Thread: About the Journey

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Smile About the Journey

Hello Everyone
    I was Wondering who has read the book "The Journey" by Joe Hyams .
    What are your thoughts on this book, and is it worth purchasing a copy.
    Thank-you for the replies...
    Yours Truly
    Kenpo0324

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: About the Journey

Quote Originally Posted by kenpo0324
    Hello Everyone
    I was Wondering who has read the book "The Journey" by Joe Hyams .
    What are your thoughts on this book, and is it worth purchasing a copy.
    Thank-you for the replies...
    I think it is worth buying. Sometimes many people need some kind of influence or inspiriation they can identify with in their martial arts path. The variety of stories and paths taken by many of those featured to me was definately worth reading. This is said without even touching on the historical value these stories hold towards American Kenpo.
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Amen Hunter. I read my copy pretty much straight through over 3 days a few years ago when I got it which looks like it was around Summer 2001.

One of my goals is to get a class or seminar from as many people as I can who are in that book. I may hit the halfway point this year if I'm lucky. I haven't had the resources to pursue this harder than I have.

And let me plug this video while I'm at it... even though it is sold out, I think it is an interesting historical curiosity

http://www.akfkenpo.com/homecoming.htm

I shot this about 7yrs before the Journey came out and many of the people in this video are in the Journey. I've been lucky. Thanks to Mr. Duffy for that!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 798 Posts

Great book and Great video.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Lightbulb Re: About the Journey

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter
    I think it is worth buying. Sometimes many people need some kind of influence or inspiriation they can identify with in their martial arts path. The variety of stories and paths taken by many of those featured to me was definately worth reading. This is said without even touching on the historical value these stories hold towards American Kenpo.
    Ditto! I've reread it numerous times, & the stories definitely make me feel better & inspire me (as a matter of fact, just a couple of weeks ago I was looking at it & found a funny story by Ed Parker Jr about how his father was on the telephone...LOL).

Although there are some Kenpoists who were unfortunately left out, IMHO, if you have decided to study Kenpo "for the long haul" this book is a prerequisite (along with the "Infinite Insights" series).
    The truly educated never graduate.
    "To understand the heart & mind of a person, look not at what they have already achieved, but what they aspire to do." -Kahlil Gibran

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: About the Journey

Quote Originally Posted by cdhall
    And let me plug this video while I'm at it... even though it is sold out, I think it is an interesting historical curiosity

http://www.akfkenpo.com/homecoming.htm

I shot this about 7yrs before the Journey came out and many of the people in this video are in the Journey. I've been lucky. Thanks to Mr. Duffy for that!
    Yep - I have it too; it's awesome!
    "To understand the heart & mind of a person, look not at what they have already achieved, but what they aspire to do." -Kahlil Gibran

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gin-Gin2
    Although there are some Kenpoists who were unfortunately left out, IMHO, if you have decided to study Kenpo "for the long haul" this book is a prerequisite.
    interesting enough, but honestly can't say i got anything out of it, much less be a prerequisite for training.

who in your opinion were left out that should have been included?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,308 Posts

I bought it because my intstructor was featured. That is pretty cool. I enjoyed reading the other profiles as well. I have met many of these people over the years, or at least stood next to them, and Its good to have a book that lets them tell of their Kenpo journey in their own words.
    Sean

Thanks

It think it is an important book because it is part of our history. It allows us to get a little perspective into the people that have helped shape our art of the years.

It would have been better if every senior that was asked had submitted a bio but some chose not to which is a loss to all of us.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Arrow Re: About the Journey

Quote Originally Posted by pete
    interesting enough, but honestly can't say i got anything out of it, much less be a prerequisite for training.

who in your opinion were left out that should have been included?
    Sorry to hear that you didn't get anything out of it, Pete. I personally enjoyed the history of American Kenpo, the piece about Ed Parker Sr. written by his son, as well as the stories of the Kenpoists profiled. For me, the historical significance of the book is impressive & as I stated in my post, the stories inspire me as a student. It's good to know that others have had similar problems/experiences in their journey as well. I did not mean to say that it was a prerequisite for "training" in the sense of doing forms, sets, techniques, exercises, etc. but that I thought it was for the Kenpo student who has decided to "study" Kenpo for the long term, & to me, the history of AK (which includes those senior ranks featured in the book) is as important as the Art itself because IMO I think students should know where the Art came from.

As to who else should have been included, I realize that I probably should have left that statement out of my previous post. I'm sure many people out there have an opinion about who they think should have been included but for some reason were not. Since I did not have anything to do with the preparation of the book, I'd rather not start a flame war over it by naming names. Let's stay focused on the original topic, which was kenpo0324 asking if he should buy it.

Speaking only for myself, my opinion is "yes."
    Last edited by Gin-Gin2; 11-29-2005 at 07:32 PM.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Being a total Kenpo Addict... of course I have a copy... and I share my copy with pete! I think it's a great book to have as a collectable for any kenpoist. It's great to read how some senior ranking kenpoists began their journey.

Now personally, I enjoy collecting their signatures, as well as some of the folks who only appear in photos in the book. (they always seem to know what page they are on!) Everyone has been great about signing and to date we have collected 12 - 13 signatures along with their encouraging words about enjoying our own adventures!

Peace,

Donna

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Another important thing about the Journey seems to be overlooked. It is a conduit between students and the honorees. How many people would just walk up to one of these men and strike up a coversation? This is a method of introduction, and a conversing point. Most importantly, to me anyway, is that this books remind us that these great men all started as beginners....
    Just because you do something one way, does not mean that everyone else does it that way, or that it is even the correct way.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: About the Journey

Quote Originally Posted by Seig
    Another important thing about the Journey seems to be overlooked. It is a conduit between students and the honorees. How many people would just walk up to one of these men and strike up a coversation? This is a method of introduction, and a conversing point. Most importantly, to me anyway, is that this books remind us that these great men all started as beginners....
    Absolutely! (and there are great women honored as well)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gin-Gin2
    Absolutely! (and there are great women honored in there as well)
    Actually my favorite profile in the book is Doreen Cogliandro.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Allow me to add briefly, my voice in this conversation. First of all Ms. Rivera is right in not expressing her opinion, and having the standard of retracting her statement, good on ya' Jynne. A question more often asked of me is who SHOULDN'T be in the book, and if you want to see flames, well as the old saying goes "tighten your helmet cords".
    I know this of Tom Bleecker, he wanted to have many persons in the book but that would have been over several volumes, not just one. Still, I agree with Mr. Siegal (sp?), that it is a conduit to the past and to those who saw and practised a different Kenpo than the one used today. I cannot do a seminar, anywhere, without being asked how this was, that was, what was he thinking with that technique, and so on back in the day, and I'll wager that all the persons in the book get the same thing. People want to know their past, and they wish to connect with it. Those that don't will find the Journey the musings of those living in the past, which is ridiculous since all are still training and teaching quite successfully I might add.
    You all are creating the next "Journey" at least those of you that will stay the course, and it will be your story that is told. To the person with the original question, I think it's a good book and I learned alot about many people I thought I knew these past 40+ years. To me if your interested in the depths that Kenpo can take you, it becomes a no-brainer. I didn't want to be in it originally, but now that I am and I've read the stories of the others, I'm comforted knowing that they too do not see a Utopian system that solves all, they are still on the journey as well.
    (I've got to get off this NyQuil!!!)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by S. LaBounty
    First of all Ms. Rivera is right in not expressing her opinion, and having the standard of retracting her statement, good on ya' Jynne.
    Sorry this post is a bit late, but thank you for the compliment, Sir. I try to watch myself, but sometimes the fingers type faster than the brain works......hope you're doing well & are off the NyQuil.

And thanks for your post about the book; always nice to hear from someone who "was there."

Oss,
    Jynne

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links