Thread: Who was Ed Parker in . . . 1957

Rich_Hale is offline A student of EP Kenpo
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Default Who was Ed Parker in . . . 1957

What would it have been like to meet Ed Parker in 1957?

Would he have been as impressive as, say, our modern-day superstars of the UFC? Or would he have been tame by comparison; little more than a glorified judo man with a karate chop?

For your reading pleasure I offer up to you a newspaper article written by Doug Mauldin and published in The Independent - Pasadena, California Monday, October 21, 1957

World-wide fame and acclaim have been accorded people like John L. Sullivan, Jack Dempsey, Rocky Marciano and Sugar Ray Robinson for their ability to flatten other superior physical specimens while armed with no more than padded fists.

Yet there lives in Pasadena a young man, how unarmed, could have conceivably taken on any two of hem at once an won.

His name is Ed Parker, and he’s one of the nation’s foremost exponents of the deadliest form of self-defense know to man, Kenpo Karate.

Parker, formerly from Hawaii, learned his Kenpo Karate in the islands. Some months ago he opened a studio at 1480 E. Walnut in Pasadena and has been doing a thriving business.

He hasn’t been advertising for fear of attracting a bad element. He relies on word of mouth to get his students and with this method he has to weed out an occasional potential troublemaker.

THE WEAPONS

The Kenpo Karate man employs the use of his fist, heel of the hand, finger-tips, feet, knees, forearms and elbows with frightening effectiveness.

After months, even years, of arduous training, his coordination and timing are such that in the space of a couple f seconds he can bring all of the aforementioned limbs into operation.

Aiming at pressure points, the Kenpo Karate expert can render an adversary senseless in seconds, can kill him with just a bit more effort.

It makes boxing seem like a sport for little girls. A judo man is a poor match.

Ed holds the Black Belt in judo, but that was just his grammer school diploma. Judo is to Kenpo Karate what walking is to running.

After a session with Parker, 15 rounds with Floyd Patterson would seem rather pleasant.

In fact we asked him just what would happen if he climbed in he ring with, say, Marciano or Dempsey at their peaks.

They’d have to land a knockout punch within the first couple of seconds or it would be all over,” he said as casually as one might talk of spanking an erring child. “The Kenpo Karate man just has too many weapons at his disposal. It wouldn’t even be a fair fight.”

In other words he could be labeled a bully for taking out after Marciano or Dempsey.

NO MATCH

For an unarmed man, regardless of size and condition, to take on a Kenpo Karate artist would be tantamount to wrestling the propeller of a large airplane. Three or four perfectly conditioned men would prolong the battle somewhat but the results would be the same. In fact a good Karate man can take on as many as seven.

Here’s an example of the high regard self-defense experts have for Ed and his Kenpo Karate.

There were several gyms in Southern California that taught what was billed as “The Foremost Art of Self-Defense.” Once you became proficient at judo, you could try this advanced course.

Out of curiosity, several of the instructors took in a demonstration of Kenpo Karate by Parker. It has now become a must for their GRADUATE students.

Although it varies with the individual, Parker feels a person can pick up enough in three months to protect himself against two men.

He is presently attempting to establish a state-wide Kenpo-Karate Assn. To be expanded later into a national organization.

Parker must also instill a commendable amount of courage in his students.

He reports some of them have been tardy paying their lesson bills.

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Rich_Hale For This Useful Post:

Black St1300 (05-24-2007),Brother John (05-24-2007),Celtic_Crippler (05-25-2007),Hunter (05-25-2007),jdinca (05-25-2007),John M. La Tourrette (05-24-2007),kenpo0324 (05-24-2007),kenpochrstn (05-25-2007),Kenpodoc (05-25-2007),kihon (06-04-2007),Martin Seck (05-25-2007),Mikael151 (05-24-2007),NickName99 (05-28-2007),parkerkarate (05-24-2007),Richard Finn (05-25-2007),Rob Broad (05-24-2007),Ronin Moose (05-25-2007),sifuroy (05-25-2007),T-Bo (05-24-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Default Re: Who was Ed Parker in . . . 1957

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Hale View Post
    What would it have been like to meet Ed Parker in 1957?
    Hi Rich,

That was a great marketing sales letter.

Thank you for posting it.

Sincerely,
    Dr. John M. La Tourrette

AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Talking Re: Who was Ed Parker in . . . 1957

Quote Originally Posted by John M. La Tourrette View Post
    Hi Rich,

That was a great marketing sales letter.

Sincerely,
    Dr. John M. La Tourrette

John! What are you saying?

Do you think Mr. Parker managed, in some way, to get this "unbiased" reporter to write an article that in some way favored his friend in a financial manner?

Take care buddy - looking forward to getting up your way again.

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Who was Ed Parker in . . . 1957

Thanks for posting Mr. Hale!!!

Sidebar: If anyone has not checked out Mr. Hale's (electronic) kenpo journals THEY ARE AMAZING!!!!! They have been a great asset to my training.
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Question Re: Who was Ed Parker in . . . 1957

Regarding Mr.Hale's electronic journals. What is on them, tek/forms step by step breakdowns, etc.? What do they run in USD ? Thanks for the input.

1stJohn1:9

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kenpochrstn View Post
    Regarding Mr.Hale's electronic journals. What is on them, tek/forms step by step breakdowns, etc.? What do they run in USD ? Thanks for the input.

1stJohn1:9
    The short answer is, all sorts of great stuff.

Rather than rehashing it all, here is a link to a thread talking about this fantastic resource.

Kenpo Journal

Or if you don't want to read all of that, here is a link to Mr. Hale's Kenpo Journal site:

http://www.kenpojournal.com/

As I have said before, I highly recommend this resource. I have built up a fairly good library, and this is usually my first stop when I have questions or want to get some guidance into thinking in different directions about some of the things I'm learning.

Troy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

John! What are you saying?

Do you think Mr. Parker managed, in some way, to get this "unbiased" reporter to write an article that in some way favored his friend in a financial manner?
    I do it all the time.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

I dont get it.. what are you trying to say or what are you trying to point out by this letter/article?

AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Warren044 View Post
    I dont get it.. what are you trying to say or what are you trying to point out by this letter/article?
    What is to get? This is simply a newspaper article written in 1957 about Mr. Parker.

It's a brief look into the past.

I have a collection of over a 120 magazines that feature or mention Mr. Parker as well as a collection of about 60 old newspaper articles that do the same thing.

I just thought there may be others out there who would to take a quick qlimps into the past. So I posted one of the rearly newspaper articles.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rich_Hale For This Useful Post:

Celtic_Crippler (05-29-2007),Dr. Dave in da house (05-30-2007),John M. La Tourrette (05-29-2007)

Thanks

Got any articles about Professor Chow in that stack?
    Last edited by Dianhsuhe; 05-28-2007 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Inflammatory
    The above is just my opinion.

AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dianhsuhe View Post
    Got any articles about Professor Chow in that stack?
    James,

I haven't worked at purchasing magazines that feature Professor Chow, but some of the Ed Parker articles do mention him.

As a peek into a future version of the Kenpo Journal - it will contain no less than 300 to 400 quotes from Ed Parker, extracted from these magazines and newspaper articles.

The subjects covered will include Professor Chow and just about anything else you can think of, or should I say that Mr. Parker could think of.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rich_Hale For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dave in da house (05-30-2007),John M. La Tourrette (05-29-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

James,

I haven't worked at purchasing magazines that feature Professor Chow, but some of the Ed Parker articles do mention him.

As a peek into a future version of the Kenpo Journal - it will contain no less than 300 to 400 quotes from Ed Parker, extracted from these magazines and newspaper articles.

The subjects covered will include Professor Chow and just about anything else you can think of, or should I say that Mr. Parker could think of.
    I really appreciate you doing the research and task building that you are doing.

Thank you.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Thanks
    Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,427 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John M. La Tourrette View Post
    I really appreciate you doing the research and task building that you are doing.

Thank you.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette
    I second that, Rich. I'm sure you already know it, but you're building a legacy piece both technically in the journal, and historically about Mr. Parker with the pics and quotes. When we've all gone the way of the dinosaurs, there will still be this rare and awesome compilation of kenpo memorabilia for future generations of kenpo students; they'll fight for it on e-bay, bootleg it for their friends, and someone, somewhere, will know more about the man who crafted the art that so influenced our lives.

James will be grayed on the temples, gut sticking out over a pair of double bars, and some east coast kenpo student will ask him what Mr. Parkers thoughts were on some particular topic. He reaches for The Journal...

I for one am extremely grateful.

D.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links