Thread: How to learn by yourself.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up How to learn by yourself.

Hello im back i started a new job im working four ten's its a pretty long day id love to get back into the martial arts its been about a year so i tried several different schools in my area.The problem is there isnt a Kenpo school around here for about 2 hours The Dan, i even stopped in and visited the Kali arnis school they directed me to several other schools because he said they would be a little more suited for me than to switch over to philipino martial arts it would be a big leap. All i have is the Basic's and the material on how to execute the tequniqes and forms. I am not too thrilled to give up kenpo completly but i just dont have anyone else to practice with that can give me a good challenge So should i practice bymyself or join a school to stay motivated? i really like what kenpo has done for me so far but i am thirsty for knowledge that others can give me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 674 Posts

Default Re: How to learn by yourself.

I have to imagine there are Kenpo guys around, even if you haven't found them. Where are you?

And, assuming there really is no kenpo, I would suggest picking up a different art; what ever is in the area. I think training on your own will not be productive. Even while it may be time consuming.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by green_blurr View Post
    Hello im back i started a new job im working four ten's its a pretty long day id love to get back into the martial arts its been about a year so i tried several different schools in my area.The problem is there isnt a Kenpo school around here for about 2 hours The Dan, i even stopped in and visited the Kali arnis school they directed me to several other schools because he said they would be a little more suited for me than to switch over to philipino martial arts it would be a big leap. All i have is the Basic's and the material on how to execute the tequniqes and forms. I am not too thrilled to give up kenpo completly but i just dont have anyone else to practice with that can give me a good challenge So should i practice bymyself or join a school to stay motivated? i really like what kenpo has done for me so far but i am thirsty for knowledge that others can give me.
    Then you make it a point to go when and where yo can to get that material.
    I am the only one in Nebraska that teaches EPAK, and my teacher is in Ma.
    If you want Kenpo, then you have to follow the path that takes you there.
    My Respects
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

Gin-Gin2 (08-28-2007)

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

***So should i practice bymyself or join a school to stay motivated? i really like what kenpo has done for me so far but i am thirsty for knowledge that others can give me.
    I'd suggest that the answer to your question depends on what you are trying to get out of Kenpo. If being proficient at self-defense is a significant goal, you will need someone to "attack" you. I don't think doing "techniques in the air" is good enough. Its like swimming without ever going into the water. But that doesn't mean your attacker has to be another person from Kenpo. Anyone willing to throw a punch at you will work.

You might then find traveling 2 hours a couple times a month works fine if you have a local training partner. You may be able to find someone already experienced in a martial art that wants to learn a little of Kenpo. But if either tournament fighting or ring fighting is your focus, you probably can find someone (doesn't have to be Kenpo) local that can teach you and help you find opportunities to participate.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (08-07-2007)

Thanks

greener, give me a shout. I can't push you like you need, as we've talked about before. But I can go through some of the techs with you. I may be able to help as well if you want to go with something else. There used to be some hard corps TKD groups in both Quincy and Moses Lake- not too much of a drive from you. If you're interested in some hard workouts, they could accomodate you. We'll see if I can get you hooked up, if they are still active.

Mr. Minitani is back in the area and teaching in Moses Lake right now. I've done some privates with him, and he's pretty good. He's mostly into Aiki, Jujitsu and some FMAs'. But, if you want a good school I'd recomend him. Well worth the drive.

I can dummy for you if you want to do a video course, too. But I'd recomend you check out the other options first. Give me a call (you got my number), or PM if you want to.

Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

If you could find a way to train, how would you?

I think Kit talked about getting panhandlers to practice on.

Others talk about have friends come over.

Others talk about having the discipline to do DVD training.

There is always a way when you want it bad enough.

Have fun.
    DOC

9. The Following User Says Thank You to John M. La Tourrette For This Useful Post:

Gin-Gin2 (08-28-2007)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Hey green,
    The above are all good suggestions. I would also add, if you would like some extra work at home to visit the www.karateconnection.com and read the plans for building a work out dummy at home. I recently had to give up classes do to work and family schedule conflicts. I also have no one to work out with currently, but I have the karate connection belt tapes and built the dummy, so I could practice my kenpo techs. I also modified the dummy a bit by putting on arms that can be posed in different positions to better target my blocks and have actual arms around me on bear hug techs. I did this by getting extra large aluminum wire, (copper doesn't stay where you put it), at home depot and clamping it on across the back of the shoulders before wrapping anything with padding. I also clamped on enough wire on the cross bar at waist high, to come out the back and around the body to simulate a leg. Then I can fold that back behind the body when I don't need it. This cost all of about $50. It's not ideal, but helps me stay in touch with the art and actually hit something with a lot of power.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kwikarlo For This Useful Post:

Celtic_Crippler (08-09-2007),Gin-Gin2 (08-28-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kwikarlo View Post
    Hey green,
    The above are all good suggestions. I would also add, if you would like some extra work at home to visit the www.karateconnection.com and read the plans for building a work out dummy at home. I recently had to give up classes do to work and family schedule conflicts. I also have no one to work out with currently, but I have the karate connection belt tapes and built the dummy, so I could practice my kenpo techs. I also modified the dummy a bit by putting on arms that can be posed in different positions to better target my blocks and have actual arms around me on bear hug techs. I did this by getting extra large aluminum wire, (copper doesn't stay where you put it), at home depot and clamping it on across the back of the shoulders before wrapping anything with padding. I also clamped on enough wire on the cross bar at waist high, to come out the back and around the body to simulate a leg. Then I can fold that back behind the body when I don't need it. This cost all of about $50. It's not ideal, but helps me stay in touch with the art and actually hit something with a lot of power.
    The Ultra-Man is an awesome tool.

Cool thing about Chuck and Vic.... if you can't afford to buy an Ultraman dummy...they will show you how to build one! To me, that says a lot about where they stand on promoting the art.

Would you mind sharing your plans on how you added the adjustable arms? I've been toying with that idea myself but didn't want to turn it into a Wing-Chun dummy.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

CC,
    Make sure you attach the wire along the back of the shoulders after you get the PVC skeleton securely cemented together, but before you put any padding on. (If you are making the leg, attach at the cross bar in the middle of the frame). I used the circular clamps that can be tightened with a screw driver, and attached to the out side of the T joints that make up the shoulders. You'll find the clamps in the plumbing section. You'll need 6-7 ft of the wire, depending on how long you want the arms. The wire itself will actually be 2 large wires surrounded by several small ones, all in one casing. By large, I mean aprrox 1/4 inch diameter. Aluminum will hold position (unlike copper) until contact is made and will move enough to get the limb out of the way if you throw your block correctly. I cover these with kids swimming noodles, rather than carpet, because you can only have so much weight on them or they won't hold position straight out like a punch. Leave about 3 inches at the top of the arm with no padding on it, so you can get the arm into any position you'd like.
    Hope this helps. Let me know if there is something I didn't cover.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

CC,
    I forgot to mention, in the above post, that you can add this to an exsisting homemade dummy by cutting through all the tape and carpet along the back of the shoulders with a utility knife, getting it clamped on and then re taping everything. Messy but effective. I didn't come up with this idea until after I had made my dummy, THEN ran across plans for a grappling dummy using the wire idea for the limbs.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links