Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basics - Blocks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,152 Times in 653 Posts

Default Basics - Blocks

These are the blocks listed as 'Basics' in the studio where I study. Submitted for discussion.

Inward
    Outward
    Upward
    Downward
    Inside Downward Palm Down
    Inside Downward Palm Up
    Pushdown
    Horizontal Downward Forearm
    Vertical Inside Forearm
    Vertical Outside Forearm
    Inside Downward Elbow
    Cross Down
    One-Leg Positional

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Basics - Blocks

An interesting note on the Inside Downward Palm Down is that it is the only action (that I know of) that requires a cocking action from certain positions. Given the mechanics of this block it cannot effectively be used from point of origin if it (the point of origin) is below the solar plexus (about). This can be observed at the end of Long 1 and in Long 4 in the left handed side of Prance of the Tiger (if i remember correctly).
    Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

it could be used in a sparring situation. say your in your RNB with left hand checking high and right hand low, and a person throws a right front kick you could use that block then graft into Intellecutal Departure.
    See, all I've gotta do is get loose like I'm fluid, dude, Rollin' up my sleeves on my gi and get into it. You and who, him and them? Line up in a single file. One on one, all for one...end up in a bigger pile. The ambiance of Martial Arts is constant, Nunchucks chuckin' when I step in the mosh pit. Wing Chun dummy getting splintered apart, Escrima sticks whippin' and I'm chipping the bark. What are you? A pink belt? I'll give you a head start. Kumite killin', with the spirit of Ed Parker.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

A few thoughts on blocking.

First off I doubt anyone needs a reminder of this, however I will say it anyway. When blocking a punch on the outside of the opponents arm be sure to make contact at or above the elbow, and when on the inside of the oppoents arm block below the elbow.

When blcoking it is important to remember that you must put atleast as much force into your block as the opponent puts into their strike. this is more a personal quirk i guess but when blocking punches coming in to my head and upper body I try to mimic a boxer when a punch is coming in. meaning I try to fade back with the punch, in the chance that my block is innefective the punch will not have the safe force as if I had kept my head stationary.

Just my thoughts

-Josh-
    Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

well...it depends what you wanna do with your block. what you described was force meeting force. if you wanted to "brush" it past, it could be parried or a "brush check," using force with force.
    See, all I've gotta do is get loose like I'm fluid, dude, Rollin' up my sleeves on my gi and get into it. You and who, him and them? Line up in a single file. One on one, all for one...end up in a bigger pile. The ambiance of Martial Arts is constant, Nunchucks chuckin' when I step in the mosh pit. Wing Chun dummy getting splintered apart, Escrima sticks whippin' and I'm chipping the bark. What are you? A pink belt? I'll give you a head start. Kumite killin', with the spirit of Ed Parker.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,308 Posts

I have a question. What is the difference between a block and a strike?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,152 Times in 653 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoChanger
    Pain!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by michaeledward
    Pain!
    I dunno, man...Ive done some blocks that have hurt whomever was attempting to strike....JING POWER!

Expanding on that...I realise some might not know what I mean by "jing"..I do a flick of my wrist at the last moment on the block...so the harder the throw, the more pain the attacker will be in because I send the energy back to him. Yet, I feel no pain at all...my "attacker" is in pain and thinks me evil. It is a win-win outcome for me

I know there's a better way to explain...but Im not very good at describing things
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

There is a big difference between a block and a strike. A block is a purely defensive move where a strike is purely offenseive. Should you block some a punch and without meaning to you break their arm it is a block. However if you block that same punch with the purpose to break their arm then it is considered a strike.

The difference is all in the intent. If you intend to cause harm to the opponent then it is considered a strike.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

intent.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dubljay
    If you intend to cause harm to the opponent then it is considered a strike.
    and that's all I wanna do...hehe.

Thanks

There is a big difference between a block and a strike. A block is a purely defensive move where a strike is purely offenseive. Should you block some a punch and without meaning to you break their arm it is a block. However if you block that same punch with the purpose to break their arm then it is considered a strike.

The difference is all in the intent. If you intend to cause harm to the opponent then it is considered a strike.
    If a block is "purely" defensive and a strike is "purely" offensive. At what point during the performance of the motion would you make the decission? Because these moves are pure, what exactly is different about the motion in and of itself? Should we be thinking about blocking and striking when fighting or do we just move from point of origin and let the chips fall where they may?
    Sean

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

I was speaking in theoretical or ideal terms. Like I said already the difference between a block and a strike is intent. With an inward blocking motion I can break someone’s arm. The only thing that distinguishes it from an inward block to a forearm strike is my intent. The motion may be the same but it is defined by its intent.

Thanks

Yes, but when during the motion do you include intent or do you do you do the whole motion from start to finish with that intent?

Sean

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Yes, but when during the motion do you include intent or do you do you do the whole motion from start to finish with that intent?

Sean
    Intent is intent. If you INTEND to do harm even in a defensive manor then you decide that when you use a "block" to break their arm. If you simply react and break their arm without thinking about the intent or consequences of blocking with all your strength then there is no intent to cause injury making it a block.

Thanks

So then injuries are unintended consequences of blocking and blocking can be an unintended consequence of striking unless of course an injury was sustained, making it a strike again?

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

So then injuries are unintended consequences of blocking and blocking can be an unintended consequence of striking unless of course an injury was sustained, making it a strike again?
    Ya lost me... I don't understand.

When I use the term intent I refer to YOUR intent, not the intent of the person attacking you.

Thanks

Ya lost me... I don't understand.

When I use the term intent I refer to YOUR intent, not the intent of the person attacking you.
    So was I. I just want to know when should intent occur or should it occur at all during the performance of your basic motion.
    Sean

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

So was I. I just want to know when should intent occur or should it occur at all during the performance of your basic motion.
    Sean
    Intent is a personal judgment. In the midst of an altercation you must decide if this it is necessary to harm this person.

Thanks

Intent is a personal judgment. In the midst of an altercation you must decide if this it is necessary to harm this person.
    I would contend you make that decission before the altercation, and that you have two choices. Because these motions are so laden with both offensive and defensive applications, you should either view the whole art and what you do with it at the time of confrontation a series of checks or a series of strikes. To stop in the middle of the fight for an intent one way or the other seems complex. My answer to the question I have been trying to ask you is half way. Motion takes the identity of a specific basic, at the halfway point. (just my opinion) I am just curious about when during your motion do you make this decision.
    Sean

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links