Thread: I.k.k.o. Yellow Belt Terminology

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up I.k.k.o. Yellow Belt Terminology

YELLOW BELT TERMINOLOGY

ANGLE(S) OF ATTACK ‑ The eight major directions from which you or an opponent can attack or defend.

BASICS ‑ Simplified moves that comprise the fundamentals of Kenpo. They are divided into stances, maneuvers, blocks, strikes, specialized moves and methods, etc.

BLOCK(S) ‑ A defensive maneuver used to hinder or check an attack; all defensive moves employing physical contact to check, cushion, deflect, redirect, or stop an offensive move.

CHOP ‑ A cutting blow to an opponent or object, which generally employs the knife‑edge of the hand as the weapon.

CLASSICAL ‑ A term used to describe the so-called pure systems of Karate or Kung Fu. Many of the movements associated with these systems are not practical in our present environment, since their methods were created for the types of defense found prevalent during their particular time of history.

CLAWING ‑ Striking action, employing the fingertips to scratch or rip with. Such action may employ two or more fingers.

CLOCK PRINCIPLE ‑ A method used to help students visualize the direction in which they are to move. Students are generally asked to think of themselves as being in the middle of a big clock facing 12 o'clock, with 6 o'clock to their rear, 3 and 9 to their right and left, and all other numbers in their respective locations.

COMBAT ‑ Realistic fight, which excludes control and rules.

CORKSCREW PUNCH ‑ A torquing, twisting punch that strikes with the palm down.

DRAG ‑ The sliding of one foot toward the other while either moving

forward, backward, or to the side.

DRAG STEP ‑ The sliding of one foot forward, backward, or to the side before having the opposite foot step away from it. It is one of the four categorical methods of SHUFFLING.

EMBRYONIC BASICS ‑ Simple basic movements that are generally single in action and purpose. Although primitive in nature they form the basic roots of Kenpo.

FORM ‑ Is literally a short story of motion. It consists of basic movements of offense and defense incorporated into a dance‑like routine for purposes of exercising, training without a partner, or training at home. It is an index of movements that gives specific answers, as well as speculative interpretations to combat situations.

FREESTYLE ‑ A term used in Karate for sparring. As in boxing, it is a combination of offensive and defensive moves used extemporaneously. To state it differently, it is a combative method of freely expressing yourself physically.

GUARD ‑ Defensive positioning of the arms and legs in preparation for an attack. See FIGHTING POSITION.

HEEL/KNEE LINE ‑ Method of determining the proper depth of a neutral bow and arrow stance. Here, if you have proper depth to your stance, the heel of the forward foot should just touch the knee of the rear leg if you pivot forward on your toes and kneel.

KICK(S) ‑ Generally refers to method(s) used when striking with the foot. It also includes striking with the shin, calf, peroneus longus, knee, or other parts of the leg.

LOCK OUT ‑ It is a type of check that is used to briefly detain the action of your opponent. It involves striking a target with a natural weapon, and having the weapon remain on the target for a time before retrieving it.

MECHANICAL ‑ Refers to those whose movements are very staccato in execution and appearance. Sequence of movements which look as if it is being done by‑the‑numbers. Movements are robot‑like in appearance.

MOVE ‑ (1) A command used when teaching to cause a student to react during a particular exercise. (2) The traveling of any object from one point to another.

NATURAL WEAPONS ‑ The use of body parts as offensive weapons. This includes using parts of the hand, arm, foot, leg, head, etc.

OVER‑REACH ‑ To over‑extend oneself with a blow or kick needlessly, or to reach beyond or above a certain point unnecessarily. Target exposure is the result of such action.

PARRY ‑ Redirecting a blow or kick by riding or going with the force.

PIVOT ‑ Is the changing from one stance or position to another while in place. This is done without moving the foot from the spot it is.

POKE ‑ Refers to the thrusting of the tips or joints of the fingers to particular target areas on an opponent's body. The primary targets are the eyes.

PRACTICAL MOVES ‑ Realistic moves that are functional in combat. Moves that not only work during practice, but on the streets as well.

PUNCH ‑ Primarily refers to the methods used when striking with the front portion of the fist.

PUSH‑DRAG ‑ A type of SHUFFLE requiring your forward or rear leg to raise slightly before having the supporting leg push forward or back. The pushing leg must then drag toward the opposite leg so that the distance between them returns to its original depth. Once the original depth is re‑established you are ready to resume the next PUSH-DRAG SHUFFLE. This is just one of four methods of SHUFFLING.

SET ‑ An appendage to a FORM. See definition of a Form. This term is also

used by Western Chinese to describe a FORM.

SHUFFLE ‑ A foot maneuver used to close or increase the distance between you and your opponent. In Kenpo there are four methods that accomplish this; push‑drag, drag‑step, step‑drag, and pull‑drag. All four methods are categorized as foot maneuvers.

SNAP(PING) ‑ A method of execution requiring the natural weapon to strike out and back with a greater magnitude than the action of a WHIP. See WHIP.

SOPHISTICATED BASICS ‑ A single basic move that produces multiple results.

STEP-DRAG ‑ The stepping forward, or back, with one foot and the dragging of the other foot so that the distance between them returns to their original depth. This is another of the methods of shuffling.

STEP THROUGH ‑ The execution of full steps, by either moving forward or back. In the case of a step through kick, it means kicking with the forward foot and planting it to your rear, or kicking with the rear foot and planting it to your front.

STRIKE(S) ‑ Methods used to execute NATURAL WEAPONS. VITAL TARGETS can be punched, kicked, chopped, poked, hammered, etc.

SWITCH ‑ In place exchange of lead legs while facing the same direction. This is done by exchanging foot positions from one spot to another. Three alternatives can be used in making the exchange, (1) you can step back to front (2) step front to back, or (3) jump in place.

TARGETS ‑ VITAL AREAS on your or your opponent's body which can be injured or damaged when struck.

THRUST ‑ A particular method of execution used to propel a strike. It resembles an explosive push type action.

TOE/HEEL LINE‑ Method of determining the proper width of a NEUTRAL BOW AND ARROW STANCE, where the toe of the forward foot is in line with the heel of the rear foot.

TORQUE ‑ Twisting and rotating action used to position your body and muscles to work at maximum efficiency. See ROTATING FORCE.

VITAL AREAS ‑ The major weak points of the body.

WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION ‑ The apportionment of weight related to a particular stance. It may vary, fifty‑fifty, sixty‑forty, ninety‑ten, etc.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: I.k.k.o. Yellow Belt Terminology

I know this might not be the appropriate area to ask this, but...I'll give it a go anyway. I was hoping Mr. C. would ellaborate on some of the definitions that go along with ANGLES.
    See, all I've gotta do is get loose like I'm fluid, dude, Rollin' up my sleeves on my gi and get into it. You and who, him and them? Line up in a single file. One on one, all for one...end up in a bigger pile. The ambiance of Martial Arts is constant, Nunchucks chuckin' when I step in the mosh pit. Wing Chun dummy getting splintered apart, Escrima sticks whippin' and I'm chipping the bark. What are you? A pink belt? I'll give you a head start. Kumite killin', with the spirit of Ed Parker.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chronuss
    I know this might not be the appropriate area to ask this, but...I'll give it a go anyway. I was hoping Mr. C. would ellaborate on some of the definitions that go along with ANGLES.
    Make your question more specific and also ask it in the other forum.
    Just because you do something one way, does not mean that everyone else does it that way, or that it is even the correct way.

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt

AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Wink Re: I.k.k.o. Yellow Belt Terminology

Quote Originally Posted by Seig

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seig
    which one? the general or the Labounty one?
    See, all I've gotta do is get loose like I'm fluid, dude, Rollin' up my sleeves on my gi and get into it. You and who, him and them? Line up in a single file. One on one, all for one...end up in a bigger pile. The ambiance of Martial Arts is constant, Nunchucks chuckin' when I step in the mosh pit. Wing Chun dummy getting splintered apart, Escrima sticks whippin' and I'm chipping the bark. What are you? A pink belt? I'll give you a head start. Kumite killin', with the spirit of Ed Parker.

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

Um, Chad.... I believe he is talking about 1 specific forum on MT. I could be wrong but doubt it, at least this time.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfarnsworth
    Um, Chad.... I believe he is talking about 1 specific forum on MT. I could be wrong but doubt it, at least this time.
    No, You are not wrong.
    Just because you do something one way, does not mean that everyone else does it that way, or that it is even the correct way.

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt

AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: I.k.k.o. Yellow Belt Terminology

Quote Originally Posted by Chronuss
    I was hoping Mr. C. would elaborate on some of the definitions that go along with ANGLES.
    Angle of: most desired results
    Angle of: entry
    Angle of: departure
    Angle of: delivery
    Angle of: attack
    Angle of: alignment
    Angle of: cancellation
    Angle of: contact
    Angle of: deflection
    Angle of: desired positioning
    Angle of: deviation
    Angle of: disturbance
    Angle of: efficiency
    Angle of: execution
    Angle of: greatest movement
    Angle of: incidence
    Angle of: mobility
    Angle of: no return
    Angle of: return
    Angle of: obscurity
    Angle of: protection
    Angle of: ....
    * Why is there always time to do it over, when there is never time to do it right?
    * K
    -knowledge E-enriches N-nice P-people O-only
    * All I ask for is ... Measurable Progress in Reasonable Time .....
    * Time will either Promote you or Expose You!
    * There are two ways of spreading the light.... 1]. to be the candle or 2]. the mirror that reflects it!
    * It's not what you take with you when you go....... but rather what you leave behind!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links