledge and performance.

    All of these positions are a product of human nature, and people must decide for themselves what they want and what they will do to get it. Life once again.

    Parker emphasized often, and completed one of his more well known quotes by saying to me,

    "Be careful when people want to elevate and enshrine you. They are not elevating you, but only bringing you down to a level they find acceptable. There is always more. Stay hungry, stay a student. Do not be mesmerized by belts, but instead be in awe of the awesome knowledge yet to be learned. Just because the red show, don't mean that they know."
    - Ed Parker.

    I don't wear red and neither do my students, and Parker didn't either - until the kenpo business took off. Than he had no choice.
    Doc.

    Sir, I understand that I am but a beginer in a new and facinating art.

    Once the shock is gone, anger will set in. After I can get that out of my heart, I will be ready to open my mind.

    Thank you Sir, I have a great deal to compare to.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

    trgodbm@yahoo.com

  25. #16
    Doc's Avatar
    Doc
    Doc is offline
    AKI Contributing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    8,454
    Thanks
    4,273
    Thanked 14,952 Times in 5,600 Posts

    Default Re: Motion-Kenpo versus SubLevel Four Kenpo

    Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALLS KENPO View Post
    Doc.

    Sir, I understand that I am but a beginer in a new and facinating art.

    Once the shock is gone, anger will set in. After I can get that out of my heart, I will be ready to open my mind.

    Thank you Sir, I have a great deal to compare to.

    "People will either elevate you, or put you down. The alternative is to put themselves down to the level where they belong. Few will do that, but the ones that do are on the road to true knowledge and greatness."
    - Ed Parker


    I hope I can help you to find your way. Keeping in mind that all of your accomplishments are still valid. Now it's time to add to them sir.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

    "Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

    "It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél


    www.MSUACF.com

  26. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ft. Worth Texas
    Posts
    3,900
    Thanks
    2,878
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

    Default Re: Motion-Kenpo versus SubLevel Four Kenpo

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    "People will either elevate you, or put you down. The alternative is to put themselves down to the level where they belong. Few will do that, but the ones that do are on the road to true knowledge and greatness."
    - Ed Parker

    I hope I can help you to find your way. Keeping in mind that all of your accomplishments are still valid. Now it's time to add to them sir.

    Thank you sir for allowing me to see in my own way,and own time.
    I am deeply honored that you are willing to guide me. My heart is just heavy right now,but it will pass.

    As always sir my deepest respect.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

    trgodbm@yahoo.com

  27. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ft. Worth Texas
    Posts
    3,900
    Thanks
    2,878
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

    Default Re: Motion-Kenpo versus SubLevel Four Kenpo

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post

    And then there are those that decide to improve themselves in anyway they can. There are more of them than you might think. They are all exploring other arts trying to fill the holes n their Kenpo knowledge and performance.
    Sir,
    I have studied other arts in my past, but I dont understand Kenpo at the level I should. So the other arts can wait.

    As always sir my deepest respect
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

    trgodbm@yahoo.com

  28. #19
    Doc's Avatar
    Doc
    Doc is offline
    AKI Contributing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    8,454
    Thanks
    4,273
    Thanked 14,952 Times in 5,600 Posts

    Default Re: Motion-Kenpo versus SubLevel Four Kenpo

    Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALLS KENPO View Post
    Sir,
    I have studied other arts in my past, but I dont understand Kenpo at the level I should. So the other arts can wait.

    As always sir my deepest respect
    See, another step taken forward in an awe inspiring journey.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

    "Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

    "It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél


    www.MSUACF.com

  29. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ft. Worth Texas
    Posts
    3,900
    Thanks
    2,878
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

    Default Re: Motion-Kenpo versus SubLevel Four Kenpo

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    See, another step taken forward in an awe inspiring journey.

    Sir,

    I am making plans for LA, hopefully in Early Oct.
    If I may I would like to discus this with you on another channel.


    Respectfully

    A beginer
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

    trgodbm@yahoo.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. A Question specifically for Dr. Chapel
    By zealous Kenpoist in forum Parker - Chapél / SubLevel 4 Kenpo™
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-03-2012, 02:17 PM
  2. "Motion Kenpo"
    By parkerkarate in forum Kenpo General
    Replies: 176
    Last Post: 08-20-2007, 02:45 PM
  3. 20 Questions With John M. La Tourrette
    By Rob Broad in forum Bios
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-17-2007, 10:38 PM
  4. Terminology
    By Rob Broad in forum Terminology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-16-2007, 04:46 PM