Thread: Epak Manuals..

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Epak Manuals..

Does for the most part everyone within the EPAK system use and teach from the same manuals that Mr. Parker created?

I know that some instructors don't teach the movements "strictly" by the book but generally is the same manuals in use?

Thanks

Default Re: Epak Manuals..

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
    Does for the most part everyone within the EPAK system use and teach from the same manuals that Mr. Parker created?

I know that some instructors don't teach the movements "strictly" by the book but generally is the same manuals in use?
    Not from what I've seen. Each association I've come in contact with has its' own methods, and its' own manuals. I don't think the IKCA even has manuals. They work off tapes.

Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Exactly. It varies slightly from school to school; I don't think anyone's teaching exactly what's in the original manuals. There are a few differences in some techniques in my school, as well as a bunch of added stuff that isn't in the original curriculum (remember, the EPAK requirements Parker laid down were "minimum" requirements.)

Besides, kenpo is supposed to be a living, breathing art, one that changes with the times. Parker's anti-boxing, anti-judo style worked back in the day, but in today's world MMA and grappling are becoming more popular, and the original EPAK isn't designed to deal with that. While I suppose a few instructors may still be teaching exactly what was in the manual, any instructor/organization that understands kenpo properly would have made changes to the original syllabus to keep kenpo effective in the modern world.
    Parker Kenpo Karate

Ray
    KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kihon View Post
    Besides, kenpo is supposed to be a living, breathing art, one that changes with the times. Parker's anti-boxing, anti-judo style worked back in the day, but in today's world MMA and grappling are becoming more popular, and the original EPAK isn't designed to deal with that. While I suppose a few instructors may still be teaching exactly what was in the manual, any instructor/organization that understands kenpo properly would have made changes to the original syllabus to keep kenpo effective in the modern world.
    The more often I have the chance to see a kenpo senior do and teach kenpo, the more impressive it is. Especially when I compare it to what I see us people further downstream from the source do.

It kind of reminds me of the movie Multiplicity.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links