Thread: Children in Kenpo

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Children in Kenpo

Hi Doc,

I recall reading in one of your previous posts; you mentioned you prepared a thesis,Covering the subject of Children in Kenpo or to the effect,
    for your 7TH degree.

(I’m sorry Doc , I can’t seem to find the thread,)

Time permitting; I would be extremely grateful in hearing more on the subject.

Kind Regards

Damien

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Re: Children in Kenpo

I too would like to read any thoughts onthis topic.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

That would be an interesting read. I've read many of Doc's posts here and on MT. I don't recall that though.

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

I would also like to hear your insights on this Doc.
    "Change is not necessary...Survival is not mandatory" - W. Edward Deming

"When I hit....I hit the whole enchilada" - Master David Leung

Thanks

Did a search for this to see if it got answered anywhere else, but didn't find anything. I am always interested in reading Doc's writtings.
    There is nothing so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength.
    Unquestionably man has his will - but woman has her way! - Bruce Lee

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Did Doc not reply to this or am i missing something?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]SALUTE!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shane23ss View Post
    Nope, it's possible that by the time he checked the forum following this post it could have moved "down the list" and escaped his attention. Doc is usually quite good about answering peoples questions.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shane23ss View Post
    Nope, you're not missing anything. It's possible that the post got "moved down the list" and by the time Doc logged on to the forum it simply escaped his attention. He's usually pretty good about answering questions directed to him.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,942 Times in 5,596 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hammer View Post
    Hi Doc,

I recall reading in one of your previous posts; you mentioned you prepared a thesis,Covering the subject of Children in Kenpo or to the effect,
    for your 7TH degree.

(I’m sorry Doc , I can’t seem to find the thread,)

Time permitting; I would be extremely grateful in hearing more on the subject.

Kind Regards

Damien
    2 comments. First, the norovirus hitting California is no joke. Second, my approach to the assignment was a simple one. I modularized/cellularized the rank by age. By creating a multiple tiered rank structure, it allowed ranks at all ages to be credible without affecting or comparison to others.

First Level - ages 0-10
    NO MARTIAL ARTS PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS (Students will learn anyway)

Students are taught basics but have no physical performance requirements for promotion other than a social contract with parents and students. Wearing of the uniform properly, placement of patches, proper tying of the belt and social ettiquette, along with minimum standards in school and home performance through personal responsibilities. Grading is on an on-going basis during a predetermined period of several weeks to determine adherence to guidlines. Successful candidates are posted on a list of students required to attend an "acknowledgement gathering" at Chuck E. Chesse, Ice Cream Parlor, etc on a Sunday afternoon or Friday evening. During the festivities of food and fun. periodically a student annoucement will be made. The student will be called forward, their accomplishments outside of martial art will be acknowledged, a certificate and belt will be handed to them, along with applause. This will occur every 10 minutes until everyone has been acknowledged. No martial arts fanfare or performances. The actual belt has multiple options. In my experiements I found that children in this age group do not care what they receive, along as their peers receive the same thing. A white belt with colored tips, inerspaced with black stripes gives 14 promotion options, and was my first recommendation. White belts with the colored stripes were an option as well. All who have been in the school at least one month, and within 30 days of their 11th birthday, will have a "graduation test" and move to the next level. The only 'rank' that is transferable to the next level is yellow.

Next up Level two.

Discussion.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    2 comments. First, the norovirus hitting California is no joke. Second, my approach to the assignment was a simple one. I modularized/cellularized the rank by age. By creating a multiple tiered rank structure, it allowed ranks at all ages to be credible without affecting or comparison to others.

First Level - ages 0-10
    NO MARTIAL ARTS PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS (Students will learn anyway)

Students are taught basics but have no physical performance requirements for promotion other than a social contract with parents and students. Wearing of the uniform properly, placement of patches, proper tying of the belt and social ettiquette, along with minimum standards in school and home performance through personal responsibilities. Grading is on an on-going basis during a predetermined period of several weeks to determine adherence to guidlines. Successful candidates are posted on a list of students required to attend an "acknowledgement gathering" at Chuck E. Chesse, Ice Cream Parlor, etc on a Sunday afternoon or Friday evening. During the festivities of food and fun. periodically a student annoucement will be made. The student will be called forward, their accomplishments outside of martial art will be acknowledged, a certificate and belt will be handed to them, along with applause. This will occur every 10 minutes until everyone has been acknowledged. No martial arts fanfare or performances. The actual belt has multiple options. In my experiements I found that children in this age group do not care what they receive, along as their peers receive the same thing. A white belt with colored tips, inerspaced with black stripes gives 14 promotion options, and was my first recommendation. White belts with the colored stripes were an option as well. All who have been in the school at least one month, and within 30 days of their 11th birthday, will have a "graduation test" and move to the next level. The only 'rank' that is transferable to the next level is yellow.

Next up Level two.

Discussion.
    I like it, great idea!
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

There were no physical performance requirements for promotions, but what about the material that would be taught in classes?

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWishToLearn View Post
    There were no physical performance requirements for promotions, but what about the material that would be taught in classes?
    You take the curriculum basics from the 101 (yellow) course material, and teach it in a more creative manner because "performance" is not an issue. In my own experimentation when I was writing the thesis, I created "basics games." Actual performance requirements are initiated at the 2nd level (11-16), "Youth" designation.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

www.MSUACF.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,069 Posts

You take the curriculum basics from the 101 (yellow) course material, and teach it in a more creative manner because "performance" is not an issue. In my own experimentation when I was writing the thesis, I created "basics games." Actual performance requirements are initiated at the 2nd level (11-16), "Youth" designation.
    Doc, I need those basics games more than I need a burger taller than a can of soda. And you KNOW I need one of those pretty badly. Please tell me what I can do for you to get some of that

thanks Doc!!!

-David

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DavidCC View Post
    Doc, I need those basics games more than I need a burger taller than a can of soda. And you KNOW I need one of those pretty badly. Please tell me what I can do for you to get some of that

thanks Doc!!!

-David
    Start with my favorite sparring game, "Kicking Butt."

Students square off according to size and may only use their legs. They have only one target - the butt. Roundhouse and front kicks are aimed at the butt and one point given for contact. Points are also given if they kick the wrong target to the recipient of the "foul." Winners are declared as having, "Kicked Butt." "Mommy I kicked butt today." I often heard students tell their parents..

www.MSUACF.com

Thanks

Students square off according to size and may only use their legs. They have only one target - the butt. Roundhouse and front kicks are aimed at the butt and one point given for contact. Points are also given if they kick the wrong target to the recipient of the "foul." Winners are declared as having, "Kicked Butt." "Mommy I kicked butt today." I often heard students tell their parents..
    thats a pretty nasty thing to do to someone . iv been kicked right in the nerve on my arse cheek, its hard to walk much less chase someone..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,069 Posts

that sounds like fun. And kids will like anything with the word "butt" involved ROFL.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links