Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43

Thread: Who was Mr Tatum's original instructor?

  1. #1
    CaptShady Guest

    Default Who was Mr Tatum's original instructor?

    Can anyone tell me who first started Mr Tatum on his journey in Ed Parker's Kenpo please? Can anyone tell me, who promoted Mr Tatum to first, second, third, and so on .. in the art in which he currently claims a 10th degree?

    I have no idea why, but this question has never been answered online to my knowledge, and has only been met with personal attacks and threats. Maybe this thread can finally be the end of it all?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    London, ON
    Posts
    1,601
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 209 Times in 134 Posts

    Cool Re: Who was Mr Tatum's original instructor?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptShady
    Can anyone tell me who first started Mr Tatum on his journey in Ed Parker's Kenpo please? Can anyone tell me, who promoted Mr Tatum to first, second, third, and so on .. in the art in which he currently claims a 10th degree?
    Kirk,

    I don't know the answer to that question, but I know sombody who would - Larry Tatum. Why don't you ask him?

    Why did you state, "he currently claims a 10th Degree"? Larry Tatum is so well respected by his peers, and for everything he has done in American Kenpo that you would be hard-pressed to find one person on the planet who feels he doesn't deserve a 10th. On a personal note, I have had the opportunity of training (some clearly more than others) with several of Kenpo's 10th Degrees, and IMO, I haven't seen any that moves or explains things as well as Mr. Tatum.

    More importantly than just his talent, Larry will go the extra mile to make sure you understand what he is teaching, and his confidence in AK is backed up by an attitude of humility.

    Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,270
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 113 Times in 95 Posts

    Default Re: Who was Mr Tatum's original instructor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    Kirk,

    I don't know the answer to that question, but I know sombody who would - Larry Tatum. Why don't you ask him?

    Why did you state, "he currently claims a 10th Degree"? Larry Tatum is so well respected by his peers, and for everything he has done in American Kenpo that you would be hard-pressed to find one person on the planet who feels he doesn't deserve a 10th. On a personal note, I have had the opportunity of training (some clearly more than others) with several of Kenpo's 10th Degrees, and IMO, I haven't seen any that moves or explains things as well as Mr. Tatum.

    More importantly than just his talent, Larry will go the extra mile to make sure you understand what he is teaching, and his confidence in AK is backed up by an attitude of humility.

    Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com
    Hey Mr. Joe can hit just as hard to and flow very nicely. I think all the 10th degrees out there deserve their degree.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    London, ON
    Posts
    1,601
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 209 Times in 134 Posts

    Default Re: Who was Mr Tatum's original instructor?

    I have nothing but positive things to say about Mr. Palanzo. He's a great guy, moves awesome, and has one heck of a sense of humor.

    I was merely defending Mr. Tatum, his rank, and his skill level.

    Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,270
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 113 Times in 95 Posts

    Default Re: Who was Mr Tatum's original instructor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    I have nothing but positive things to say about Mr. Palanzo. He's a great guy, moves awesome, and has one heck of a sense of humor.

    I was merely defending Mr. Tatum, his rank, and his skill level.

    Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

    O I know and I am backing you up 100%

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    London, ON
    Posts
    1,601
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 209 Times in 134 Posts

    Default Re: Who was Mr Tatum's original instructor?

    Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate
    I think all the 10th degrees out there deserve their degree.
    Really? Do you know how many 10th Degree black belts there are?

    Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,270
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 113 Times in 95 Posts

    Default Re: Who was Mr Tatum's original instructor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    Really? Do you know how many 10th Degree black belts there are?

    Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com
    Not really but I know they all deserve them

  8. #8
    CaptShady Guest

    Default Re: Who was Mr Tatum's original instructor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    Kirk,

    I don't know the answer to that question, but I know sombody who would - Larry Tatum. Why don't you ask him?
    Well 1, there are many a student of his that you'd think would have this info, instead of having to bother the man. 2, there's a lot of questions that have kind of set the precedent. Robertson insists on his questions being answered, yet can't answer these. Clyde's ask questions to be answered about Mr Mills .. instead of doing as you've suggested. I don't see what the harm is here. Shouldn't the man's students know this tiny bit of info about their instructor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    Why did you state, "he currently claims a 10th Degree"? Larry Tatum is so well respected by his peers, and for everything he has done in American Kenpo that you would be hard-pressed to find one person on the planet who feels he doesn't deserve a 10th.
    Whoa, whoa, whoa. I've never thought for one second that the man didn't deserve the rank he's wearing. I'd think if I'd have said that he's "wearing a 10th" others could have read false intent there as well. Hmm .. guess I should have said "earned". Noted.

    Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    On a personal note, I have had the opportunity of training (some clearly more than others) with several of Kenpo's 10th Degrees, and IMO, I haven't seen any that moves or explains things as well as Mr. Tatum.
    Who all have you seen? Have you seen Huk? Mr Mills? Sigung LaBounty? Just curious. I own a lot of Mr Tatum's tapes, and I agree that he explains things quite well, and moves AMAZINGLY! But I also felt the same of other seniors I've seen move. Different, yes. But still a site to see, that's for sure.

    Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    More importantly than just his talent, Larry will go the extra mile to make sure you understand what he is teaching, and his confidence in AK is backed up by an attitude of humility.
    I've spoken to him on the phone before, I agree. He's always come across as quite humble, and confident.

  9. #9
    0nslaught's Avatar
    0nslaught is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hudson, NH
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post

    Default Re: Who was Mr Tatum's original instructor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    Kirk,

    I don't know the answer to that question, but I know sombody who would - Larry Tatum. Why don't you ask him?

    Why did you state, "he currently claims a 10th Degree"? Larry Tatum is so well respected by his peers, and for everything he has done in American Kenpo that you would be hard-pressed to find one person on the planet who feels he doesn't deserve a 10th. On a personal note, I have had the opportunity of training (some clearly more than others) with several of Kenpo's 10th Degrees, and IMO, I haven't seen any that moves or explains things as well as Mr. Tatum.

    More importantly than just his talent, Larry will go the extra mile to make sure you understand what he is teaching, and his confidence in AK is backed up by an attitude of humility.

    Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com
    how about Mr. Planas?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    London, ON
    Posts
    1,601
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 209 Times in 134 Posts

    Default Re: Who was Mr Tatum's original instructor?

    Absolutely. Mr. Planas is awesome, and his knowledge is superb.

    I have had the pleasure of training with Mr. Planas on MANY occassions, and he is definitely an instructor's instructor.

    Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Wichita, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    2,467
    Thanks
    2,019
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

    Default Re: Who was Mr Tatum's original instructor?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptShady
    Can anyone tell me who first started Mr Tatum on his journey in Ed Parker's Kenpo please??
    This seems to be the most simple and straightforward of questions, why is it difficult to find the answer? It doesn't make sense. Isn't there some record of it somewhere? I've not read his section in "The Journey" but doesn't it say in there whom his first Kenpo instructor(s) was??

    hmm

    Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    London, ON
    Posts
    1,601
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 209 Times in 134 Posts

    Default Re: Who was Mr Tatum's original instructor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brother John
    This seems to be the most simple and straightforward of questions, why is it difficult to find the answer? It doesn't make sense. Isn't there some record of it somewhere? I've not read his section in "The Journey" but doesn't it say in there whom his first Kenpo instructor(s) was??

    hmm

    Your Brother
    John
    Have you ever asked him? If not, how come?

    Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Wichita, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    2,467
    Thanks
    2,019
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

    Default Re: Who was Mr Tatum's original instructor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    Have you ever asked him? If not, how come?

    Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com
    nah... I've not asked him. Reason, it just doesn't matter that much to me. It's really just a curiousity, I was just reading through and realized that it never before dawned on me to ask this question....and then I thought it was especially strange that such a simple question couldn't be answered.

    I mean nothing more than what I'm saying. Just thought it was odd. But I really don't care enough to call. Like I said: it just doesn't affect me.

    Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Riverside CA
    Posts
    38
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: Who was Mr Tatum's original instructor?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptShady
    Can anyone tell me who first started Mr Tatum on his journey in Ed Parker's Kenpo please? Can anyone tell me, who promoted Mr Tatum to first, second, third, and so on .. in the art in which he currently claims a 10th degree?

    I have no idea why, but this question has never been answered online to my knowledge, and has only been met with personal attacks and threats. Maybe this thread can finally be the end of it all?
    Kirk, you are a BLUE BELT, questioning the rank of the only person ever named by Mr. Parker in print as a KEY PROTEGE, and that was in 1979. Do you really have any idea what you're talking about? If you've heard something different from what I know, please explain, I'll be happy to listen to YOUR alternative theories as to the name/s of the people that did train Larry. To my knowledge, and Larry's for that matter, it was Ed Parker.

    Clyde

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Riverside CA
    Posts
    38
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: Who was Mr Tatum's original instructor?

    Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate
    Not really but I know they all deserve them
    And what would make you think that?


    Have a great Kenpo day

    Clyde

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Wichita, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    2,467
    Thanks
    2,019
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

    Default Re: Who was Mr Tatum's original instructor?

    Quote Originally Posted by kenpoprofessor
    To my knowledge, and Larry's for that matter, it was Ed Parker.

    Clyde
    Wouldn't it have been simpler and a bit more mature to just say this....and leave out all the other?
    I didn't think it was an evil question.
    Thank you for giving an answer.

    Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

  17. #17
    CaptShady Guest

    Default Re: Who was Mr Tatum's original instructor?

    Quote Originally Posted by kenpoprofessor
    If you've heard something different from what I know, please explain, I'll be happy to listen to YOUR alternative theories as to the name/s of the people that did train Larry.
    So from white .. each belt up to first black .. Mr Tatum's instructor was Ed Parker? I don't have a "theory", I'm just asking a question.

    In addition, now I'm forced to ask at what rank in your organization it's okay to ask questions?

    I have another, if that's okay? How come you're so quick to ask derogatory questions about Mr Mills, yet Mr Tatum questions aren't allowed in your book? I remember a million times people asking (quite peacefully) about the details of Mr Tatum's being kicked out of the IKKA. How come you claim to seek the truth in kenpo, yet most questions about Mr Tatum isn't answered? I can quote the post where I feel you were derogatory, if you'd like. I'm not trying to stir up anything, but you have to admit to a level of fairness, don't you?

    So again .. who promoted Mr Tatum through the ranks? I heard that Mr Parker wasn't teaching full time when Mr Tatum signed on. If that's not true, I apologize, I'm just trying to get my history straight here.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    119
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default Re: Who was Mr Tatum's original instructor?

    Innocent question, my foot. What was going on in the AKKI thread at the exact time that question got asked?

    Oh--before anybody asks, I been lucky with my teachers.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Riverside CA
    Posts
    38
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: Who was Mr Tatum's original instructor?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptShady
    So from white .. each belt up to first black .. Mr Tatum's instructor was Ed Parker? I don't have a "theory", I'm just asking a question.

    In addition, now I'm forced to ask at what rank in your organization it's okay to ask questions?

    I have another, if that's okay? How come you're so quick to ask derogatory questions about Mr Mills, yet Mr Tatum questions aren't allowed in your book? I remember a million times people asking (quite peacefully) about the details of Mr Tatum's being kicked out of the IKKA. How come you claim to seek the truth in kenpo, yet most questions about Mr Tatum isn't answered? I can quote the post where I feel you were derogatory, if you'd like. I'm not trying to stir up anything, but you have to admit to a level of fairness, don't you?

    So again .. who promoted Mr Tatum through the ranks? I heard that Mr Parker wasn't teaching full time when Mr Tatum signed on. If that's not true, I apologize, I'm just trying to get my history straight here.
    Hmm, Ed Parker, don't know who you're talking to that said he wasn't teaching at the time. Once again, Ed Parker is the answer to your question.

    Show me how asking questions about the time (more precisely, how many hours per year) Mr. Mills spent with Parker being 738 miles away is being derogatory, PLEASE. In bad taste for those in the akki maybe, but certainly couldn't be construed as derogatory in any sense by normal folk.

    People can ask questions at any rank, you just get the brush off because you're you LOL

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    119
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default Re: Who was Mr Tatum's original instructor?

    I'd fussbudget over who MY instructor was. And I'd wonder why they hadn't taught me a little clarity.

    Sorry--I write more, but I get to mess hall before last of the moldy pumpkin soup gone. Tomorrow, we have to chop down all the pine trees in Omsk.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Search tags for this page (caching method: memcache)

huck planas leave ikka
,
larry tatum kicked out ikka
,
lary tatum ikka
,
when did larry tatum receive 10th degree
,

why was larry tatum asked to leave the ikka

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.