Thread: Minor/Major Moves

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Question Minor/Major Moves

In Mr. Parker's Infinite Insights series, there is a chapter about Minor & Major Moves. Do you think that there really are "minor" moves in Kenpo, or are they all "major"? And why/why not?
    The truly educated never graduate.
    "To understand the heart & mind of a person, look not at what they have already achieved, but what they aspire to do." -Kahlil Gibran

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Minor/Major Moves

I think minor and major are defined by the intent. Take Parting Wings for example:

The colored belt version major moves are the right palm heel, the left chop to the throat, and the right middle knuckle punch to the solar plexus. The minor moves would be the left eye rake prior to the palm heel, the grab and pull of the pec muscle after the palm heel, and the left claw down the front after the chop. (as it was taught to me).

In one situation the major moves would remain the same as they are, but should you feel more threatened, then the minor moves become just as important. Meaning you may or may not feel that the eye rake is necessary depending on the situation.

I think the minor moves are a sort of built in 'what if' left open to exploration.

Just my opinion and I could be wrong.

-Josh
    Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gin-Gin2
    In Mr. Parker's Infinite Insights series, there is a chapter about Minor & Major Moves. Do you think that there really are "minor" moves in Kenpo, or are they all "major"? And why/why not?
    I believe that there are minor and major moves, such as the moves in Triggered Salute.

Thanks

Minor moves typically do not cause immediate devastation to an opponent. Instead, they are used to set up major moves through the use of inserts, suffixes or prefixes.
    The example given of Parting Wings was a good one.

Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

So here's a question: In Destructive Twins, after you have broken the opponent's grab, there is a poke to the eyes before you grab their wrist, pull and punch to the floating ribs. Is the eye shot considered a minor move because it sets up the wrist grab by bringing the opponent's hand up?
    Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dubljay
    So here's a question: In Destructive Twins, after you have broken the opponent's grab, there is a poke to the eyes before you grab their wrist, pull and punch to the floating ribs. Is the eye shot considered a minor move because it sets up the wrist grab by bringing the opponent's hand up?
    If you ask me it is minor because you are using the rotation back for the punch. The punch is a major move.

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

its a minor move if the intent is to grab and pull his right arm,
    its a major move if after you connect no longer need to...

pete

Thanks
    Thanked 1,791 Times in 1,309 Posts

Minor moves are set ups and major moves are the knock out shots; so, all your blocks, eye whips, pokes and claws fall under minor move status because there intent is simply to stop an opponent from doing what he or she is doing, create fear, mental lock ups or what not, and major moves weather successfull or not are meant to injur, damage, or simply end your opponents ability to continue.
    Sean

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoChanger
    Minor moves are set ups and major moves are the knock out shots; so, all your blocks, eye whips, pokes and claws fall under minor move status because there intent is simply to stop an opponent from doing what he or she is doing, create fear, mental lock ups or what not, and major moves weather successfull or not are meant to injur, damage, or simply end your opponents ability to continue.
    Sean
    That is one way to look at it
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

Or so I was taught

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

I agree that a minor move is mostly a setup for the major but I minor move can also cause major damage or produce a knockout if use against vulnerable or “major” targets.

A 2 finger whip can produce a knock out if executed properly and done to the side of the neck right on the carotid .

The use of minors to setup majors is a good practice but not law. Remember 1st rule of kenpo is there are no rules.

Yours in Kenpo,
    Mike Guercio AKKI Westminster, MD

Thanks

well the techs themselves follow a minor, minor, major. sequence through out the array of lowerbelt techs, so it has really already been placed there for you. If you break a guys arm on the first move of delayed sword and he drops and dies of shock. It was still a minor move.
    Sean

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links