Thread: Tatum Videos

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Tatum Videos

I have never seen any of Master Tatum's videos. Could someone enlighten me as to the quality of the information contained in his video series. I am refering mainly to his technique series.
    Does he cover principles? What-if's? What kind of detail does he go into?
    The only other Kenpo videos that I have to use as comparison are Tabatabai's and some of Lamkin's. Tabatabai doesn't go into much detail; although, he does cover the shell of the technique pretty well.
    What about his Kenpo Strikes series? Are the principles of motion covered? What kind of information should I be able to expect from Master Tatum's videos?
    How does the Acumulative Journal rate? I have my old IKKA journals and Lamkin's journals (which, by the way, Rock!) to use as comparison. Does the AJ more closely resemble the IKKA journals?

I know, too many questions. It is alot of money to spend, and I want to be certain it is worth it.
    I am some distance away from the nearest LTKKA instructor, so I would like to use the video method to supplement my training inbetween live instrution.
    Thanx in advance for beneficial answers.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Tatum Videos

I think I may have put this thread in the wrong location on this forum.

Sorry about that. Forgot I was on the lineage side of the forum.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

If you are looking for Mr. Tatum's videos in particular then you are in the right forum. I've had no experience with his videos, perhaps Mr. Seabrook could shed some light on the topic?
    Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

LOL! I wish that I would have seen your post before I sent the moderator a PM to let him know this thread probably needed to be moved! Thought that the lineage page was only for questions/comments reguarding lineage. Oh well. Hope to get some good answers anyway.

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Tatum Videos

In my opinion the Larry Tatum videos are top notch, I had the forms videos from his old panther series (GREAT for review) and he did the forms pretty much exactly the same as I had seen in other Parker Kenpo schools. I liked his technique videos even better. Some techniques were hard and fast, some he spent some time explaining things like environmental considerations, family groupings, and SOME what if. I was happy with them and the ones I bought were money well spent. If you have MT's videos (as I do) I personally think there is a big difference in quality and depth of understanding in the material and I would reccomend Larry Tatums tapes if you are studying the traditional 10/24 system of Parker Kenpo.
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Hey, thanks for the response, Hunter!

I appreciate the information! that's a great help.

Thanks

I have footage and videos of many different guys - Huk Planas, Larry Tatum, Mohammad Tabatabai, Lee Wedlake, Joe Palanzo, Frank Trejo, ect.

IMHO - Larry Tatum's videos are the best I have seen thus far. He moves like none other, and he makes advanced concpets and principles seem so simple. The quality of the production is great as well.

Hope that helps.

Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    I have footage and videos of many different guys - Huk Planas, Larry Tatum, Mohammad Tabatabai, Lee Wedlake, Joe Palanzo, Frank Trejo, ect.

IMHO - Larry Tatum's videos are the best I have seen thus far. He moves like none other, and he makes advanced concpets and principles seem so simple. The quality of the production is great as well.

Hope that helps.
    Thank you very much Mr. Seabrook! That's two very positive reviews for MT's video series. I will certainly have to pick the series up now!

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Has anyone besides Pete and I seen the new Tatum DVD "Engineer of Motion"? It is really well done and covers a lot of his seminar topics. It was filmed over several days in Chile (Mr. Tatum speaks english and has a super interpretor). I believe it is about 3-4 hours long (2 dvd's) and the cost is $39.95.

I also have the Brand new 4 hours of seminars covering extensions on order the cost is $79.95. A little pricey but, I can't wait to see it! I'll let you know what I think when it arrives.

Peace,

Donna

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpo Mama
    Has anyone besides Pete and I seen the new Tatum DVD "Engineer of Motion"? It is really well done and covers a lot of his seminar topics. It was filmed over several days in Chile (Mr. Tatum speaks english and has a super interpretor). I believe it is about 3-4 hours long (2 dvd's) and the cost is $39.95.

I also have the Brand new 4 hours of seminars covering extensions on order the cost is $79.95. A little pricey but, I can't wait to see it! I'll let you know what I think when it arrives.

Peace,

Donna
    I was curious about the 4 hours of seminars one. I wasn't very pleased with his 'Extreme Kenpo' dvd. That's not the same one, is it?

Do let us know about the seminars ones.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    I was curious about the 4 hours of seminars one. I wasn't very pleased with his 'Extreme Kenpo' dvd. That's not the same one, is it?

Do let us know about the seminars ones.

--Amy
    No, Amy the Engineer of Motion DVD is not the same as the Extreme Kenpo. I haven't seen the Extreme one. In the Engineer one he covers a lot of the techs he's been doing in his seminars (Triggered Salute, Lone Kimono, Twin Kimono, Shielding Hammer, Raking Mace, Wings of Silk, etc.) I'll be sure to post my review of the Extension DVD as soon as I look have it in my hot little hands (after viewing it of course!)

Peace,

Donna

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    I wasn't very pleased with his 'Extreme Kenpo' dvd. That's not the same one, is it?

--Amy
    Amy,

I have never seen the "Extreme Kenpo" DVD. I have a bunch of his videos and truly like them all so I am interested in knowing what you didn't like about it.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    Amy,

I have never seen the "Extreme Kenpo" DVD. I have a bunch of his videos and truly like them all so I am interested in knowing what you didn't like about it.
    I have most of the technique videos and all of his kata videos and I really like them too.

I just watched the Extreme Kenpo video and to me, it played more like a long commercial or a documentary about Tatum. I didn't watch the whole thing, but the part I did watch was not especially instructional.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

themartiala is offline Banned
    Thanks

Default Hi

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoEMT View Post
    I have never seen any of Master Tatum's videos. Could someone enlighten me as to the quality of the information contained in his video series. I am refering mainly to his technique series.
    The only other Kenpo videos that I have to use as comparison are Tabatabai's and some of Lamkin's. Tabatabai doesn't go into much detail; although, he does cover the shell of the technique pretty well.
    What about his Kenpo Strikes series? Are the principles of motion covered? What kind of information should I be able to expect from Master Tatum's videos?
    How does the Acumulative Journal rate? I have my old IKKA journals and Lamkin's journals (which, by the way, Rock!) to use as comparison. Does the AJ more closely resemble the IKKA journals?

I know, too many questions. It is alot of money to spend, and I want to be certain it is worth it.
    I am some distance away from the nearest LTKKA instructor, so I would like to use the video method to supplement my training inbetween live instrution.
    great issues here and I really get a lot from these forums

themartiala is offline Banned
    Thanks

Default Hi

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoEMT View Post

great issues here and I really get a lot from these forums

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links