Thread: Basics - Body Position

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Basics - Body Position

The importance of your body position and how to effect that of your opponents is vital in the development of self defense techniques.

First the body position can be altered in three ways. As we live in a three dimensional world our body has three diminsions that effect it, the height, width, and depth.

The height of your body is pretty self explanatory. It is effected by the knees and the waist. Your height changes depending on these body parts.

Width of your body is determined by the toe heel line of your neutral bow. The feet should be parralel at a forty-five degree angle to your toe heel line. This clears the path for your rear hand and leg, while trying to minimize the available targets to your opponent. The width also effects stability and mobility. Too wide of a stance generate great stability but limits mobility. Too narrow of a stance (aka tight rope walking) increases mobility but decreases stability.

Depth is determined by the measure of your knee heel distance. In a neutral bow drop your back knee to the ground. Your knee should come even with the heel of your lead foot. Your stance is too deep if your knee does not reach the heel of your lead foot (common of people who favor kicks). Your stance is too shallow if your knee comes past your lead heel.

These zones do not only apply to your body but your opponents body as well. Any thing you can do to change your opponents height, width, or depth will benifit you because you effect their mobility and stability. For example, whould you force your opponent to bend at the waist (break their waist) you compromise their height zone, this will limit their stability by putting their center of gravity beyond the width of their stance, often this will also neglect their mobility as they fight to maintain their ballance.
    Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Basics - Body Position

It helps me to think of controlling these three zones in this simplistic way:

Height - up and down
    Depth - forward and backward
    Width - side to side

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

and then you've got obscurity and sanctuary.
    See, all I've gotta do is get loose like I'm fluid, dude, Rollin' up my sleeves on my gi and get into it. You and who, him and them? Line up in a single file. One on one, all for one...end up in a bigger pile. The ambiance of Martial Arts is constant, Nunchucks chuckin' when I step in the mosh pit. Wing Chun dummy getting splintered apart, Escrima sticks whippin' and I'm chipping the bark. What are you? A pink belt? I'll give you a head start. Kumite killin', with the spirit of Ed Parker.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chronuss
    and then you've got obscurity and sanctuary.
    *Scratches head* ya lost me... care to elaborate?
    Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

the zone of obscurity starts exactly past the point of peripheral vision, so basically blind spots, and it is on you as well as an opponent.

now...the zone of sanctuary...is broadly defined as an area of dead space that offers protection...and quite honestly...maybe one of the higher ups would care to ellaborate even more on that one.
    See, all I've gotta do is get loose like I'm fluid, dude, Rollin' up my sleeves on my gi and get into it. You and who, him and them? Line up in a single file. One on one, all for one...end up in a bigger pile. The ambiance of Martial Arts is constant, Nunchucks chuckin' when I step in the mosh pit. Wing Chun dummy getting splintered apart, Escrima sticks whippin' and I'm chipping the bark. What are you? A pink belt? I'll give you a head start. Kumite killin', with the spirit of Ed Parker.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,152 Times in 653 Posts

Don't know if I qualify as a 'higher up', and explanation will perhaps not be the most accurate but ...

Zone of Sanctuary ... Think of 'Checking the Storm'. The initial move is to the Zone of Sanctuary ... that step drag reverse in to the 4:30 corner puts your body in the 'Zone'.

If you picture the Universal pattern inside a square on the floor, you would start the Technique from the center of the Universal Patter, the Zone of Sactuary is outside the circle but inside the square, at the corners. This area should put you outside the arc of a swinging weapon (fist, club, etc).

Hope that helps.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Ah I see now, thank you very much. Simply moving insidie the range or out of range of weapons (natural or otherwise)

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by michaeledward
    If you picture the Universal pattern inside a square on the floor, you would start the Technique from the center of the Universal Patter, the Zone of Sactuary is outside the circle but inside the square, at the corners. This area should put you outside the arc of a swinging weapon (fist, club, etc).
    aha...we use to have a massive masking tape rendition of the Universal Pattern on the floor. it was very much helpful to work techniques and see just exactly where one was stepping incorrectly, to wide, to short, to long, or just not stepping.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 798 Posts

This thread was started almost a year ago, and could defitiely be useful to many people on the site.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

almost all of the threads were started nearly a year ago...no one's questioned anything or made any statements.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links