Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What If There WAS A Successor?

Thanks

Default Re: What If There WAS A Successor?

Sounds awesome, sir!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 623 Posts

Just my two cents.....Even if Mr. Parker had named a successor, I don't think much would have changed.
    With the way politics and egos go no one would have been satisfied

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KirkS For This Useful Post:

Doc (07-10-2010)

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,772 Times in 5,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madeku View Post
    i think it would be the same. like one reason he didn't "appoint" a successor was because of the fact that's more of a asian custom, passing the system on.. if i'm not mistaken. there was already the tracy offshoot, i believe the WKKA was started before his death as well. and there were people who either left or were kicked out of the IKKA. so really, a successor in that sense, wouldn't have mattered as much.
    Not about custom but more the nature of "what" someone could be a successor to. The WKKA was formed after Mr. Parker passed away, and the WKKA name was shared with a Parker idea for an umbrella organization to increase the quality of Kenpo to the next level. I have no knowledge whether he shared that Idea with Joe, or whether it was just a coincidence.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Rex View Post
    Most people do not follow organizations. People will follow an individual that can lead. A successor would not have been Ed Parker Sr., so it would have only delayed the inevitable.
    You are correct sir. What held the IKKA together as well as it did, was the force of will and personality of Ed Parker, as well as "hanger oners" who didn't train or study but were hoping for rank so they could leave like those before them. Even he couldn't keep people from leaving, and anyone else would have had an even more difficult time keeping people together.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

www.MSUACF.com

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

Z-Rex (07-10-2010)

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

For the record, when I asked Mr. Parker that question pertaining to successorship in the seventies, he told me there would be no one successor to the art that most were doing. The art itself was one of interpretation, fluidity of purpose, and extreme diversities of ability and intellect. At that time he said to me that there would "..be seven people.." that would emerge with meaningful interpretations of his various teachings, but there would never be one person who would be at the head of his lineage. Because of his personal evolutions and fragments in his own development, that was "..simply not possible." He said this the day he gave me copies of Jim Mitchell performing the entire system on VHS tape, and asked to take a look at tell him what I thought.

Mr. Parker was right. What he had more of than anything was a "training or study model," not a style. He said "..the style resides with the students, and every student is a style unto himself."

Unlike traditional martial arts rigid methods where everyone moves the same, his commercial Kenpo was all about personal interpretations and tailoring for individual preferences and function to the individuals satisfaction.

He continued, "That's a self-defense model that can work for the masses, but it is not a style model and, why I carefully chose the word system over calling Kenpo-Karate a style. Traditional arts have a discernible style and all students display the same style. Kenpo Karate doesn't do that. Styles perpetuate themselves because everyone models it. Kenpo Karate perpetuates the students individuality through its system. If a person prefers to do something another way, and he is happy with his results, no one can tell him he's wrong."

In my opinion, that was just good business sense taken form the dance studio model he used to create his system of proliferation.

When I came on board in 63, Mr. Parker had already lost the majority of the original guys, and that never changed. They came and went. But when what you expound is based on personal interpretation and satisfaction, over meticulous "how's" of execution, why would it be any other way?

www.MSUACF.com

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

Carol (07-13-2010),Celtic_Crippler (07-13-2010),HKphooey (08-17-2010),J Ellis (07-13-2010),jadewolf3 (07-11-2010),KirkS (07-10-2010),MarkC (07-13-2010),nelson (07-15-2010),sigung86 (07-10-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,519 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doc
    " ...every student is a style unto himself."
    Outstanding!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: What If There WAS A Successor?

I actually think the crux goes beyond politics and egos.

These are U.S. Electoral Maps for the 1980 and 1984 Presidential Election.

This was the last time in U.S. history that Massachusetts and Texas both voted for the same President.

A galvanizing leader is not only talented and charismatic, they are able and (perhaps more important) willing to bring very different people together. Closer to home...other people with these traits are Dr. Hatsumi of the Bujinkan and the late Professor Remy Presas of Modern Arnis. Talented folks? Without a doubt. But also able a willing to bring many different folks together.

A successor to anything can be talented, charismatic, and impressive in his own right. But without the ability and the willingness to bring very different people together, the cohesion gets lost. Its human nature.
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carol For This Useful Post:

J Ellis (07-13-2010),Mac (07-14-2010)

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carol View Post
    I actually think the crux goes beyond politics and egos.

These are U.S. Electoral Maps for the 1980 and 1984 Presidential Election.

This was the last time in U.S. history that Massachusetts and Texas both voted for the same President.

A galvanizing leader is not only talented and charismatic, they are able and (perhaps more important) willing to bring very different people together. Closer to home...other people with these traits are Dr. Hatsumi of the Bujinkan and the late Professor Remy Presas of Modern Arnis. Talented folks? Without a doubt. But also able a willing to bring many different folks together.

A successor to anything can be talented, charismatic, and impressive in his own right. But without the ability and the willingness to bring very different people together, the cohesion gets lost. Its human nature.
    I think I am in love.

www.MSUACF.com

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

Carol (07-14-2010)

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Pity you're on the wrong coast.

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Dam! The story of my life. Brains are sooooo sexy.

www.MSUACF.com

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Post Re: What If There WAS A Successor?

Ed Parker did not expect to die when he did. He built a SYSTEM and fathered an ORGANIZATION that had the potential to live long after he passed. He said to me personnaly, not long before he passed away, that he felt that JEFF SPEAKMAN was the "future" of Kenpo. That statement does not detract from the skills or contributions of men like Paul Mills, or Ron Chapel, or Ted Sumner...the list is long and distinguished... but it does reflect his thinging at the time of his passing.

I have watched the contributions of the men mentioned as well as many other pretenders. I find it interesting that while all have built organizations and brought honor to the art, Jeff Speakman has accomplished severl things that are in the best tradition of what Ed Parker taught and lived:

1. He continued to expand and develop the body of knowledge Ed Parker left us. The IKKA requirement that candidates for advancement in the Black Belt Ranks must create both a written and a practical thesis was intended to creat a body og THINKING WARRIORS, not a body of unthinking robots. Jeff has expanded on that concept. While not everyone will agree on all the new concepts contained in Kenpo 5.0, there is no doubt that the creative process is alive and well.

2. He has worked to BUILD RESPECT within the disparate branches of Kenpo. He has done so by inviting top ranked instructors, from all over the world to teach at his annual training camps in Las Vegas. He has not required that they bow to his authority; but rather, he subjected himself to their collective judgement when he tested this year for his 8th degree... this in an era when there are more self promoted 10th degrees than you can hang on a christmas tree. When was the last time you recall a SENIOR INSTRUCTOR subjected hims self to the judgement of other,competing, Senior instructors?

3. He has continued to promote Kenpo to the general public through a series of motion pictures...with many more to come.

Ed Parker's statement that, "He felt Jeff Speakman was the future of Kenpo" has been fulfilled by deeds, not politics. It has been interesting to watch. It is an historic imperitive that Leadership is won by deeds, not political posturing. It is my opinion that Ed Parker could NOT have passed on the mantel of LEADER. It must be won by deeds alone. And perhaps not by one mane alone; but by a body of men working toward a common purpose.

One man's opinion.
    Respectfully,
    Mills Crenshaw

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mills Crenshaw For This Useful Post:

Bob Hubbard (07-24-2010),Carol (07-25-2010),Celtic_Crippler (07-25-2010),HKphooey (07-26-2010),J Ellis (07-24-2010),Z-Rex (07-24-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,699 Times in 966 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mills Crenshaw View Post
    One man's opinion.
    Respectfully,
    Mills Crenshaw
    It's bound to be controversial, but thank you for sharing it with us, sir. Congratulations on your own promotion. Mr. Speakman certainly has my respect.
    Joel Ellis
    LaGrange, GA

"This whole thing is about balance and timing." -- Damon Excell

If you do not consciously form good habits, you will unconsciously form bad ones.

If it is important, do it every day. If it is not important, don’t do it at all. (Dan Gable’s coaching philosophy)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,519 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mills Crenshaw View Post
    ... was intended to creat a body og THINKING WARRIORS, not a body of unthinking robots.
    Sad... because it seems to me that's what we've ended up with... unthinking robots regergitating what they've been spoon fed. Ironically, a bunch of traditionalist in that the majority adhere to a curriculum that is dated and refuse to change or deviate from the thinking of over 20 years ago.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Celtic_Crippler For This Useful Post:

Doc (2 Weeks Ago),nelson (2 Weeks Ago),Z-Rex (07-25-2010)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

And then again, naming a successor, while may be easier for the politics of an organization, would prove sticky with human relationships. Had Mr. Parker named a successor, some of the other 7th dans, as you've mentioned, may wonder, "Why him Why not <insert name of another 7th dan>?"
    Last edited by KirkS; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:08 AM. Reason: inserted spam
    buy coolers only here

Thanks

Tis true.... for we are on the Right coast.

Bunbun
    "Do you have any bactine? Some of this blood is mine."

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrBunny View Post
    Tis true.... for we are on the Right coast.

Bunbun
    As every Kenpo warrior knows: What matters is not who is right - but who is left!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Dragon For This Useful Post:

MrBunny (2 Weeks Ago)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Star Dragon View Post
    As every Kenpo warrior knows: What matters is not who is right - but who is left!
    Touche'
    "Do you have any bactine? Some of this blood is mine."

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Star Dragon View Post
    You forgot the quotation marks.

www.MSUACF.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links