Thread: Sibok Tom Kelly?

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Default Sibok Tom Kelly?

I have recently been hearing the praise/s of Mr. Kelly from my instuctor, and I was wondering if anyone has worked with him, or has any stories to add about the "Man-Mountain", as my instuctor refers to him...
    I've checked out his website, and browsed through Mr. LaBounty's old pictures, so I know what he looks like, at least...Any of the seniors here have fond(or not so fond) memories that they would like to share?
    Thanks

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,957 Times in 5,604 Posts

Default Re: Sibok Tom Kelly?

Quote Originally Posted by Black St1300 View Post
    I have recently been hearing the praise/s of Mr. Kelly from my instuctor, and I was wondering if anyone has worked with him, or has any stories to add about the "Man-Mountain", as my instuctor refers to him...
    I've checked out his website, and browsed through Mr. LaBounty's old pictures, so I know what he looks like, at least...Any of the seniors here have fond(or not so fond) memories that they would like to share?
    Thanks
    I was putting the IKC Flyer together one year long before computers and had inadvertently misspelled his name with an "e" as in "Kelley." ( I even misspelled Mr. Parker's name once as "Edmond.") Anyway I called Tom Kelley (int sp) to apologize from the misstake. He was his usual self and said, "Don't worry about it my man, the "e" stands for excellence. You have my permission to always spell my name with the "excellent "e." That's Tom Kell"e"y.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

Black St1300 (07-17-2007),sifuroy (07-17-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

I was putting the IKC Flyer together one year long before computers and had inadvertently misspelled his name with an "e" as in "Kelley." ( I even misspelled Mr. Parker's name once as "Edmond.") Anyway I called Tom Kelley (int sp) to apologize from the misstake. He was his usual self and said, "Don't worry about it my man, the "e" stands for excellence. You have my permission to always spell my name with the "excellent "e." That's Tom Kell"e"y. __________________
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the concientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Beauty fades, but dumb is forever." - Judge Judith Sheindlin.

www.MartialScienceUniversity.com

See what a positive attetude will get you!

Regards,
    Carl

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

The first time I met him, 1974, I was "just a guy that walked into his studio" and he was busy, and I didn't even get the time of day from him.

The next time I met him, he watched me fight, and after the fight came over and told me "You are one of the fastest MF's I've seen". This was at a tournament in Pocatello ID, somewhere around 75-78.

He's a good man, a big man, and he does know Kenpo. So if you want to learn kenpo...

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

6. The Following User Says Thank You to John M. La Tourrette For This Useful Post:

Black St1300 (07-20-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John M. La Tourrette View Post
    The first time I met him, 1974, I was "just a guy that walked into his studio" and he was busy, and I didn't even get the time of day from him.

The next time I met him, he watched me fight, and after the fight came over and told me "You are one of the fastest MF's I've seen". This was at a tournament in Pocatello ID, somewhere around 75-78.

He's a good man, a big man, and he does know Kenpo. So if you want to learn kenpo...

Dr. John M. La Tourrette
    Good story!
    Maybe one day in the near future I'll be able to get out to Kansas for a visit, unless Mr. Kelly does some kind of seminar closer to my home...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

There is some great footage of Tom Kelly on the American Gladiators video. There is a thread about the video in the Product reviews area of this site.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Broad For This Useful Post:

Black St1300 (07-20-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Good story!
    Maybe one day in the near future I'll be able to get out to Kansas for a visit, unless Mr. Kelly does some kind of seminar closer to my home...
    Sibok teaches at the WKKA camps in Baltimore every fall and in Connecticut every spring. My instructor is working to bring him in to do seminars at our school on Long Island sometime in the next few months, but we don't have a date worked out yet.

I was unlucky enough to live in Kansas for a couple of years, but fortunate enough to be 85 miles away from his school, and spent about 18 months driving down there twice a week. I wish I could have studied under him longer, and I loved sitting around hearing lots of great stories about all of the years he has spent teaching and competing around the country. I take every chance I can to get to where he is teaching when he hits this coast. Always well worth it.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T-Bo For This Useful Post:

Black St1300 (07-21-2007),John M. La Tourrette (08-07-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bo View Post
    Sibok teaches at the WKKA camps in Baltimore every fall and in Connecticut every spring. My instructor is working to bring him in to do seminars at our school on Long Island sometime in the next few months, but we don't have a date worked out yet.

I was unlucky enough to live in Kansas for a couple of years, but fortunate enough to be 85 miles away from his school, and spent about 18 months driving down there twice a week. I wish I could have studied under him longer, and I loved sitting around hearing lots of great stories about all of the years he has spent teaching and competing around the country. I take every chance I can to get to where he is teaching when he hits this coast. Always well worth it.
    Fantastic!
    Keep me posted...If I'm not working or watching the kids(same thing) I'm there...
    Thanks...

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

My Kenpo Instructor trained with Mr. Kelly for over ten years and I have heard many stories about his abilities and his teaching methods. I have had the pleasure of training with two of his top students on a few occassions...Mr. and Mrs. Eskandarian....and they are phenoms at kenpo...it is amazing to watch them move.

If you want to see Mr. Kelly fight in his prime....watch the new gladiators DVD....he is a monster in the ring....lol

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Sibok Tom Kelly?

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
    If you want to see Mr. Kelly fight in his prime....watch the new gladiators DVD....he is a monster in the ring....lol
    Yes, it's great to watch Sibok & the other "gladiators"--they were/are some "tough customers"--can't imagine only wearing masking tape around my ankle & wrist, but those were the days...thank goodness we have safety equipment now!

Yes, Sibok Kelly is a great teacher; unfortunately, I haven't seen him since 2001 (different associations with camps in different parts of the country I guess), but I'll never forget my first two Kenpo camps as a White & Yellow belt that I attended--he was one of the instructors, & not only was he great at teaching, & worked us hard, but I've always remembered some of the things he would tell us at the end of class, like: "You get out of it what you put into it" (referring to the amount of training), and about "having the Art in your heart." He, like so many of the Kenpo Seniors, has the Art in his heart & I'm so proud to have met & trained with him albeit briefly. Hope he's doing well, & I'd love to see him again at another seminar/camp. His Kenpo camp in Kansas was the very 1st one I attended, & where I quit smoking cold turkey & fell in love with Kenpo, so he (amongst others) will always have a special place in my heart because of that.

If he ever reads this, I would like to tell him: Oss, Sibok! Thank You for being a part of my Kenpo journey!

With Love & Respect,
    Gin-Gin2
    The truly educated never graduate.
    "To understand the heart & mind of a person, look not at what they have already achieved, but what they aspire to do." -Kahlil Gibran

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Gin-Gin2 For This Useful Post:

Black St1300 (08-24-2007)

Thanks

Thanks
    I have taken a few seminars with Mr. Kelly at the WKKA camp. He has some of the quickest hands I have ever seen. He is one of the nicest people I have ever met as well. He teaches at the WKKA camps, of which the one in October is in Baltimore. He will be doing hand speed drills along with a few other seminars. I would recommend him as a teacher for anyone.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate View Post
    I have taken a few seminars with Mr. Kelly at the WKKA camp. He has some of the quickest hands I have ever seen. He is one of the nicest people I have ever met as well. He teaches at the WKKA camps, of which the one in October is in Baltimore. He will be doing hand speed drills along with a few other seminars. I would recommend him as a teacher for anyone.
    Where do I sign up/Who do I call?

Thanks

Where do I sign up/Who do I call?
    Whomever has any questions on how to sign up give me a PM.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
    My Kenpo Instructor trained with Mr. Kelly for over ten years and I have heard many stories about his abilities and his teaching methods. I have had the pleasure of training with two of his top students on a few occassions...Mr. and Mrs. Eskandarian....and they are phenoms at kenpo...it is amazing to watch them move.

Mr. Bullock

Thanks for the plug.
    Burt & Laura

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Laura & I have been students of Si-Bok for the last 17 years.
    Laura currently holds a 4th degree Black and I hold the 3rd Black. We both train and teach at Si-Boks studio in Kansas. It has been a great ride. I hope you all get a chance of taking classes with Si-Bok.
    He has a saying that hits home. "He was Kenpo when Kenpo wasn't cool!" He has a web page that is under construction but there is still some info in it. www.tomkellyskenpokarate.com

Respect
    Burt & Laura

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links