Thread: Category Completion

Thanks
    Thanked 1,195 Times in 576 Posts

Default Category Completion

Category Completion seems to be one of the most widely used and least explained terms in all of EPAK. What is your definition of this term, how does it apply to how you use/approach the art and can you give specific examples where it is demonstrated?

Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    www.trianglekenpo.com

"I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

Thanks

Default Re: Category Completion

Quote Originally Posted by bdparsons
    Category Completion seems to be one of the most widely used and least explained terms in all of EPAK. What is your definition of this term, how does it apply to how you use/approach the art and can you give specific examples where it is demonstrated?

Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    Category Completion = Completing Categories, so many techniques in the kenpo system are similar in certain ways. This is becasue they are all a part of different categories.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Category completion is most widely used by Huk Planas, perhaps one of his students could provide more insight.
    Just because you do something one way, does not mean that everyone else does it that way, or that it is even the correct way.

Thanks

Category completion has to do with the movements within technqiues as opposed to the techniques themselves. For example, if someone is attacking us with a step through straight right punch, there are a number of reactions that we can take (depending on our environment and the targets that are available). For instance, we could move to the inside or outside of the punch; we could step back or forward; and possibly even move over or under the attack. As we explore these possibilities, we in turn, are learning how to complete categories of defense.

As another example, if you look at the beginner techniques, you will see that Delayed Sword covers the upper left quadrant, while Sword of Destruction covers the upper right quadrant. Then you have Deflecting Hammer which covers the lower right quadrant, and for those that still teach Intellectual Departure, this technique covers the lower left quadrant. Also, since most beginners have a tendency to step back when attacked (to get the heck out of the way), note that in all of these techniques are left foot is back, and we are using our strong side forward.

The problem that I have about category completion, however, is that there are many kenpoists out there who say that kenpo has a number of "don't do" techniques and that were only put in the system to complete a category. I advocate all 154 techniques, plus the 96 extensions and think all of them work if taught correctly.

Hope that helps!

Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,152 Times in 653 Posts

I have been working through this question myself, recently. My instructor is no doubt, attempting to answer the question, or lead me to finding the answer myself. But, recently several things have come together, that I think are leading me in the correct direction.

Mr. Planas often says that all Martial Arts are made up of two things; Basics and Techniques. He then queries the student to define Techniques as sequences of Basics. So, really, all Martial Arts are made up from 'Basics'.

I put that together with the phrase 'Category Completion'. ... A term with which I am still not certain I understand.

Somewhere, I got the idea of the Universal Pattern as component of the Category Completion idea. Don't know where.

So, what am thinking .... is to take a basic ... let's say, a handsword with the right hand. This is the first hand strike I learned, in Delayed Sword.

I see this right handsword attacking on 10:30 - 4:30 line of the Universal Pattern in Delayed Sword

I see the right handsword attacking on the 1:30 - 7:30 line of the Universal Pattern in Sword of Destruction.

I see the right handsword attacking on the 4:30 - 10:30 line of the Universal Pattern in Flashing Wings.

Once I use the right handsword on all 8 lines of the Universal Pattern, I have COMPLETED the CATEGORY for that Basic.

A note .... the handsword does not work on the 6:00 - 12:00 line very easily (our body doesn't bend that way), so the right ridgehand strike in Dance of Death.

Now, when I put these pieces together, I thought to myself, it can't be that simple, can it?

Well ... in discussions with my peers and my instructor, we have been directed to look at moves bigger than a 'Basic'.

I'm still working on that one ...

Mike

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links