Thread: A question for Mr. LaBounty

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default A question for Mr. LaBounty

Mr. LaBounty,
    I know that you come from a much earlier generation of EPAK than I do. When I made the transition from an older Tracy model to Mr. Conatser, I was using the title Sensei. Mr. C instructed me to drop the title as per Infinite Insights. I did so, although it took my students a little longer to get used to it. My question for you sir is, why do you use the title Sigung?
    Please do not infer any disrespect here, just curiosity as one of my students asked me this and I did not have an answer for them.
    Respectfully,
    Mike Seigel
    Just because you do something one way, does not mean that everyone else does it that way, or that it is even the correct way.

Thanks

Smile Re: A question for Mr. LaBounty

Hi Sigung,

I just wanted to say thanks for sharing the stories you did at the Gathering.

The one about getting slapped up-side the head for your response was really a good insight to the working's going on at the time. Mentor and friend but your instructor first, is very true.

It is easy for us to forget the fine line that is there and will exist in the business we call martial arts. You are truly a Grand father/master in the Ken/mpoist circle.
    Regards, Gary

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Default Re: A question for Mr. LaBounty

Quote Originally Posted by Seig
    Mr. LaBounty,
    I know that you come from a much earlier generation of EPAK than I do. When I made the transition from an older Tracy model to Mr. Conatser, I was using the title Sensei. Mr. C instructed me to drop the title as per Infinite Insights. I did so, although it took my students a little longer to get used to it. My question for you sir is, why do you use the title Sigung?
    Please do not infer any disrespect here, just curiosity as one of my students asked me this and I did not have an answer for them.
    Respectfully,
    Mike Seigel
    :// Greetings Mr. Seig, and pardon the abbreviation. Your question is a fair one an one I don't mind answering. First of all, Mr. "C" is correct in instructing you in the protocols of addressing others. It is the way SGM Parker wanted it done, though he allowed some leeway in using the Asian terms.
    Sigung, older teacher, elder teacher, teacher of teachers, was given to me by my student in Texas Gary Swan, who was at the time studying with Buck Sam Kong in Choi Li Fut. I preferred "Sensei" at the time, which the SGM did not like, but Mr. Swan in an effort to delineate the higher structure that was beginning to appear wished a name that would be uniquely ours and not used by any other Karate, especially Kenpo group, that would be the equivalent of "Grandfather". The closest he came to (with Mr. Kong's influence I think) was that term.
    Contrary to what you may have heard, I DID NOT GIVE IT TO MYSELF, and do not introduce myself as such, that would be poor etiquette and just too arrogant. I've been called Sigung for so many years that many people have a hard time remembering my real name. It has become part of my persona I guess and I don't mind it really, I just want everyone to be clear what the lineage is, what the SGM wants his system to develop into, and that we live in the real martial world. How we get there and with who, what ever they are called, is most important. I DO believe that we need a structure, that is familial in nature and speaks to the identity of the system and it's history. Not to live there of course, but to acknowledge such a journey American Kenpo, or any martial art has taken over the last fifty or so years. You would be surprised as to how this "family" strengthens you in actual combat, at least it has me, and Mr. "C" as well.
    I'm giving you the abridged version of this which I hope will clarify it some. I'm glad you are seeking answers to questions that don't seem to fit or are contrary to what you are given to understand. That's why it's a journey...
    In spirit,
    S. LaBounty

4. The Following User Says Thank You to S. LaBounty For This Useful Post:

sifuroy (01-08-2008)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A Brewer
    Hi Sigung,

I just wanted to say thanks for sharing the stories you did at the Gathering.

The one about getting slapped up-side the head for your response was really a good insight to the working's going on at the time. Mentor and friend but your instructor first, is very true.

It is easy for us to forget the fine line that is there and will exist in the business we call martial arts. You are truly a Grand father/master in the Ken/mpoist circle.
    Regards, Gary
    Mr. Brewer: I am humbled by your kind words, and Hanshi had me looking for the exits with his kind introduction.
    You get it Mr. Brewer, you heard the most important part of the story. We need guides to move us along and guides that have walked over the ground we are trying to conquer.
    The rest of the story is that SGM Parker took me aside later hugged me said: "You'll never have it all, but always remember someone is watching you and may repeat what you do" To me, not having it all, is the real joy of the martial arts...that is why I said I never want to be a GrandMaster, just a struggling student.
    All the best to you and yours...
    In spirit,
    S.LaBounty

6. The Following User Says Thank You to S. LaBounty For This Useful Post:

sifuroy (01-08-2008)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Mr. LaBounty,

Thank you for your response. There will be more questions soon.

Respectfully
    Just because you do something one way, does not mean that everyone else does it that way, or that it is even the correct way.

themartiala is offline Banned
    Thanks

Default evening

Quote Originally Posted by Seig View Post
    Mr. LaBounty,
    Respectfully,
    Mike Seigel
    Good evening, I really get a lot from these forums. Good reading

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links