Thread: KenpoKards

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Default KenpoKards

Don't know if this is a thread that has been started or not but a quick search didn't turn anything up so...

Has anyone here had an opportunity to check these out and if you have what are your thoughts on them?

Thanks

Default Re: KenpoKards

Quote Originally Posted by Preacherman
    Don't know if this is a thread that has been started or not but a quick search didn't turn anything up so...

Has anyone here had an opportunity to check these out and if you have what are your thoughts on them?
    Mr. Parker's son brought them to the WKKA camp again last year. They are supposed to be like the cards for the game Majic. I really didn't look at them anymore than that.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

About 1.5 years ago, I attended a seminar that Mr. Parker gave on the use of the Kards. I thought they were a neat training tool, and the conceptual info on the back of the cards is excellent. It gives you quick ways to categorize and sort the techs into different family groups and patterns, if I was EPAK I would have bought a pack then and there. But in the end it is simply another training tool, and one aimed at the watchmaker end of the spectrum.

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,152 Times in 653 Posts

I have the first set of KenpoKards. I also purchased the accompanying book. I look forward to the remaining two sets ... set two should be available before too much longer.

The artwork is nice ... but, I am more interested in what the Kards tell us on the back. There are several different ways to group and sort the technique deck to help create connections, and build knowledge reinforcement, I think.

Mr. Planas has suggested using the KenpoKards in Tournaments to test the broad spectrum of competitors knowledge. Pull a random card from the deck which the competitor then has to execute .... Kenpo Showdown. Neat Idea.

My one suggestion, which I have not yet made back to EPAKS, is to print the KenpoKards in a 'Studio Size' ... large enough for an instructor to use in a class of 12 or 15 students; Perhaps 9" x 15". The playing card size is too small for a medium size class.

Bob Hubbard is offline Retired

Thanks
    Thanked 2,158 Times in 1,155 Posts

Like giant flash cards huh?

I like the artwork. I don't understand the rest of it, but I'm not into CCG's either.
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

If you go to the www.kenpokards.co.uk site, they are in the planning stages of larger cards. So far, the thoughts an explainations from the sites lead me to believe that these could be a good thing. I was looking for some input from people that have them. Closed minds produce closed actions. I ordered the 1st dek with the autographed and numbered press sheet and the book. If they turn out to be useful, then 100 bucks well spent. If not then I just recieved another persons way of viewing what I love. Hence, 100 bucks well spent.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

I spoke with Mr. Parker a few weeks ago. Yes, the second deck should be out after the first of the year. Yes, he is working on a larger flash card, if I understood him correctly. The book is well laid out and thought out. I have a press sheet and it is beautiful. I also have one of 8x11 artwork pieces from the second deck. My instructor presented me with a Tech Deck when they first came out, I put them in baseball card style sheets and put them in binder. I found my students love them.
    Just because you do something one way, does not mean that everyone else does it that way, or that it is even the correct way.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Thank you Seig. That is exactly the type of response I was looking for. I bought the set as a Christmas gift for myself but the wife got them and wrapped them up before I could sneak a peek.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

EPAKS is taking advance orders for Tek Dek 2
    http://www.kenpokards.com/merchandise.html#dek2

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: KenpoKards

I would like to maybe state that these cards are NOT a CCG "like magic," they are a graphic representation of a technique with many insightful and informative information on the backs of them.

Yes they can be used for "games" like flash cards drilling techniques or competition, but they are NOT a CCG were a game is strickly played.

Your "thundering hammers" won't be taking out pikachoo any time soon.

At first I was skeptical of the artwork but they have grown on me. I think they are a good tool to drill or review techniques, like a visual notebook of sorts.

I think they are worthwhile.
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links