Thread: Ed Parker

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Question Ed Parker

In death Ed Parker has become a legend, bigger than life. His black belts first scrambled to fill the void in the system he created for them, by making themselves his successor. But American Kenpo is not just a system. It is the visible expression of Ed Parker’s philosophy, a philosophy that holds that correct principles replace style; a philosophy that allows the same move to be taught a myriad of ways with each way being the right way. Ed lamented, some three months before his death that he had awarded black belts, but none had earned his philosopher’s cloak. None had learned to think for himself. Few were innovative.
    When asked about some of his ideas which seemed absurd, Ed laughed and said he had purposefully taught and written absurdities as a test. But none of his new system students had ever questioned him. He wanted each student to prove or disprove every concept. He wanted them to think for themselves. And he most certainly did not want them to become the puppets they had become. Had his students understood Ed's principles, they would have discovered that the absurd concepts were little more than stumbling blocks put in the way to prove them, and catapults to launch them into thinking for themselves.
    Ed Often lamented that his students knew what to think, but they didn't know how to think, and only a rare few would ever fully understand the completeness of Ed Parker Kenpo. For this reason, Ed Parker did not create American Kenpo as a system, but as an idea, an idea that encompassed all of his teachings and styles, from his first students to his last. Some were a part and some were the whole of what he taught, but only those who continued to teach what he taught, the way he taught it either in the beginning or the end are american kenpo.
    The above is from http://www.americankenpo.com/dedication.html.

I was wondering how accurate this statement is. I couldn't find a source for any of it, and the linked website is pretty sparse. Is any of this true? And, aside from the accuracy of the quote, what do people think about these statements?

Just curious,
    MH
    Man has only those rights he can defend.

Thanks

Default Re: Ed Parker

The source of the writing is an article by Will Tracy. Complete text can be found at:

http://www.sanjosekenpo.com/origin_o...ican_kenpo.htm

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs down Re: Ed Parker

Well, in that case, never mind. I've seen enough of that type of ranting to see the utter lack of objectivity.

Thanks,
    MH
    Man has only those rights he can defend.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Good call MH!

Later

Your Bro.
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Thanks

I like a lot of what's in of the articles I've read on the Tracy website, and I think there's always something to learn from them--if not what the writers intended for you to learn. However, this problem with THAT one is that as always with this sort of stuff, it all really just boils down to, "Look how much I know, unlike all you dumb-bells."

And the other interesting thing is that they're really saying that unlike you guys who worry about being faithful to The Boss so much that you miss the point and become traditionalized, I've worried so much about being faithful to The Boss that I've traditionalized being opposed to traditionalizing...

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rmcr
    I like a lot of what's in of the articles I've read on the Tracy website, and I think there's always something to learn from them--if not what the writers intended for you to learn. However, this problem with THAT one is that as always with this sort of stuff, it all really just boils down to, "Look how much I know, unlike all you dumb-bells."

And the other interesting thing is that they're really saying that unlike you guys who worry about being faithful to The Boss so much that you miss the point and become traditionalized, I've worried so much about being faithful to The Boss that I've traditionalized being opposed to traditionalizing...
    You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't, eh Robert?

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Ya know, sometimes I forget that Robert is a professor of English/Literature. I bet we could have great fun reading his analyses of the Will Tracy ramblings; but, it's not really worth his time or ours.
    Just because you do something one way, does not mean that everyone else does it that way, or that it is even the correct way.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

problem with THAT one is that as always with this sort of stuff, it all really just boils down to, "Look how much I know, unlike all you dumb-bells."
    Agreed Robert. That's why I sort of looked at it as Malarky. Thing is though, there are several snipits from w/in the work that are things I'd heard from several different sources... but that in and of itself doesn't necessarily make it so huh? But: the best way to get errors across is to couch them in the mix w/known truths.
    they're really saying that unlike you guys who worry about being faithful to The Boss so much that you miss the point and become traditionalized, I've worried so much about being faithful to The Boss that I've traditionalized being opposed to traditionalizing
    I Really like the way you put that! The wording itself made me laugh.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links