Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Elvis Presley 9th? Comments Anyone?

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Elvis Presley 9th? Comments Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by michaeledward View Post
    I think you're seeing Mr. Hebler's signature.

Huk did say he used to carry around blank certificates by the briefcase full ... by blank, he said not made out to the person whose name would eventually be promoted, but with the printed signatures.
    My mistake. It is Mr. Hebler's signature. I still find it fascinating that Elvis' 8th degree has been debated for years as to whether it was deserved, honorary, bought, etc., and suddenly a document appears indicating that Elvis was not an 8th, but rather a 9th.

So for those that knew of this...why keep it secret?
    Dave

"I consider that the spiritual life is the life of man's real self, the life of that interior self whose flame is so often allowed to be smothered under the ashes of anxiety and futile concern." - Thomas Merton

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,934 Times in 5,591 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpodave View Post
    My mistake. It is Mr. Hebler's signature. I still find it fascinating that Elvis' 8th degree has been debated for years as to whether it was deserved, honorary, bought, etc., and suddenly a document appears indicating that Elvis was not an 8th, but rather a 9th.

So for those that knew of this...why keep it secret?
    Just because you don't know about something doesn't make it a "secret." Mr. Parker conducted his business as he saw it. He chose to compartmentalize much of what he was doing with various groups and people. I saw it all the time. The arts are driven by so many egos, he felt it was best. As soon as so-in-so got promoted, than whatchamacallit began bugging Mr. Parker for stripes as well. I was often approached to "put in a good word with the Old Man for me please." frequently. Saw it all the time. People from various parts of his organization were rarely privileged to what anyone's ranks was at any given time, and his "special" promotions and relationships were even more so. The in-fighting and politics simply made life easier to not mention some things. And heaven help you if you ever asked "why" someone got promoted.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

KenpoGhost (05-11-2015),nelson (05-11-2015),punisher73 (05-11-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,333 Times in 839 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Just because you don't know about something doesn't make it a "secret." Mr. Parker conducted his business as he saw it. He chose to compartmentalize much of what he was doing with various groups and people. I saw it all the time. The arts are driven by so many egos, he felt it was best. As soon as so-in-so got promoted, than whatchamacallit began bugging Mr. Parker for stripes as well. I was often approached to "put in a good word with the Old Man for me please." frequently. Saw it all the time. People from various parts of his organization were rarely privileged to what anyone's ranks was at any given time, and his "special" promotions and relationships were even more so. The in-fighting and politics simply made life easier to not mention some things. And heaven help you if you ever asked "why" someone got promoted.
    Ego. Those damn things.
    A good teacher is a master of simplification and an enemy of simplism. ~ Louis A. Berman

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eastcoastkenpoist For This Useful Post:

Doc (05-11-2015),punisher73 (05-11-2015)

Thanks

Seen on auction. Starting bid; $4000

Attachment 2598

Sent to me by one of my IKCA Student Black Belts who left the forum because I bullied him.

What?

You need to update your links in your sig.
    ~ Steve Zalazowski
    Continuing Student of the Arts.

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Ahh, you missed the point. Some of the people who engaged in the "debates" are now claiming to have known about the 9th.

My guess is that they did not know.

I find it interesting that it is important that everyone thinks they did.
    Dave

"I consider that the spiritual life is the life of man's real self, the life of that interior self whose flame is so often allowed to be smothered under the ashes of anxiety and futile concern." - Thomas Merton

Thanks
    Thanked 4,372 Times in 1,426 Posts

Ahh, you missed the point. Some of the people who engaged in the "debates" are now claiming to have known about the 9th.

i had no idea. Still don't.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Gotcha, and you're right. I saw 8th degree diplomas on more than one occasion and stayed out of the conversations about rank. Sometimes Mr. Parker used different documents for different people. Some were large, some small, some old, some had expiration dates on them. Some made themselves feel better by suggesting someone else's rank was "honorary." I always cautioned people about that because to my knowledge, Mr. Parker never put the word honorary on any certificate or diploma (and he made a distinction between the two words.). So the only one who can say who was or wasn't "honorary" is Mr. Parker, because like diplomas all looked the same. So as I said to a fellow high ranking belt, "If you think someone else's diplomas is honorary, maybe yours is too. They look the same,"
    Kenpodave likes this.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

www.MSUACF.com

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dave in da house (10-22-2015),KenpoGhost (10-11-2015)

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWishToLearn View Post
    What?

You need to update your links in your sig.
    As soon as you give me a link I can use sir.

www.MSUACF.com

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Gotcha, and you're right.
    And, to be clear, you are not one of those I am speaking of.
    Dave

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kenpodave For This Useful Post:

Doc (10-09-2015)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links