Thread: Modified Forward Bow..

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Modified Forward Bow..

Could someone explain in detail what the modified forward bow is as in alignment and so on?

Thank you...

Thanks

Default Re: Modified Forward Bow..

Boy. Could depend a lot on who you are talking to.

I was taught that there are two kinds of forward bow- full and transitional.

The full forward bow is hips squared, trailing leg sraight, body squared to the target. Heel of the trailing leg is solidly down and the leg straight.

A transitional forward bow is like the full forward bow, except there is a slight bend in the knee and the heel is up just slightly.

The full bow has better stability and a better bracing angle. The transitional bow has more speed. It still has stability, and the ability to go to a full bow quickly if necessary.

Then there is the lunge stance used by the IKCA and others. This is somewhere between a close kneel and a forward bow. More bend in the knee of the trailing leg, and the heel is really well off the floor. It allows you to move much quicker and to spring off the bow into another stance, direction, or maneuver. Hips are still squared.

The full bow has the least reach with trailing hand strikes. The lunge has the most. But strikes off the full bow are more solid. I seem to recall an experiment here a while back where we found that the lunge strikes had more power than the same strikes from a transitional bow. Maybe I'll search that.

Hope this is a help. Like I said, you are really dealing with a lot of different terminology and different definitions with things like this, so it may not be what you were after.

Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedan For This Useful Post:

hemi (04-09-2007),Juggernaut (04-09-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Actually that is exactly what I was looking for...thanks Dan. That is kind of what I had formulated in my head as to what it was but definitely wasn't for sure.

I would like to see others desctriptions of what the modified bow is as well.

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

A modified forward bow can have different weight distribution and can vary in length, width, or height depending on the situation.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links