Thread: Surprise Attacks

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Default Surprise Attacks

No matter how much or how little training you have, Personally what is your strong suit or gut reaction in a surprise attack?

Are you a offensive or defensive by nature?

Do you kick or punch or both?

Do you react by doing a bonafide Tec? Or do you use the Equation formula and come up with something Kenpoish, or is it something totally off-the-wall?
    Elaborate on how you react.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Default Re: Surprise Attacks

Formulate on the spot from the vocabulary I already have.
    Not a big believer in the whole "I'll pull off a by the book Technique" theory. It's not very alive or responsive. The times I need to use my martial arts skills I usually tend to formulate on the spot in order to make the response appropriate to the needs and restrictions of the situation I'm in. Flow with the moment I guess.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

I tend to use joint manipulation and throws. I'm aggressive in sparring- very offensive at times.. ahems

Thanks

Im aggressive. Any hesitation can cause me to lose an advantage. Not to mention adreniline would be in my favour.

I have never needed to pull off an entire technique. I usually do traps, throws, or otherwise take folks to the ground.
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

I like to open up with the beginning of Thundering Hammers or Five Swords, from there, I wing it.
    Just because you do something one way, does not mean that everyone else does it that way, or that it is even the correct way.

Thanks

I agree - Five swords is a very good way to start a counter against an opponent. You can do so much from that begining point
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Lightbulb Re: Surprise Attacks

Since we're talking about surprise attacks, I would probably do pieces (or "grafts") of techniques; whatever was appropriate for the attack.
    The truly educated never graduate.
    "To understand the heart & mind of a person, look not at what they have already achieved, but what they aspire to do." -Kahlil Gibran

MJS
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,132 Times in 599 Posts

IMO, I think that it would all come down to what is happening at the current time. This is one of the reasons why its important to work spontanious drills during class.

Mike

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MJS
    IMO, I think that it would all come down to what is happening at the current time. This is one of the reasons why its important to work spontanious drills during class.

Mike
    YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!
    Couldn't agree more. Being able to be spontanious, I think, IS the key. That's one of the beautiful things about Kenpo IMHO!! That there's not position (or more importantly, relative position) from which you don't know multiple options to do "From There"...so if you have a high degree of sensitivity and can react to the needs of the moment, the Kenpo-response will just flow and be dynamic.

Thanks MJS

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

As someone who is currently trying to be more spontaneous versus mechanical, I think I would look to control the opponents weapon first, then go into the appropriate response.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,517 Times in 909 Posts

Control is usually the second step for most. Deflect/Defend is usually the first.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

I don’t know if I would be classified as offensive or defensive but I tent to go after or intercept what is coming at me. If it’s a punch coming in I tend to respond with a kenpo’ish 5 swords response. Sometimes all said and done I’ve hit my target with a few more strikes then normal and not all look like perfect equation formula strikes. (maybe a back hand or ridge hand thrown in) But I did something! LOL
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

I am big on spontaneous responses, once I stop the attck I keep hitting until they hit the ground, the few times i have had to defend myself I have done the same thing.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Often thought that in a supprise situation my first reaction would be one of pure viciousness.. for reasons of intimidation and gaining a second to take in teh situation..

however I was in DC and a friend of mine thought he woudlbe funny and attacked me from behind.. I turned and did a rising block alla long 2 and started to drive my fist into his floating ribs from a nice close kneel.

so I guess.. I am not sure how I would react to the "Supprise" attack.. but it was a good feeling that technique kicked in without thinking.
    "Do you have any bactine? Some of this blood is mine."

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

I believe I'm defensive by nature and would sooner parry than strike.
    Loyal student of Sifu DangeRuss
    Sam Pai Kenpo

"Jeet Kune Do: it's just a name; don't fuss over it. There's no such thing as a style if you understand the roots of combat." -Bruce Lee

Thanks

iv had moments where my Kenpo comes out.. footwork, navigating thru crowds... i naturally do crossovers... and kneels when i have to get something off the ground..

once i was at this bar and had several drinks.. not wasted by any means but fuzzy.. coming out of the bathroom.. and someone pushes the door really fast inward towards me.. immediatly i stepped back (i think i stepped back, or i was already in a neutral position, cant remember lol) and shot an inward block to the door without thinking. and i stopped it.. i didnt push with the block, i struck it with enough force to stop it. little things like that reassure me that things are becoming readily available to me as i progress in Kenpo...

Thanks

Every attack is different, and so is my response. But, usually, I just do what comes naturally- then, when it's over, I go and clean my pants!

Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thedan View Post
    I go and clean my pants!

Dan C
    My kids think something is wrong with me now. LOL I busted out laughing when I read that.
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links