Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excerpts from Parker's last interview

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,952 Times in 5,600 Posts

Default Excerpts from Parker's last interview

In 1990 Karate International Magazine conducted the last interview that Kenpo Grandmaster, Ed Parker gave. This magazine went defunct the year following Parker's untimely death. This should provide quite a bit of foder for discussion.

Question: Master Parker, some people have been saying that you never studied with James Mitose?

Parker: I never did study with Mitose, I saw him when I was 16 years old and he showed me nothing. chow on the other hand was impressive.

Question: James Mitose went to prison later, didn't he?

Parker: Yes he went to prison. As a matter of policy, he could not have taught his art to anyone. Therefore the people who claimed to have earned diplomas from him during his time are mistaken. Someone named Gollub, a Ju-Jitsu practitioner, when confronted about this, he said the certificate was for the spiritual side of the art, not the physical side, making the certificate worthless.

Question: It's my understanding that Mitose had quite an extensive prison record?

Parker: Yes he did. One of the prison guards who was in my association gave me his rap sheet. Mitose was arrested in 1935 for attempted rape and also for extortion. He was quite a con man. Mitose used to wear a minister's outfit all the time, but he wasn't a legitimate minister. In the early 70's when he was a guest in my home, Mitose tried to entice me into working with him. He talked about raising ten million dollars to build a Kenpo temple and he wanted me to run it. I told him that I didn't want any part of his schemes. They're now saying that they're going to come out with the true other half of the Kenpo story. I know the Kenpo story. I
    was a part of it.

Question: A lot of people would like to know how Seagal got started in films?

Parker: Seagal has an Aikido school. When I stopped teaching, Joe Hyams one of my students, went over to Seagal. Joe was the one who introduced Seagal to his wife Kelly LeBrock. Seagal was also teaching a guy by the name of Michael Ouitz, also a former student of mine. Michael is perhaps the single most powerful talent agent in the business. It was through his conversations with Michael that Seagal got into the business. Mike had a lot to do with Seagal's success. I've also heard that Seagal's getting two million dollars for his next film.

Question: Do you have much contact with Chuck Norris?
    Parker: We talk now and then. The last time that I talked with Chuck, he said that he was considering doing martial art films instead of action films.

Question: Are you still working with producer Blake Edwards?

Parker: Blake Edwards and I still talk. I've got a number of ideas that I've discussed with Blake.

Question: Is it true that you're producing a number of videotapes of your Kenpo system for the public?

Parker: I'm presently working on 50 Kenpo tapes. What I'm trying to do is have all styles and systems, listen to what I have to say. I'm not going to try to convert them to Kenpo people. What I'm trying to do with the tapes, is to make them think logically and then apply it to their own system. My son … is helping me produce (the) tapes. The tapes will be of a very sophisticated nature and we're taking a psychological approach to my instructional videos.

Question: It's well known that you're a good businessman. how did you develop your business sense?

Parker: I was in a very unique situation when I began teaching. I started teaching at the Beverly Wilshire Health Club. I had a lot of students who were Millionaires. While they paid me for lessons, I received free lessons in business from them. One producer in particular said to me; When you go into business there are two thing you have to remember; each having two parts. One, will it be easy to get into the business? If so, then will it be easy to get out? Two, you're going to have successes as well as failures? Most people will take the time to examine their failures. Give equal time to examine your success as well as failure. Then you might discover another 20-30 percent increase in your business. that's how I got smart in business. I learned from the best.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

Arizona Angel (03-03-2007),Billy Lear (03-03-2007),Brother John (03-03-2007),Carol (03-05-2007),Dr. Dave in da house (03-04-2007),execkenpo (03-03-2007),gixxershane (03-06-2007),GSteinUSA (03-07-2007),Kenpodoc (03-03-2007),Mikael151 (03-03-2007),profesormental (03-05-2007),ronin6 (03-05-2007),thedan (03-04-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,253 Times in 612 Posts

Default Re: Excerpts from Parker's last interview

Thank you for sharing that.

Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    www.trianglekenpo.com

"I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Thanks for sharing that Sir!!
    Where can we read the rest of it????

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Thanks for sharing that Sir!!
    Yours Truly
    Kenpo0324

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

I have this magazine in my shelves and always enjoy reading it. For some reason I have always loved the placement of some question marks.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

I liked reading that. I would love to read more of interviews with SGM Parker. Thanks for posting that.
    There is nothing so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength.
    Unquestionably man has his will - but woman has her way! - Bruce Lee

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Doc,
    Can I plagerize this one to another forum that you don't frequent. This is an interesting piece as SGM Parker seems to be quite blunt. In the video I've seen of him he comes across as more "pc" for lack of a better term. He's not talking about Mitose in those however.
    Thanks!
    CT
    ...but that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Dennis Miller

Thanks
    Thanked 3,587 Times in 2,193 Posts

Thanks for posting that. It confirms the stories I'd previously heard.

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chtavis View Post
    Doc,
    Can I plagerize this one to another forum that you don't frequent. This is an interesting piece as SGM Parker seems to be quite blunt. In the video I've seen of him he comes across as more "pc" for lack of a better term. He's not talking about Mitose in those however.
    Thanks!
    CT
    I don't own the words sir, and the magazine went under over a decade ago, so have it.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

www.MSUACF.com

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Thank you sir. Might want to lurk over where they hang people and see what they have to say.

Thanks again!
    CT
    ...but that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Dennis Miller

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chtavis View Post
    Thank you sir. Might want to lurk over where they hang people and see what they have to say.

Thanks again!
    CT
    Take someone with you for backup.

www.MSUACF.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    What I'm trying to do with the tapes, is to make them think logically and then apply it to their own system..
    Doc, thanks. This sounds like Mr. Parkers entire aproach to martial arts. It interests me, since I may have to make the switch to Taiji, and I have no interest in "Hippie Dancing." I intend to, as much as possible, do it as a martial art. I think my Kenpo training will help me work things out logically.

Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

Thanks

Any chance of getting the rest of this article posted. I especially love the the one comment Mr. Parker made about ..... Kenpo? Those who have read the article will know what I mean, and if we can get the rest of the article posted it will answer everyone's questions about what I found so ammusing.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,427 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    Any chance of getting the rest of this article posted. I especially love the the one comment Mr. Parker made about ..... Kenpo? Those who have read the article will know what I mean, and if we can get the rest of the article posted it will answer everyone's questions about what I found so ammusing.
    If you have it, re-type it and post it. I'd certainly enjoy the read. If you don't wanna, then xerox the thing and mail it to me...I'd be glad to put the time in.

D.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dave in da house View Post
    If you have it, re-type it and post it. I'd certainly enjoy the read. If you don't wanna, then xerox the thing and mail it to me...I'd be glad to put the time in.

D.
    After this article was first posted here, one of my students borrowed the magazine. I know I have seen the entire article online before. I will just have ot find it.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Broad For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dave in da house (03-04-2007)

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Thank you for sharing.
    "Fear is the true opiate of combat."

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

I got interested in this and did a search. I found the article on Bob Liedke's American Institute of Martial Arts site. Mr. Liedke was the author of the article and he has several other articles in his archives. It looks like there is some good reading in there.

As to this article, I can see why Doc left some of it out. Some folks might take exeption to some of it. But since so many people have asked, here is the link:

http://www.ctaikido.com/pix/article%...thEdParker.pdf

20. The Following User Says Thank You to T-Bo For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dave in da house (03-06-2007)

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bo View Post
    I got interested in this and did a search. I found the article on Bob Liedke's American Institute of Martial Arts site. Mr. Liedke was the author of the article and he has several other articles in his archives. It looks like there is some good reading in there.

As to this article, I can see why Doc left some of it out. Some folks might take exeption to some of it. But since so many people have asked, here is the link:

http://www.ctaikido.com/pix/article%...thEdParker.pdf
    For the record the original author of the article is John Corbett.

Just trying to keep the waters as calm as I can.

www.MSUACF.com

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    For the record the original author of the article is John Corbett.

Just trying to keep the waters as calm as I can.
    I can see how some of the comments would raise the hackles for some people. Interstingly my first kenpo teach used to tell us some of the same things. Good judgement on Doc's part in his editing.

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by execkenpo View Post
    I can see how some of the comments would raise the hackles for some people. Interstingly my first kenpo teach used to tell us some of the same things. Good judgement on Doc's part in his editing.
    Yeah, even though it was Mr. Parker. Some don't like things he had to say either.

www.MSUACF.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links