Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Basics - Stances

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Basics - Stances

I received a tip recently from a fellow bad knee sufferer.......we've both blown one of our knees and had them surgically repaired. Anyway, if you tighten up your quad muscle just before you go into your wide kneel, it helps a lot with the knee strain- seems to work well so far.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Hmm I will have to try that, thanks Shodan.
    Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

Thanks

Im going to tell you what helped me with stances period...

Fencing.

I had done Kenpo for 3 years at that point and quite frankly, my stances were poo, due to bad knees. The fencing stances pretty much forced me to get comfortable with it, somehow. My knees are still poo, but now I don't feel like Im standing straight up AND it made my wide kneel stance more comfortable too...I found after taking the fencing for a few months that my stance sets felt much more natural to me.

Anyways, my 2 cents
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

...methinks the only to learn fencing would be to take it as a gym credit...and I already used all my gym credits my freshman year in Kenpo.
    See, all I've gotta do is get loose like I'm fluid, dude, Rollin' up my sleeves on my gi and get into it. You and who, him and them? Line up in a single file. One on one, all for one...end up in a bigger pile. The ambiance of Martial Arts is constant, Nunchucks chuckin' when I step in the mosh pit. Wing Chun dummy getting splintered apart, Escrima sticks whippin' and I'm chipping the bark. What are you? A pink belt? I'll give you a head start. Kumite killin', with the spirit of Ed Parker.

Thanks

I love fencing...but Ive been to broke to go back for over a year ;_;
    Susan A. Spann

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

methinks I'm just broken...
    See, all I've gotta do is get loose like I'm fluid, dude, Rollin' up my sleeves on my gi and get into it. You and who, him and them? Line up in a single file. One on one, all for one...end up in a bigger pile. The ambiance of Martial Arts is constant, Nunchucks chuckin' when I step in the mosh pit. Wing Chun dummy getting splintered apart, Escrima sticks whippin' and I'm chipping the bark. What are you? A pink belt? I'll give you a head start. Kumite killin', with the spirit of Ed Parker.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chronuss
    methinks I'm just broken...
    Does that mean we have to shootchya now?

Kidding!
    Susan A. Spann

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

shooting has nothing to do with speeding up the healing process.

Thanks

shooting has nothing to do with speeding up the healing process.
    No, but in the old days, they didn't bother with that whole new-fangled healing thing
    Susan A. Spann

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

okay...we've diverged...heavily...need to ask Bob to make a banter forum...

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I considered doing that one time to my knees but my Instructor talked me out of it by making me do 150 Shaolin Push-Ups. Now I just keep it to myself when my knees go bothering me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miyu
    Does that mean we have to shootchya now?

Kidding!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by asangria
    I considered doing that one time to my knees but my Instructor talked me out of it by making me do 150 Shaolin Push-Ups. Now I just keep it to myself when my knees go bothering me.
    ..save the crying for when you get home??

In all due seriousness, if youve got something wrong with your knee, putting more stress on it doesn't exactly make it better =/ I would question anyone who would potentially make the injury worse.

I can't afford surgery for my knee, so when its really bad (as in Im crying to walk), I usually go to my chiropractor and he gives it a nudge to release the tension.
    Susan A. Spann

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miyu
    ..save the crying for when you get home??

In all due seriousness, if youve got something wrong with your knee, putting more stress on it doesn't exactly make it better =/ I would question anyone who would potentially make the injury worse.

I can't afford surgery for my knee, so when its really bad (as in Im crying to walk), I usually go to my chiropractor and he gives it a nudge to release the tension.
    Actually I stopped thinking about my knees being sore to my arms being sore. I started to take Glucosamine Sulfate 500 and my knees have improved slightly. Sometimes I think since I hurt my knees previously I have a tendency to get scared I'll re-injure them so I'll become too tentative.

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,861 Times in 5,545 Posts

Default Re: The Close Kneel Stance...

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Lear
    To add to dubljay's post... While you're in a close kneel stance your rear knee should be approximately two inches from the ground. (If you want to get technical and use A.U.s then the distance from the ground should be one thumb space.)
    A.U.? You stealin' again Billy? I'll be watchin' you!
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doc
    A.U.? You stealin' again Billy? I'll be watchin' you!
    Who's stealing? I'm not stealing. I didn't do it. You didn't see me do it. You can't prove anything!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Lear
    Who's stealing? I'm not stealing. I didn't do it. You didn't see me do it. You can't prove anything!

...are the sheep lying?
    Susan A. Spann

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

My friend there's a lot of stances which drives momentum force to all Kenpo movement, in our system of Kenpo ( Kime Ushi Do ) our master developed an once to all defense stance, which of course can be used at most of the inner and outter circle of fire, "the figthing angles" if you know what I mean, its called "The not assumend stant" its potential are based on the basic of hiding the intentions of attack to the opponent.

Continue your Kenpo studies I know that you will became a great martial artist, remeber practice made the difference.

Ricsanabria
    Quote Originally Posted by michaeledward
    These are the stances listed as 'Basics' in the studio where I study. Submitted for discussion.

Neutral Bow

Forward Bow
    Reverse Bow
    One Leg Stance
    Reverse Bow
    Wide Kneel
    Close Kneel
    45 Degree Cat Stance
    Front Twist
    Rear Twist
    Concave
    Rotating Twist
    Diamond Stance

Oddly, I don't have listed the 90 Degree Cat Stance. I think this is probably an oversight.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Halo kepoist

Knees injuries are dangerous, so my advice to you is to stop the circular movement as some Kenpo tecniques has it. Insted you should practice as more as tecniques using angles that wont hurt your menicuss. Listen when I came back from support operations at Irak war I felt pain at my rigth meniscuss it was terrible for me, well I stop immidiatly the training, trowing kick's and hitting bags you know, insted I sit in a good confortable chair, and even if looks stupid I practice my techniques while sitted at least I dont forget the movements and when I found myself better the only thing that I had to do is to re-develop the lap between hand movement and body aligthment. Hope its works for you.

Waiting period was about 3 months.

Ricsanabria
    okay, this is laughable...I'm a young college student, yadda, yadda...but this stance hurts my knees like there's no tomorrow especially a transition from close to wide. if I try to go lower, I start getting this nice searing pain latterally across my miniscus...is that even remotely near normal?

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt

AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Cool Re: The Close Kneel Stance...

okay, this is laughable...I'm a young college student, yadda, yadda...but this stance hurts my knees like there's no tomorrow especially a transition from close to wide. if I try to go lower, I start getting this nice searing pain latterally across my miniscus...is that even remotely near normal?
    It is "normal" for beginners that are out of condition or individuals that may have injured said area prior. My question to you is..... how much do you truly 'train", especially this stance for strength? I'll bet not very much...... (am I close)? If there is a injury to a specific area.... then you need to "rehab'" it then continue with training or "modify" per your particular situation and conditions.

If any part of the human anatomy is asked to "work" outside of it's normal "everyday" activity... it will fatigue quickly until conditioned for that action.

The remedy is to train that specific action for improvement.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

it's not that it fatigues, it's literally a searing pain, as if someone stuck needles completely across my kneecap or is holding a hot piece of metal against it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links