Thread: Doc's Archive: Stance Set 1

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,934 Times in 5,591 Posts

Default Doc's Archive: Stance Set 1

STANCE SET 1

OPENING: ATTENTION STANCE. BOW. DROP TO A MEDITATING HORSE STANCE. OPEN YOUR HANDS. PLACE AND REST THEM ON YOUR HIPS.

NOTE: Stance Set 1 is performed with the hands open, and placed resting on your hips. This is to help you coordinate proper upper body alignment with your stances.

1. Drag your left foot to your right foot into an attention stance.

2. Have your left foot step out to 9 o'clock into a horse stance, facing 12 o'clock.

3. Have your left foot drop straight back toward 6 o'clock into a right neutral bow, facing 12 o'clock.

4. Have your right foot drag to a right 45 degree cat stance, facing 12 o'clock.

5. Have your right foot step out to 3 o'clock into a horse stance, facing 12 o'clock.

6. Have your right foot drop straight back toward 6 o'clock into a left neutral bow, facing 12 o'clock.

7. Have your left foot drag to a left 45 degree cat stance, facing 12 o'clock.

8. Have your left foot slide back toward 6 o'clock into a right front twist stance, facing 12 o'clock.

9. Pivot (in-place) into a right neutral bow, facing 12 o'clock.

10. Have your right foot slide back toward 6 o'clock into a left front twist stance, facing 12 o'clock.

11. Pivot (in-place) into a left neutral bow, facing 12 o'clock.

12. Pivot (in-place) into a left reverse bow, facing 12 o'clock.

13. Pivot (in-place) into a left forward bow, facing 12 o'clock.

14. Switch into a right neutral bow by having your rear foot move to the front and your front foot move to the rear.

15. Pivot (in-place) into a right reverse bow, facing 12 o'clock.

16. Pivot (in-place) into a right forward bow, facing 12 o'clock.

17. Pivot (in-place) into a right front rotating twist stance facing 12 o'clock.

18. Have your left foot step forward toward 12 o'clock into a left fighting horse stance (side horse) facing 12 o'clock.

19. Pivot (in-place) into a left front rotating twist stance, facing 12 o'clock.

20. Pivot (in-place) into a left neutral bow, facing 12 o'clock.

21. Have your left foot drop back and out toward 9 o'clock into a horse stance, facing 12 o'clock.

22. Drag your left foot to your right foot into an attention stance.

CLOSING: DROP TO A MEDITATING HORSE STANCE. COME TO AN ATTENTION STANCE. BOW.

STANCE SET 1

CONTAINS:
    1. Basic Stances:

a. Attention Stance
    b. Horse Stance (Training)
    c. Neutral Bow
    d. 45 Degree Cat Stance
    e. Reverse Bow
    f. Forward Bow

2. Additional Stances:

a. Front Twist
    b. Front Rotating Twist
    c. Horse Stance (Fighting)

3. Basic Foot Maneuvers:

a. Step Through

1) Forward
    2) Reverse

b. In-Place Stance Changes:

1) Pivoting
    2) Switching

c. Step (away from your body):

1) Out
    2) Back

d. Drag (toward your body)

TEACHES:

1. Proper weight distribution for specific stances.

2. How to increase distance when retreating.

3. How to decrease distance when advancing.

4. How to cover target areas with stances.

5. How to utilize transitory stances when advancing or retreating.

6. Continuity in stance changes.

7. How to coordinate proper upper body alignment with stances.

8. How to FEEL your way along the ground.

9. How to maintain proper Center of Gravity when moving from one stance to another.

10. How to bring into SYNC the various types of body momentum, working singularly or together, when moving from one stance to another.
    a. Horizontal (forward or reverse) momentum.
    b. Rotational momentum (torque).
    c. Vertical and/or diagonal momentum (Marriage of Gravity)

NOTES ON STANCE SET 1

1. Make a list of environments to practice this set. The practice of this set in various environments and predicaments will add greatly to your chances of survival on the street.

2. Practice the set with various rhythms:

a) mechanically (slow and fast)

b) fluid (slow and fast)

c) hard and fast d) super fast

3. Practice the other side of the set.

4. Practice the set on a stairway.

5. Practice the set with various breathing patterns.

6. Wear various types of shoes when practicing the set.

7. Practice the set to various types of music.

8. Have a partner grab hold of your belt to provide resistance as you move through the set. This will greatly increase your knowledge of how to properly use your lower body for power.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

bdparsons (07-18-2015),KirkS (07-18-2015),nelson (07-18-2015)

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Default Re: Doc's Archive: Stance Set 1

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post
    Was this stance set once called Chinese Leg Maneuvers ? It appears very similiar to a set I once learned in the 1960's.
    No, this set was originated in the commercial era. But you must keep in mind, Mr. Parker always borrowed from the totality of his exposure and experiences in formulating everything, predicated on his goals. Therefore, it would not surprise me at all if there were elements of what you suggest contained therein.

The set is not a bad one, although I never used it because like a lot of the material, it was presented "out-of-context" relative to the level it was required and the basics learned to that point. Also, teaching correctly with stability and structure was very difficult, because if you hadn't had the exposure to Sifu's Woo, or Wong, it was difficult to grasp for significantly non-experienced students.
    Last edited by Doc; 07-20-2015 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Nonya
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

www.MSUACF.com

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

nelson (07-20-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 672 Posts

Whenever we start talking about Neutral Bow and Arrow Stances .... it gets crazy around here.

However, can you describe how we can move from a Fighting Horse Stance to a Left Neutral Bow Stance by "pivoting" only?

At stance 18, I have always stepped forward to a Left Neutral Bow. A small difference in write ups like this are not unusual. This instruction indicates a Side Horse, which isn't an unusual difference. But then it pivots in place and pivots in place again, into a Neutral (at stance 20).

Can you shed some light on this?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to michaeledward For This Useful Post:

jdinca (07-21-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,333 Times in 839 Posts

It is launch drop pivot, but that is just how we do it.
    A good teacher is a master of simplification and an enemy of simplism. ~ Louis A. Berman

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by michaeledward View Post
    Whenever we start talking about Neutral Bow and Arrow Stances .... it gets crazy around here.
    I understand. Most don't even know of the "arrow" designation in stances, and thus lose the reference perspective it might give them.
    However, can you describe how we can move from a Fighting Horse Stance to a Left Neutral Bow Stance by "pivoting" only?
    In my opinion you can't, and this is one of many problems I have with this set. I was allowed to take a different approach and never used the bulk of the sets, and the ones I did, had different interpretations and applications.
    At stance 18, I have always stepped forward to a Left Neutral Bow. A small difference in write ups like this are not unusual. This instruction indicates a Side Horse, which isn't an unusual difference. But then it pivots in place and pivots in place again, into a Neutral (at stance 20).

Can you shed some light on this?
    As I stated, I would not use this set because it has some significant physical limitations because of the absence of the Chinese Foot Maneuver principle of "Unweighting," and "Weight Transfer" that was called "Old Rocking Chair." I've updated the term to what I feel is the more appropriate, "Inverted Rocking Chair."

Your observation is absolutely correct. There was always some confusion regarding the "Fighting Horse," and ultimately Mr. Parker abandoned the reference altogether as "unnecessary." I would do as you do first and step forward into a neutral bow.

At "18" from your neutral bow, transfer your weight to your forward leg raising your rear foot off the floor, then "drop" your weight onto your rear foot into its "twist" position as you raise your forward foot into the air, and rotate your forward foot into the Twist Stance" position, (what I call Indexing), in the air, then firmly "drop" your forward foot on the floor into the twist stance.

Utilize the same procedure to get back to your neutral bow. Weight forward raising your rear foot off the floor, drop your rear foot raising your forward foot off the floor, adjust your stance in the air before dropping back into your neutral bow.

I know it seems a bit weird, and is not the easiest to explain this way, but if you even come close you will feel the difference and be more comfortable with the action than you were before. Let me know how it does or doesn't work for you.

This aspect of the "Rocking Chair" aspect from Chinese Footwork didn't find its way into the system because there was no one to teach it correctly and consistently among the bulk of students so it was left out. There are many Chinese Principles not included because they could not be conveyed on paper, and the majority of students were mostly "paper" students, working from manuals because with the exception of occasional seminars, were far removed from the source material. Even most of the so-called first gen students were at best, part-time because of the lack of the availability of Mr. Parker. So, there were some things Mr. Parker didn't even attempt to teach knowing without the consistent exposure and correction, would not yield positive results. Many of these things show up in sets like this.

You're the first person I know of to observe this discrepancy in this set, and bring it to my attention. Hopefully it will make you explore all of your footwork sir.

www.MSUACF.com

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

jdinca (07-22-2015),michaeledward (07-22-2015),nelson (07-23-2015),punkmonkey (07-22-2015)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links