Thread: Favorite/Least Favorite Form

Thanks

Default Favorite/Least Favorite Form

If you had to choose, which form is your favorite learned to date? How come? How about your least favorite? How come?

Jamie Seabrook

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Favorite/Least Favorite Form

my favortie form is long four. i dont really know why
    least favorite is crain a kung fu form i had to learn it just didnt connect with me

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Favorite/Least Favorite Form

My favorite is Long Four...I think it helped me develop serious flow and pop as a kenpoist. My least favorite would be Long Three, It always felt like with the stop and start that you are always "riding the brakes" LOL
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    If you had to choose, which form is your favorite learned to date? How come? How about your least favorite? How come?

Jamie Seabrook
    Favorite: Long 5, I like how it flows

Least Favorite: Long 4, I feel that it is all over the place. There is no reall pattern to it.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate

Least Favorite: Long 4, I feel that it is all over the place. There is no reall pattern to it.
    \

dudddeee!?!?!?! long four is all about the patterns X, +, reverse and opposites. Your joking right?
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter
    \

dudddeee!?!?!?! long four is all about the patterns X, +, reverse and opposites. Your joking right?
    You got me heheh
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate

Wow, again not a response that I am used to, but interesting observation.

I too like Long Form 5, good choice.

Jamie Seabrook

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

I remember not liking Long 5 when i first learned it! I guess after learning Long 4 that had so much to remember and a lot of similar movements (the unwinding pendulum, reversing circles, snaking talon, circling fans section) I just felt very challenged by Long 4 and not so with Long 5.

The hardest part for me to learn in long 5 were the transitions between techniques - oh and that (what i like to call - the hop scotch portion - of course i mean Hopping Crane). That is until I REALLY started to tear Long 5 apart with a new instructor. It's one thing to learn the movements and a whole other ball game once you bring proper power, dynamic, alignment and coordination to it. I would have to say at this point Long 5 is my favorite. It has also really improved my Long 4.

I am about 2/3 of the way through Long 6 - I'm working on this one very slowly - because i know it can be a totally rocking form. Seen this done twice in demonstrations recently and it just blows the crowd away!

My least favorite is well Short 1! I like Long 1 so much better!

Peace,

Donna

Thanks

Any more favorite and least favorite forms?

Jamie Seabrook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,517 Times in 909 Posts

We commonly refer to Parker 5 as "the Fred Astaire form." LOL I personally have been caught singing "Putting on the Ritz" while performing this form and am eternally embarrassed to admit to it!! ROFL.

Seriously though...my favorite Parker form would have to be 6. I like disarms anyway so I guess that explains that. But I also like Parker 7 quite a bit too. I just can't decide. lol

My least favorite.....if I have to have one it would probably be Parker Long 2. But just the last quarter of it or so. The rest I like, but the last part of it just never "fealt" good to me. Don't ask me why...I can't put my finger on it.

My overall favorite form is specific to the EKKS and is called moving set 2. It's very fluid and the transitions ...well...flow..quite nicely. =)
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Does Brint Berry teach EPAK?

Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,517 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    Does Brint Berry teach EPAK?

Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com
    As the base of the system, yes. We require all Parker Forms and Techniques but have drastically exapanded our syllabus over the years. I say "we" but it was mostly Brint Berry (8th), Chris Thomas (6th), and Wade Wilbourn (5th) that contributed the most. My part thus far has been small but I don't mind. I have an extensive background in grappling and jiu-jitsu so we've started to include some of my knowledge on that, but a lot of it was all ready in there. =)

As a matter of fact most people see our syllabus and say "That's a lot of stuff to learn!"

There were some that blasted Mr. Berry and the EKKS because we don't do everything exactly as it was in 1990 when SGM Parker passed and Mr. Berry basically got fed up with it and started calling what we do "Berry Kenpo." But it's simply semantics. He really hates politics. =)

We hold the principles and ideas initially set forth by SGM Parker very dear and try to do our part to further those ideas and hold true to his memory. We welcome anyone from anywhere or style into our schools. We're all about the "kenpo", knowledge, and improvement.

Mr. Berry and Mr. Thomas studied and recieved thier black belts from Jay T. Will. Currently Mr. Berry is an officer serving in U.S. Army Intelligence. He most recently developed the "Hostile Combat Course" for the Army's special forces and we now have about 20 affiliate schools in the U.S and Peurto Rico. Being that he started out teaching in his back yard, I'd say he's done o.k. thus far. =)

Didn't mean to get so long winded....but I hope that answers your question. LOL =)
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

I am one of Wade Wilbourn's students as well, and am learning the EKKS syllabus.
    Seeing as I'm in the middle of learning Moving Set 2, I do have to admit... I enjoy it. I also have a soft spot for Kicking Set. Maybe b/c I've do it so much and have yet to test on it, but it feels good when you get it right.
    "Second chances they don't never matter, people never change
    Once a whore you're nothing more i'm sorry that'll never change
    And about forgiveness, we're both supposed to have exchanged
    I'm sorry honey, but i'm passing up, now look this way...*" --Paramore "Misery Business"

(*this is where a punch would be landed)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links