Thread: Doc, you are famous!

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Default Doc, you are famous!

Doc, are you familiar with one Guro Wes Tasker? He's a Filipino/Indonesian instructor from Boston. He doesn't claim to know you personally but I had a VERY interesting discussion with him about you.

sigung86 is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Wright City, Missouri, United States, 113653311978716, Wright City, Missouri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,405 Times in 729 Posts

Default Re: Doc, you are famous!

I don't think I've ever had the pleasure of being in a discussion about Doc that wasn't very interesting. And to be in a conversation with Doc can be ... ummm ... Quite intersting.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Kaur View Post
    Doc, are you familiar with one Guro Wes Tasker? He's a Filipino/Indonesian instructor from Boston. He doesn't claim to know you personally but I had a VERY interesting discussion with him about you.
    So ya gonna share the story? LOL.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katsudo_karate View Post
    So ya gonna share the story? LOL.

yeah, i want to know also..
    "The sacraed rights of mankind are not to be rummaged for among old parchments or musty records. They are written, as with a sunbeam, in the whole volume of human nature, by the hand of the divinity itself, and can never be erased.""

Alexander Hamilton
    The Farmer Refuted (1775)

Thanks

Guro Wes Tasker is a fellow that has trained a lot with my instructor, and my instructor has trained a lot from him. He teaches Pekiti Tirsia, Bagua, and Silat.

Our school had the good fortune of hosting Guru Edward Lebe from Indonesia for a Harimau Pentjak Silat seminar. The seminar was FANTASTIC.

This was all Indonesian stuff that we were working on at the seminar, but there were a couple of connections to Kempo/Kenpo. One of the folks at the seminar was Sensei Kevin Pence, of Pence Self Defense. Sensei Pence is one of the good guys in Boston Kempo and really did a lot to help out, and he arranged for us all to have dinner at a local restaurant. My training partner and I were sitting and chatting when Guro Wes came in and sat down. The three of us were talking, the subject of MartialTalk came up. I may have mentioned that I used to train in EPAK.

So...Guro Wes asks me if knew Doc Chapél, I said yes. Wes then asked me what I thought of his (Doc's) material, I said I though it was awesome. Wes said he thought Doc was amazing.

Wes continued on to say he has stacks of text files that he's made from Doc's posts, and read through what he could so he could learn from it. He really spoke highly of Doc and what he has been able to learn in terms of bio-mechnanics. We then talked about a couple of principles and how it relates to Pentjak Silat. I couldn't really dig in to conversation because I haven't been training in Silat long enough to be able to go deep with Guro Tasker on the subject. That I thought was REALLY cool.

Plus there was also the idea of beng at a dinner with the best Silat instructors in New England Mike and May Williams and Wes Tasker....and who comes up in conversation? Dr. Chapél.

You are famous sir

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,957 Times in 5,604 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Kaur View Post
    Guro Wes Tasker is a fellow that has trained a lot with my instructor, and my instructor has trained a lot from him. He teaches Pekiti Tirsia, Bagua, and Silat.

Our school had the good fortune of hosting Guru Edward Lebe from Indonesia for a Harimau Pentjak Silat seminar. The seminar was FANTASTIC.

This was all Indonesian stuff that we were working on at the seminar, but there were a couple of connections to Kempo/Kenpo. One of the folks at the seminar was Sensei Kevin Pence, of Pence Self Defense. Sensei Pence is one of the good guys in Boston Kempo and really did a lot to help out, and he arranged for us all to have dinner at a local restaurant. My training partner and I were sitting and chatting when Guro Wes came in and sat down. The three of us were talking, the subject of MartialTalk came up. I may have mentioned that I used to train in EPAK.

So...Guro Wes asks me if knew Doc Chapél, I said yes. Wes then asked me what I thought of his (Doc's) material, I said I though it was awesome. Wes said he thought Doc was amazing.

Wes continued on to say he has stacks of text files that he's made from Doc's posts, and read through what he could so he could learn from it. He really spoke highly of Doc and what he has been able to learn in terms of bio-mechnanics. We then talked about a couple of principles and how it relates to Pentjak Silat. I couldn't really dig in to conversation because I haven't been training in Silat long enough to be able to go deep with Guro Tasker on the subject. That I thought was REALLY cool.

Plus there was also the idea of beng at a dinner with the best Silat instructors in New England Mike and May Williams and Wes Tasker....and who comes up in conversation? Dr. Chapél.

You are famous sir
    I know, I know. I owe you lunch when you come out. I'm going to pay up. On a more serious note, I've always gained more acceptance from those from other arts than from kenpo. Regardless of art, and although there may be various philosophies, there is only one "right" way to do something. Other arts tend to appreciate that fact, while the most "open minded progressive art" is full of closed minded individuals. Who would have thought that. Fortunately, generally I find the good ones like you.

ps: I have Guru Status in Silat under Pendekar Cliff Stewart.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

Carol (02-23-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I know, I know. I owe you lunch when you come out. I'm going to pay up. On a more serious note, I've always gained more acceptance from those from other arts than from kenpo. Regardless of art, and although there may be various philosophies, there is only one "right" way to do something. Other arts tend to appreciate that fact, while the most "open minded progressive art" is full of closed minded individuals. Who would have thought that. Fortunately, generally I find the good ones like you.

ps: I have Guru Status in Silat under Pendekar Cliff Stewart.
    Oh sure...NOW you tell me...well, you're still mad at me so I guess I can understand.

And no you don't owe me lunch. I'll buy the lunch if you do the training

Working on coming out. Trying to get my ducks in a row and budget for a trip to see you as well as making it out to an unexpected wedding (no, not mine) out in the midwest.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    there is only one "right" way to do something.
    Hmmm....like....not being focused on rank. You train on something, when you master it, your teacher gives you something else, and when you master it, your teacher gives you something else....and so on and so on until your teacher says it's your turn to be a teacher. And even when you become a teacher, you still go back to shed the basics.

And training based on principles rather than a series of movements.

And how there is nothing more important than strong basics.

And that no matter how strong your basics are they are never strong enough so they are done over and over and over again. And over again.

And how if everyone followed the Big Four, there would be no accidents...and you only fire one round during the respiratory pause....

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links