Thread: Making Contact-Beginner/Intermediate

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Default Making Contact-Beginner/Intermediate

Our students mentioned they were getting 'bored' with the tecs they 'already knew'. So chuckling under our breath, we challenged them. These are yellow to adv. purple students who are skilled in the tecs at their levels but have grown complacent and very comfortable with each other as partners. Now our challenge to them is, Actually Hit each other, Actually Attack each other (of course using control and not hurting on purpose). Now does Delayed sword actually work? Gee are you able to get the block in Alternating maces when someone is pushing and not just standing there with their hands on your chest? Why are you not settling into your stance when attacked? Where's the knee buckled? The list goes on, They now are seeing where their weaknesses lie , be it targeting, torque, stances or their use of power/control.

Suffice it to say, a few bruises and deflated egos arose. But now these 'bored students' are having a ball and we're actually seeing some Kenpo. The same tecs they have grown proficient in, have taken on a whole new persona.
    They have to hone their basic skills in this manner which they thought were already 'honed'

~Tess

Thanks

Default Re: Making Contact-Beginner/Intermediate

Right on KenpoTess.

Jamie Seabrook

www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

Thanks

Excellent
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Making Contact-Beginner/Intermediate

Right on, Tess!
    The truly educated never graduate.
    "To understand the heart & mind of a person, look not at what they have already achieved, but what they aspire to do." -Kahlil Gibran

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Sometimes they only time you can take students to the next level is when they have forced you to. What I mean is that Tess and I had always intended to take them where they are now, but they were never ready. Finally, they forced us to take them there. This serves a few purposes, one of which is to reinforce the technique.
    Just because you do something one way, does not mean that everyone else does it that way, or that it is even the correct way.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

I'm so digging this Tess and Seig. Sounds like you really know your students.

Peace,

Donna

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

This sounds very much like an experience I had with my instructor. I mentioned that I was fairly confident in my ability to effectivally use a technique... with the intensity turned up it became a whole new ball game. A very valuble lesson. When the intensity is up it really brings to light the fact that the techniques as taught really are just 'ideal'.
    Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

In our curriculuum, we are required to learn the equation formula at Orange belt. One of the things I do with my purple belts and above is to tell them before sparring class to pick a technique or two and to try to apply them in a live sparring class. This is a practice I myself use on a regular basis.
    Just because you do something one way, does not mean that everyone else does it that way, or that it is even the correct way.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seig
    One of the things I do with my purple belts and above is to tell them before sparring class to pick a technique or two and to try to apply them in a live sparring class. This is a practice I myself use on a regular basis.
    I like that outlook too!! Might think about taking in one element from an anti-kick technique and one from an anti-punch.... then seek out (or better yet, CREATE) your opening.

Sounds like you guys are very sensitive to your students needs in their maturing process. Good goin!!!!!! Becoming complacent is a hurdle I think we all, at one point or another, need to clear or get caught up by! A good instructor (or two, in this case) can help the student learn from it instead of falling on their face from it.
    Can't wait to hear of their rekindled enthusiasm and continued progress! Keep us posted.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

I like that idea seig of actually using your kenpo when you spar. I read a book that followed a students trainging experiences with his sifu and there was a whole chapter devoted to this. How many people really spar using the movements of the system? Watch any tourny and so many people all look the same in the basic way they fight. Now I know point sparring doesn't lend itself to elbows, groin strikes (except maybe in Philly), five swords,,,but you get my point. Since reading this it kind of opened my eyes as I was guilty of the same thing. I now strive to fight like I train and it has been motivational. I feel more relaxed in the ring and more confident when coming up against someone who is reputed to be great, tough, whatever.

Thanks

Talking about sparring and using techís in the mix I was talking to my instructor about that last night. We were working on a new drill (new to us anyway) we paired up pretty normal there. I was the puncher so I was to just throw a right straight/jab punch and my partner was just to parry it to the outside and small step to the inside. And we went round and round for a little bit as everyone in the class was doing the same.

Well then my instructor said switch and that went back and forth for a while the usual. Then Of course my instructor pulls me to the front and said ok now you punch, right punch and Iíll parry to the outside and step inside and after a few Iíll counter with a punch to the right side. (Same side I was punching with). Well he did and out of habit I dropped my elbow to cover my ribs. My instructor said he would not hit me so donít block. It wasnít that I was worried itís just an ingrained habit. Anyway after I was working with my partner for a little bit I asked my instructor if dropping my elbow was the best way to block in that situation.

Wow did I get my eyes opened last night, my block worked flawlessly I stopped his right punch perfect. But it didnít stop the flurry of techs from basic to some that I recognized from the phase 3 classes (red belts to 3rd Brown). Talk about a humbling experience. I thought I was doing all the good, but I was none the less very impressed with how easy it was for my instructor to move in and dominate with techniques.
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links