KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Basics- Power Principles

The methods of generating power:

Marriage of Gravity
    Torque
    Back Up Mass

Do you feel that certain power principles are more applicable to certain attacks. For example: Marriage of Gravity is more suited to wrestling/grab attacks where Torque and Back Up Mass are better suited to strikes?
    Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

Thanks
    Thanked 1,152 Times in 653 Posts

Default Re: Basics- Power Principles

Is there a fourth, 'hidden', power principle in the system?

I am thinking I have heard this somewhere, but I can't recall. Maybe it was 'Borrowed Force'?

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by michaeledward
    Is there a fourth, 'hidden', power principle in the system?

I am thinking I have heard this somewhere, but I can't recall. Maybe it was 'Borrowed Force'?
    There are other methods of generating power however these methods are not considered the main methods of generating power. Borrowed force is simply back up mass on your opponents side working against them. Most often in techniques and application there is a combination of more than one of the three main power principles.
    Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

there's also Reverse Marriage of Gravity.
    See, all I've gotta do is get loose like I'm fluid, dude, Rollin' up my sleeves on my gi and get into it. You and who, him and them? Line up in a single file. One on one, all for one...end up in a bigger pile. The ambiance of Martial Arts is constant, Nunchucks chuckin' when I step in the mosh pit. Wing Chun dummy getting splintered apart, Escrima sticks whippin' and I'm chipping the bark. What are you? A pink belt? I'll give you a head start. Kumite killin', with the spirit of Ed Parker.

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chronuss
    Don't go there.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,152 Times in 653 Posts

Divorce of Gravity ?

Thanks

After thinking about it;

I triple dog dare you to take it up with the big man!

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfarnsworth
    After thinking about it;

I triple dog dare you to take it up with the big man!
    you must be outta your mind...I have already been schooled many times by him...

I know just enough about it to get me in trouble.
    See, all I've gotta do is get loose like I'm fluid, dude, Rollin' up my sleeves on my gi and get into it. You and who, him and them? Line up in a single file. One on one, all for one...end up in a bigger pile. The ambiance of Martial Arts is constant, Nunchucks chuckin' when I step in the mosh pit. Wing Chun dummy getting splintered apart, Escrima sticks whippin' and I'm chipping the bark. What are you? A pink belt? I'll give you a head start. Kumite killin', with the spirit of Ed Parker.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,308 Posts

Using your opponents marriage of gravity is called borrowed force and the fourth power principle is called latteral momentum but now that I've told you I have too...

Sean

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoChanger
    Using your opponents marriage of gravity is called borrowed force and the fourth power principle is called latteral momentum but now that I've told you I have too...

Sean
    How is latteral momentum different than back up mass? Both would be traveling parrallel to the ground correct?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dubljay
    How is latteral momentum different than back up mass? Both would be traveling parrallel to the ground correct?
    What's the difference of back up mass traveling on a horizontal or a vertical plane? Or this latteral momentum?

Thanks

Although latteral momentum uses back up mass to err... gain momentum, I don't think there is a confusion on the difference is there? I mean when you see an Ice skater spin faster as she pulls her limbs closer she begins to spin faster. No body marvels at the use of back up mass.

Sean

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

I mean when you see an Ice skater spin faster as she pulls her limbs closer she begins to spin faster. No body marvels at the use of back up mass.

Sean
    No offense but I fail to see the connection

Thanks

Smile Re: Basics- Power Principles

No offense but I fail to see the connection
    I am not offended. I do however think you and I have a different understanding of latteral momentum.
    Sean

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Although latteral momentum uses back up mass to err... gain momentum, I don't think there is a confusion on the difference is there? I mean when you see an Ice skater spin faster as she pulls her limbs closer she begins to spin faster. No body marvels at the use of back up mass.

Sean
    wouldn't that be centripetal force?

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

After thinking about it;I triple dog dare you
    hopefully...I'll be corrected if this is insanely wrong...it took me a while think this answer through and write it the way I wished it to be...

Reverse Marriage of Gravity...this can be viewed in two ways...one could be while settling your base, a strike is moving upward, such as an obscure or rising elbow. one reinforces the stance, dropping weight and solidifying one's base, while striking upward either on a vertical or diagonal. another could be where one is borrowing force from an opponent to enhance a strike, such as where one may be buckling an opponent's knee or leg while striking. canceling an opponent's height could bring a targe, e.g., head, into range for a natural weapon such as a front knee kick to the face. so the second way is that we are using our opponent's weight to enhance our strike where as in Marriage of Gravity , we are using our own weight to solidify our base to enhance the strike.

Thanks

wouldn't that be centripetal force?
    Yes , but you increase your latteral momentum by using centrificle force.

Thanks

hopefully...I'll be corrected if this is insanely wrong...it took me a while think this answer through and write it the way I wished it to be...

Reverse Marriage of Gravity...this can be viewed in two ways...one could be while settling your base, a strike is moving upward, such as an obscure or rising elbow. one reinforces the stance, dropping weight and solidifying one's base, while striking upward either on a vertical or diagonal. another could be where one is borrowing force from an opponent to enhance a strike, such as where one may be buckling an opponent's knee or leg while striking. canceling an opponent's height could bring a targe, e.g., head, into range for a natural weapon such as a front knee kick to the face. so the second way is that we are using our opponent's weight to enhance our strike where as in Marriage of Gravity , we are using our own weight to solidify our base to enhance the strike.
    Well I viewed techniques such as Unfurling Crane that had explosive power defying gravitational pull towards the ground to be similar to what you are saying. Except I took my thoughts to the Goldendragon. Do the same and see how you make it through the convesation. Actually I tried twice. I still lost.

zealous Kenpoist Guest

Do you feel that certain power principles are more applicable to certain attacks. For example: Marriage of Gravity is more suited to wrestling/grab attacks where Torque and Back Up Mass are better suited to strikes?
    I think that all of the principles for generating power should be used in unison, so that the end effect is greater than the sum of it's parts. This is regardless of what the circumstances are when you do it; striking, grappling, weapons...etc.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Well I viewed techniques such as Unfurling Crane that had explosive power defying gravitational pull towards the ground to be similar to what you are saying. Except I took my thoughts to the Goldendragon. Do the same and see how you make it through the convesation. Actually I tried twice. I still lost.
    ...I haven't tried.....yet....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links