Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bladed Assaults in American Society

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,949 Times in 5,599 Posts

Default Re: Bladed Assaults in American Society

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastkenpoist View Post
    Unique problems I completely agree. Stay the hell out of contact with the blade, and if you can't get behind something impenetrable, get to contact manipulation with that firearm, off line of fire of course.
    Any specifics?
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

KirkS (08-05-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,333 Times in 839 Posts

Not sure what you are fishing for. Specifics, on an altercation?
    A good teacher is a master of simplification and an enemy of simplism. ~ Louis A. Berman

Thanks
    Thanked 3,925 Times in 2,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastkenpoist View Post
    Who is the question to? If it is me the answer is yes.
    Yes, the question was for you, because you sound like so one who hasn't .
    Care to provide details? Where, what was the situation . Gun or knife ? How many times ? What was the intent of the attacker! What happened?
    "To be, rather than to seem"

"Fix your rear foot ... What the hell is wrong with you?"

"...I already watched the videos, and quite frankly, they're bullsh*t."

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkC For This Useful Post:

KirkS (08-05-2015),nelson (08-05-2015)

Thanks

By details I mean location, what happened, what was the result , etc.

Thanks

That's true. I was attacked with a knife on three occasions and none were reported. One idiot tried to pull a gun on me years ago, he was unsuccessful, and that event wasn't reported either.
    "To be, rather than to seem"

"Fix your rear foot ... What the hell is wrong with you?"

"...I already watched the videos, and quite frankly, they're bullsh*t."

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkC For This Useful Post:

KirkS (08-06-2015),nelson (08-05-2015)

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    That's true. I was attacked with a knife on three occasions and none were reported. One idiot tried to pull a gun on me years ago, he was unsuccessful, and that event wasn't reported either.
    Mark, one of these days I will recount to you the story of how I survived a knife attack by an irate father, a Chinese cook who was the father of a girl I was seeing. It won't happen of this Forum. The only thing I can say is that it was more Jackie Chan than Bruce Lee.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MChong For This Useful Post:

KirkS (08-06-2015),MarkC (08-07-2015),nelson (08-06-2015)

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Recounting personal experiences doesn't statistically change the significance and percentage of assaults. There was a case of a guy in San Francisco who was sitting in his living room on the second floor in his apartment building, when a vehicle flew off the freeway ramp nearby and crashed into the building. He can talk about how he got hit by a car while he was in his apartment, and it absolutely happened, but the frequency of that occurring is negligible relatively speaking.

As far as being reported, most incidences of any significance are reported one way or another. If you sought medical attention and were treated by a paramedic, fire personnel, or other medical professional at a clinic or hospital, it was reported whether there was police intervention or not. If it didn't require medical attention than statistically, it probably belongs in a different category other than knife assaults. The FBI Uniform Crimes Statistics come from the entire country from every state. But ones personal views are shaped by their personal experiences and the culture of their environment. If you live in an area where people cut each other all the time, it would be a statistical anomaly, even though from the individuals perspective, "It happens all the time."

There is always a tendency in human nature to equate our personal experiences as the "norm," and as much as it may be personally that doesn't make it societies norm at large. These things are important to me because modern martial artist who focus on self defense need to allocate their time and energy efficiently towards the assaults most likely to happen. Training with a sai, nunchaku, or swords and throwing stars may be fun but in reality, "If you train for the sh**t that is most likely to happen, than when Sh**t happens, you're most likely to be prepared."

This is the basis for the SubLevel Tactical Kenpo sub-component I teach, that allows practitioner to work on the self defense skills, while learning the basic skills needed to learn the more significant American Chúan-Fa it precedes, even though the differences amount more to a point of focus for your training more than anything else.

I've seen guys who know elaborate form routines with weapons, who can't block a simple street punch, even with advance notice in training. Fundamental skills for fundamental common assaults first. Don't talk to me about defending knife attacks until you can stop all the punches you are more likely to see in reality.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

www.MSUACF.com

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

KenpoGhost (08-06-2015),KirkS (08-06-2015),MarkC (08-07-2015)

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post
    If the knife would have not hit the gentlemens collar bone he quite likely could have died and made the official statistic roles. Our " little city " has had more shots fired incidents this year than recent history has documented. Inner city residents are afraid of the gangs and don't talk to the cops unless they have to. Waterloo Iowa and Cedar Rapids has the same problem with "no snitchin". We have a brown tar heroin and meth epidemic in our town. This is confirmed by cops, emt's, doctors, you name it. Charges are pled down to make things look less serious as to not besmirch our cities reputation. I know of what I speak because I live here. Can't speak for others across the USA but my friends in Law Enforcement tell me that this is a national trend. As far as I'm concerned the damn country is about smoke and mirrors from bogus unemployment stats to "official" crime stats. I may be and I hope that I am wrong about these things but from what I see we are going to hell in a hand basket.
    What you don't understand is the stats come from arrests, not from DA Pleads. Arrests more directly reflect what is happening, while what the D.A. does with it for judicial expediency is a another matter. We all live in our own world. Having been a cop in the big city all my life, I know how it works. Inner city gangs, drugs, "snitches get stitches," yeah, I know how it works. I live in Los Angeles and could take you places you wouldn't believe. But, it's an area and not a reflection on the city or its over 4 million people. As a detective, investigator the first thing you learn it if you don't approach things objectively, and leave presumptions behind, you may end up putting the wrong guy in jail. Not to diminish your experience, but its only that. There are people who live elsewhere who would tell you their experience is much different. There has always been "bad" areas and always will be, but we haven't got to epidemic proportions yet.

www.MSUACF.com

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

KenpoGhost (08-07-2015)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links