Visit Our Sponsors

Annual Bob and Barbara White Invitational on Saturday March 23, 2014Hubbard Photography presents Martial Arts Photography Worry Free Managed Wordpress Hosting by SilverStar WebDesigns Inc. Click for more details!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anti-Grapplers Mechanism??

Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,061 Posts

Default Re: Anti-Grapplers Mechanism??

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyKBoxer View Post
    Ok that helps me picture what is going on alot better... reminds me of some of the stuff that Ed Parker Jr. and Frank Soto are doing.. kind of a systema flare to the movement.
    I am still extremely sceptical about a 110 pound person moving in to jam up a 250 pound person and not end up like a moped playing chicken with a Ford F150... but I can see how that would change the posture and put someone in a weak posture to move forward without adjusting. Thanks for the clarification.
    Well maybe picture a F150 and a Ford Ranger not a moped LOL I'm not THAT big. And the F150 is moving East at 25 mph expecting to bump into a stationary mini-truck, when the Ranger suddenly deploys a snow plow blade and floors it directly into the grill of the oncoming truck at 50 mph westbound. And the F150 driver is still trying to buckle his seat belt before the impact... but the impact happens early and he's not ready. But anyway that was fun, It seems you got it as good as it can be got over the hindernet
    -David C
    http://www.kungfubooksonline.com

"...while you guys are arguing, I'm on the grind."
    - an anonymous brick puncher

"If you don't ask the right questions, I can't give you the answers, and if you don't know the right question to ask, you're not ready for the answers"
    -Ed Parker Sr.

"For many a 'system' is just a bunch of techniques. It should be much, much more than that..."
    - Doc Chapel

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,373 Times in 4,626 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DavidCC View Post
    Well maybe picture a F150 and a Ford Ranger not a moped LOL I'm not THAT big. And the F150 is moving East at 25 mph expecting to bump into a stationary mini-truck, when the Ranger suddenly deploys a snow plow blade and floors it directly into the grill of the oncoming truck at 50 mph westbound. And the F150 driver is still trying to buckle his seat belt before the impact... but the impact happens early and he's not ready. But anyway that was fun, It seems you got it as good as it can be got over the hindernet
    One of the parts missing is the effect and impact of what is termed, "Spatial Distortion" on the human body when it anticipates impact. The human body in Newtonian Physics Terms, when it makes impact on something it is not anticipating hitting, is NOT a solid mass, and therefore does not react as one. Instead it absorbs the impact as a series of loosely connected chunks of tissue. While the truck and moped analogies are good ones, as always when you break it down it is more complex. The "victim" becomes a solid mass, while the "attacker" is not, therefore his attack is not coordinated in structure and the victim is really dispelling multiple smaller attacks in a compressed time frame.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MartialScienceUniversity.com

www.SL4Kenpo.com

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

MarkC (04-20-2011)

Ryan Angell is offline Continuously Learning
    Thanks

I think the Grapple Control Mechanism (GCM) most people are familiar within is the Braced Index, which is typically used to defend against an attacker trying to encircle you with his arms (front bear hug). The GCM must be accompanied with other Alignment Mechanisms to be most affective. If you use properly executed Body Alignment Mechanism (BAM, usually used to align the Upper Platform) and Platform Alignement Mechanisms (PAM, used to align the Lower Platform) along with a properly executed Thrusting Index resulting in a Braced Index you will have achieved what is referred to in SubLevel Kenpo as the Statue Principle.

However, a GCM is just that, a mechanism that controls your attacker's ability to grapple you. Through Psychology of Confrontation Theory and Reading and Reacting to Martial Posture you may end up using several different GCMs throughout the course of a self defense technique. A specifically executed strike, to a specific target can result in your attacker being forced into a Negative Martial Posture resulting in momentary control of your attackers ability to grapple ... hence GCM.

It is our goal in SubLevel Kenpo (as I am sure with other Martial Sciences) to control the space while engaged with an attacker ... at all times. No moment is left unaccounted for. Every single body part is allocated to a specific task/function.

It seemed like a lot of posters were familiar with SubLevel Kenpo. I hope I didn't ramble on too much with too many SLK centric terms.

These are not the SubLevel Kenpo definitions for these terms, merely a brief description to give deeper understanding to this post...
    Lower Platform - below the waist
    Upper Platform - above the waist
    Statue Principle - when the lower and upper platforms are aligned with one another making the entire body virtually immovable

This and other posts can be found at: http://bit.ly/hpoknj

--
    Ryan Angell
    ryan@SubLevelKenpo.com
    www.SL4Kenpo.com

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Angell For This Useful Post:

DavidCC (04-21-2011),DRANKIN (04-20-2011),HKphooey (04-20-2011),jdinca (04-21-2011),KenpoMD (04-21-2011),MarkC (04-20-2011),punkmonkey (04-20-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,150 Times in 646 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Angell View Post
    I think the Grapple Control Mechanism (GCM) most people are familiar within is the Braced Index, which is typically used to defend against an attacker trying to encircle you with his arms (front bear hug). The GCM must be accompanied with other Alignment Mechanisms to be most affective. If you use properly executed Body Alignment Mechanism (BAM, usually used to align the Upper Platform) and Platform Alignement Mechanisms (PAM, used to align the Lower Platform) along with a properly executed Thrusting Index resulting in a Braced Index you will have achieved what is referred to in SubLevel Kenpo as the Statue Principle.

However, a GCM is just that, a mechanism that controls your attacker's ability to grapple you. Through Psychology of Confrontation Theory and Reading and Reacting to Martial Posture you may end up using several different GCMs throughout the course of a self defense technique. A specifically executed strike, to a specific target can result in your attacker being forced into a Negative Martial Posture resulting in momentary control of your attackers ability to grapple ... hence GCM.

It is our goal in SubLevel Kenpo (as I am sure with other Martial Sciences) to control the space while engaged with an attacker ... at all times. No moment is left unaccounted for. Every single body part is allocated to a specific task/function.

It seemed like a lot of posters were familiar with SubLevel Kenpo. I hope I didn't ramble on too much with too many SLK centric terms.

These are not the SubLevel Kenpo definitions for these terms, merely a brief description to give deeper understanding to this post...
    Statue Principle - when the lower and upper platforms are aligned with one another making the entire body virtually immovable

--
    Ryan Angell
    ryan@SubLevelKenpo.com
    www.SL4Kenpo.com
    I appreciate you taking the time to post. Good to see you on KT.
    "You can't account for everything, but you should account for the reasonably probable. Unfortunately for the unknowledgeable, those never ending 'what if's' will choke your thought process to death with useless information." - Doc

"To hold and fill to overflowing is not as good as to stop in time. Sharpen a knife-edge to its very sharpest, and the edge will not last long." – Loa Tzu

www.cromwellmartialarts.com
    www.BrianAselton.org
    www.hundredclubofct.org

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HKphooey For This Useful Post:

Ryan Angell (04-21-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,335 Times in 1,883 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Angell View Post

--
    Ryan Angell
    ryan@SubLevelKenpo.com
    www.SL4Kenpo.com
    Good to see you posting here again! Hopefully see you (and Doc) in person again before too much time passes.
    "Everything matters and everything depends upon something else." --Doc

"To be, rather than to seem"

"Fix your rear foot ... What the hell is wrong with you?"

"...I already watched the videos, and quite frankly, they're bullsh*t."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkC For This Useful Post:

Ryan Angell (04-21-2011)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsors