Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Doc

Thread: Platform Alignment Mechanism with Step-Drag, etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,924 Times in 2,211 Posts

Default Platform Alignment Mechanism with Step-Drag, etc.

Instead of a step-through and PAMing the rear foot, which foot would you PAM if you're executing a step-drag moving forward to deliver a block and counterstrike, for example, and Inward block and rear-hand heel palm?
    And for a step-drag reverse? And will the PAM come with the block or the counter?
    Probably not asking the questions in the correct way, but I hope Doc or one of the SL-4 guys can decipher and respond.
    Been a long day and I'm trying to clear my mind.
    "To be, rather than to seem"

"Fix your rear foot ... What the hell is wrong with you?"

"...I already watched the videos, and quite frankly, they're bullsh*t."

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Platform Alignment Mechanism with Step-Drag, etc.

Notice the specific footwork of the step-drag in a Neutral bow (basic description):

Lift forward foot, advance it forward a certain distance, normally 6 inches to a foot, and the foot falls keeping the same orientation as the Neutral Bow.

Now lift the rear foot and step; regain your original geometry of the Neutral Bow by advancing it the same distance as the forward foot. That is the PAM.

More later... gotta go.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to profesormental For This Useful Post:

MarkC (04-06-2010)

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

I think of the 'shuffle' foot manoeuvres (drag-step, step-drag, push-drag etc) as a sequence of 2 foot movements. In all cases you could probably refer to the 2nd step as 'the PAM'.. but seeing as you are always lifting+planting each foot in turn, no added PAM is necessary because the foot manoeuvre has them built-in to begin with.

So in your first example, you would 'PAM' the rear foot when moving forward (i.e. in time with the rear-hand palm-heel and presumed transition to forward-bow).. But the sequence you describe (block followed by rear-hand palm-heel) is not familiar to me, so I could be off-base here.

For step-dragging in reverse, the same applies. You are lifting + planting each foot in turn. My understanding is that you would call the 2nd step a PAM (the drag) - i.e. the step that completes the sequence.

It's all a matter of timing, and taking into consideration what it is you want to achieve. Shuffles are a 2-beat sequence. Ask yourself the question, do you want to block on the 1st beat, or the second?

Consider the scenario that you want to shuffle backwards and deliver an inward block (against the inside of a punch for example). You could step-drag or push-drag backwards, which would involve elongating your base on the 1st step, then blocking on the 2nd step as you hit the neutral-bow.

However you can also drag-step in reverse (shortening your base first). This gives you the opportunity to block on the first step (as you bring your front foot back towards the rear foot). You could refer to this 1st step (the drag) as the PAM if this helps. This also changes the timing (makes it faster) as you now are blocking on the 1st-beat rather than the 2nd, and it gives you the opportunity to integrate further arm movements as you complete the shuffle with the 2nd-step.

The SL-3 AOD drills that we are beginning to learn here in the UK are a great example of this. But they are very difficult to describe, and even harder to learn without in-person tuition. The potential to change the timing by blocking on the 1st-step was a revelation to me, and the effect it has on power generation needs to be felt in-person to be believed.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JamesB For This Useful Post:

MarkC (04-06-2010)

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Ok...

Now, the timing of the PAM depends on the specific application. I recommend you post which specific application brought you the question.

Note what is the function of a PAM. Sometimes it is executed at the same time as the BAMs, or blocks, or strikes, etc.

Hope that helps.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to profesormental For This Useful Post:

MarkC (04-06-2010)

Thanks

I was wondering about the timing and type of PAM when both moving into an attack to block and counter, such as with an inward block and rear hand straight punch or heel palm; and when moving back and using similar block and counter.
    Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,069 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    I was wondering about the timing and type of PAM when both moving into an attack to block and counter, such as with an inward block and rear hand straight punch or heel palm; and when moving back and using similar block and counter.
    Thanks.
    I've seen the 103 techniques through purple, and none of them involved stepping forward to block. Stepping back or angling off, yes. But forward with the lock, no. I think the closest sequence I have been taught to what you are describing would be in yellow-2 where you step-drag angling to 9 (but with an outward block) and then execute a rear-hand palm heel with a right forward bow, then a right palm heel with a right NB.

There is also y-3 where you step-drag reverse with inward block and also do a lead-hand palm heel.
    -David C
    http://www.kungfubooksonline.com

"...while you guys are arguing, I'm on the grind."
    - an anonymous brick puncher

"If you don't ask the right questions, I can't give you the answers, and if you don't know the right question to ask, you're not ready for the answers"
    -Ed Parker Sr.

"For many a 'system' is just a bunch of techniques. It should be much, much more than that..."
    - Doc Chapel

Thanks

Yeah, I should've written more clearly, I didn't mean stepping straight forward into an attack, although that looks like what I wrote!
    What I had in mind was stepping to an angle like you would if stepping towards 10 or 2, or 11 or 1 o'clocks, and also after having stepped back while engaging an attack with a block, then stepping forward again to counter.

I'm also wondering about all the people (non-SL-4) who stomp with the front foot as they step in to block and counter....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by profesormental View Post
    Notice the specific footwork of the step-drag in a Neutral bow (basic description):

Lift forward foot, advance it forward a certain distance, normally 6 inches to a foot, and the foot falls keeping the same orientation as the Neutral Bow.

Now lift the rear foot and step; regain your original geometry of the Neutral Bow by advancing it the same distance as the forward foot. That is the PAM.

More later... gotta go.
    Are you talking about lifting part of the rear foot in a step-drag, or, lifting it off the ground and taking a step? Would that still be considered a step-drag, or a step-step?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

Thanks

I think the term "drag" in step-drag, or drag-step, or push-drag, etc. is misunderstood. It doesn't literally mean drag your foot on the floor.

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Exactly.

The thing is that when you do it fast, it looks like you're dragging, but it does lift off the floor.

Actual dragging makes the body compensate for the force of friction, which is backwards. This makes the body less stable towards the front, thus less resistant to load.

Making a diagram with arrows for the directions will make this much more clear, yet the result is the same, less structure and your body may collapse under pressure or the strike be less effective.

Easy to prove in person. Experiment against load to convince yourself if in doubt.

Also, push drag forward (and backwards) with a block is done in Blocking Set 102.

Hope that helps.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to profesormental For This Useful Post:

Mikael151 (04-07-2010)

Thanks

When my computer seems less slow and tired--which will probably be tomorrow--I will review the AOD Drill video clips and my coursebook...paying attention to the footwork and try to form more coherent questions.

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,820 Times in 5,527 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael151 View Post
    Are you talking about lifting part of the rear foot in a step-drag, or, lifting it off the ground and taking a step? Would that still be considered a step-drag, or a step-step?
    The physical action is in actuality a "step/step." Mr. Parker termed it a "drag/step" not because it "drags" the floor, but simply because the foot is trailing and being pulled or "dragging" behind you in the action. Many mistakenly believe that the foot must actually physically drag on the floor. This is erroneous, and I have no idea where these weird notions come from, but any one who actually "studied" basics with Mr. Parker would no better. Truth is, many worked out occasionally with Mr. Parker, but almost no one "studied" with him.
    ElizDVM likes this.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dave in da house (04-10-2010)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links