Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Basics - Foot Maneuvers

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Basics - Foot Maneuvers

I find myself using a pull drag motion when performing Unfurling Crane on the movement forward to deliver the inverted downward hammerfist to the groin. Not saying that the motion is correct but it does allow me to close the gap and plant my rear foot before kicking the knee.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to woodyfish For This Useful Post:

KenpoChanger (08-08-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,333 Times in 839 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoChanger View Post
    Oh, and then there is kicking something and using the stability or semi-stability of that to move ourselves off the line of attack, but I don't think you are pull dragging any more, you are parkouring. Ha Ha
    I believe "Pull" is simply the momentum from a maneuver, or basic forcing your center of gravity to move outside of your base, past the point of no return, causing you to re-establish your base. This is done many times by dragging, or moving a part of your base towards your center of gravity.
    A good teacher is a master of simplification and an enemy of simplism. ~ Louis A. Berman

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastkenpoist View Post
    I believe "Pull" is simply the momentum from a maneuver, or basic forcing your center of gravity to move outside of your base, past the point of no return, causing you to re-establish your base. This is done many times by dragging, or moving a part of your base towards your center of gravity.
    Since you are not moving a part of your base toward your body, I suppose this is more of a launch or lunge... or Pullunge LOL
    Also Mastering Tsing Tao.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 666 Posts

This response is the closest to my understanding of a pull drag. As I understand it, there must be momentum in the direction of the pull.

The puzzle I am facing, is how to generate forward momentum from a neutral bow, when executing front foot kick. Any thoughts?

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by michaeledward View Post
    This response is the closest to my understanding of a pull drag. As I understand it, there must be momentum in the direction of the pull.

The puzzle I am facing, is how to generate forward momentum from a neutral bow, when executing front foot kick. Any thoughts?
    Thinking about the question you have posed I beleive one must be committed to the kick which would have to be thrusting in nature. Unfortunately this action could be argued as being an over accentuated step drag and not a pull drag. Interesting question.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,924 Times in 2,211 Posts

Use a drag-step as a prelude to the kick, then, as woodyfish mentioned, use a thrusting kick, front or side.
    I think you can also do it with a rear leg kick from a neutral bow. The main thing seems to be that your momentum "pulls" your body and supporting foot forward thowards the target.
    "To be, rather than to seem"

"Fix your rear foot ... What the hell is wrong with you?"

"...I already watched the videos, and quite frankly, they're bullsh*t."

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Richwood, Ohio, United States, 103740476331734, Richwood, Ohio
    Thanks

drag step with the rear foot before executing the kick.
    The most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when one will do. ~Thomas Jefferson
    If it takes a lot of words to say what you have in mind, give it more thought. ~Dennis Roth
    If you can't write your idea on the back of my calling card, you don't have a clear idea. ~David Belasco

Bill Davenport

9. The Following User Says Thank You to punkmonkey For This Useful Post:

MarkC (08-08-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoChanger View Post
    Since you are not moving a part of your base toward your body, I suppose this is more of a launch or lunge... or Pullunge LOL
    So the base you left hanging, assuming a pull frag roundhouse for example, sits back there where you left it at the beggining? Then no no drag involved.
    A good teacher is a master of simplification and an enemy of simplism. ~ Louis A. Berman

Thanks

You generate momentum initially with a drop in height.

Thanks

You generate momentum initially with a drop in height.
    I think we call that "Falling".

Lifting the front foot does create forward motion, but can it be enough forward motion to generate enough momentum to drag the (not quite) supporting leg?

Even with the front foot thrusting forward. I'm just having a difficult time getting there.

In the instruction I received, the rear foot, when dragged forward, ends up pointing toward 6:00 o'clock. (This too, is a position we work hard to avoid. So, the resulting stance was also a challenge for me. It's a bad habit where I come from).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by punkmonkey View Post
    That would be a "drag step". I'm good with that. Makes perfect sense to me.

In the lesson, this creates a readable "beat" from which an opponent can read the incoming attack. Thus, it was to be avoided.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,924 Times in 2,211 Posts

You "cover" the readable beat, as you call it, with a straight lead punch or backfist, or some other "lead technique" which puts something between your centerline and your adversary's.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkC For This Useful Post:

KenpoGhost (08-09-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 552 Posts

What are your thoughts regarding the name "leap of death" ,taking the definition of a leap from page 1 into consideration?
    殺意の忍者猿コーディング
    "Using big words and obscure terms to make yourself sound like you know what you're talking about is typical, until you have to actually explain." - "Doc" Chapél
    "A belt only covers two inches of your ass and the rest you need to back up on your own." - Royce Gracie
    ‎"In Tai Chi, practitioners are classified as being either turtles or fish. A turtle swims by just using it limbs. A fish swims by using its whole body. Be a fish." - Lee Wedlake, "Kenpo 301"

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,861 Times in 5,545 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Use a drag-step as a prelude to the kick, then, as woodyfish mentioned, use a thrusting kick, front or side.
    I think you can also do it with a rear leg kick from a neutral bow. The main thing seems to be that your momentum "pulls" your body and supporting foot forward thowards the target.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

MarkC (08-09-2013)

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Don't you mean "drag?" The "kick" is the step isn't it? A simple reminder that all "kicks" by definition are exaggerated "steps," and therefore are an integral part of basic footwork. "Drag-step forward" footwork, thus becomes a "drag" followed by the "kick" and placement of the foot completing the "step" process. Under most circumstances, this is true whether forward, or reverse, which can also be translated into lateral as well.
    Last edited by Doc; 08-09-2013 at 07:48 AM.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

www.MSUACF.com

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

jdinca (08-09-2013),KenpoChanger (08-09-2013),MarkC (08-09-2013),punkmonkey (08-09-2013)

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Richwood, Ohio, United States, 103740476331734, Richwood, Ohio
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Don't you mean "drag?" The "kick" is the step isn't it? A simple reminder that all "kicks" by definition are exaggerated "steps," and therefore are an integral part of basic footwork. "Drag-step forward" footwork, thus becomes a "drag" followed by the "kick" and placement of the foot completing the "step" process. Under most circumstances, this is true whether forward, or reverse, which can also be translated into lateral as well.
    I'm a little leery of just saying "drag" because it sounds like the foot never leaves the ground. You know that I know that you know what I mean but I'm not 100% sure of the general audience. huminahuminahumina.
    The most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when one will do. ~Thomas Jefferson
    If it takes a lot of words to say what you have in mind, give it more thought. ~Dennis Roth
    If you can't write your idea on the back of my calling card, you don't have a clear idea. ~David Belasco

Bill Davenport

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to punkmonkey For This Useful Post:

Doc (08-10-2013),jdinca (08-10-2013),MarkC (08-09-2013)

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

I'm a little leery of just saying "drag" because it sounds like the foot never leaves the ground. You know that I know that you know what I mean but I'm not 100% sure of the general audience. huminahuminahumina.
    This is a Kenpo Forum and I have to assume that they understand. If they do not, then they should ask a question, because that's what bright people who want to be brighter do. if they choose not to .... "Ego is the anesthesia of ignorance." - Ed Parker Sr.

www.MSUACF.com

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

jdinca (08-10-2013),MarkC (08-10-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,069 Posts

Sometimes I catch myself saying "drag step". Which is not such a sin if I am only talking about the type of step known as a "drag", as in "when you execute the drag step, move your foot like this...". Not so bad. But when describing a footwork sequence, it's a critical error...

But all this talk of drag ...
    -David C
    http://www.kungfubooksonline.com

"...while you guys are arguing, I'm on the grind."
    - an anonymous brick puncher

"If you don't ask the right questions, I can't give you the answers, and if you don't know the right question to ask, you're not ready for the answers"
    -Ed Parker Sr.

"For many a 'system' is just a bunch of techniques. It should be much, much more than that..."
    - Doc Chapel

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DavidCC View Post
    Sometimes I catch myself saying "drag step". Which is not such a sin if I am only talking about the type of step known as a "drag", as in "when you execute the drag step, move your foot like this...". Not so bad. But when describing a footwork sequence, it's a critical error...
    "General information always yields general results." Would you be as casual in math, architecture, or music, and expect and exacting results? Two plus three equals.. , well you know what I mean. Isn't that how a lot of the fabulous information you get got lost in the first place. That's OK, generally you got it right, and the guy is only generally trying to kill you.

www.MSUACF.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    "General information always yields general results." Would you be as casual in math, architecture, or music, and expect and exacting results? Two plus three equals.. , well you know what I mean. Isn't that how a lot of the fabulous information you get got lost in the first place. That's OK, generally you got it right, and the guy is only generally trying to kill you.
    In basic music, architecture, math, sure.

But sophisticated music, architecture, math? No. No sir, that would not do.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links