Thread: Great Workouts

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

Default Great Workouts

So I was talking to a friend last night and I stated how I had not sparred in a while and I gassed fast. We talked about how sparring is a great cardio workout and he brought up an interesting point. He stated that surfing big sets is an even better workout because you can stop for a break in sparring, but the waves won't let you stop in surfing. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Default Re: Great Workouts

I’m in the same boat I get wore out pretty fast during sparing. I think I just stay too tense. Living in TX I have never been surfing, been to the coast several times but the waves are pretty small. I bet surfing would be a serious work out and it looks like fun. I’m just not big on being top water spinner bait for the big fish.
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

Thanks

Personally, I get the best work out doing something I truely enjoy. I don't like to run, so I give up before I get much benefit from it. Also, no motivation to run. Now, if it's riding horses, I could do that all day, because I am more focused on the event than my sore tired body. I get a great work out with Kenpo. I am gaining weight and loosing inches. That tells me it's working and I can start adding to it later as I need to. At least I am out there doing something! Surfing would not work too well for me because I have a huge fear of being in water over my head, and I panic. But, the theroy of having to finnish because the waves don't stop is very true. However, I think it can be over done too causeing your body harm. If you need to take a break, you should probably listen to your body and take a break.
    There is nothing so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength.
    Unquestionably man has his will - but woman has her way! - Bruce Lee

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Crain557...

Surfing is a great workout, but I seem to remember simlar opportunies for catching your breath, as you hang out waiting for the right set of breakers to roll in. While you wait, you're not doin' much more than watching the horizon and gently treading water.

As to the sparring and gassing? A while back, I instated a really heavy cardio conditioning workout as an option before the evening class. I figured that it'd be one or two guys and myself. Interestingly enough almost everyone opts to come in early before class and sweat. We'd been at this for a while and I was convincing myself I was probably in the best overall condition I'd been in for years. And as to sparring in the school....we tend in recent years to go in cycles, of having a group of really gung-ho bangers who wanna fight all the time, to periods of rare in-school fighting. Well, we'd been in one of those lulls in freestyling. I visited another school, cuz I was craving some good banging. I was slapped hard in the face to learn, that despite all the bigtime cardio I'd been doing, I gassed really fast in the ring and was suckin' air in no time. I think largely it is as Hemi stated. I think that I was not using my muscles efficiently and was too tense. (Cuz I had a reputation to live up to, and of course didn't wanna look like I hadn't been sparring) So was undoubtedly too tense. I went back to the school rather humbled, as I thought I was in great shape. I was....as far as push-ups and crunchers and kicks and punchesm etc...but not for fighting. So upon returning the the school I did what I should have been doing all along. I fought. It was astounding at how rapidly the fighting cardio came back, as I fell back into my fighting groove. I did round robin point matches, with the winner staying in and fighting through the whole class rotation. I still do the conditioning workout, but if you want to last longer fighting? There really is no subtitute for.....more fighting.

After having gotten back to where I didn't gas after a few good solid rounds in the ring....I went water skiing...which again used different muscles, in different ways than the fighting. Result ? I was tired and sore. Does this mean that water skiing is a better workout? Nope. It just used different muscles, in different ways...and again, I was fighting myself more than anything.

Once you get into the groove and quit fighting yourself and wasting unneccesary energy it all comes together. I think this is true of almost anything. If you want to get better at any given activity, then sport specific training is hard to beat, because that forces you to use the actual muscles, in the manner in which you need them to work, for those specific ends.

NEW and IMPROVED Non-Chunky Version!

[SIGPIC]http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo[/SIGPIC]

I only know enough, to understand how much I don't know

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

Great points everyone. I agree there is no better way to get in fighting shape then, well to fight. Sifu DangeRuss and Hemi, good points, I think I do get way to tense. I guess the more you do it the more relaxed you can become with it. I had some of the same thoughts about the surfing analogy. Arizona Angel, I agree Kenpo can be a great workout! I'm in better shape than I was when I started, but when you get the gear on and go it really seems to be a lot more intense.

Salute All

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Different types of endurance for different results. Runners have known this fact for a long time. Although cross training is a great way to break up the monotony of your specific training, there is no replacement for doing your sport at full speed to give you the most improvement.
    Loyal student of Sifu DangeRuss
    Sam Pai Kenpo

"Jeet Kune Do: it's just a name; don't fuss over it. There's no such thing as a style if you understand the roots of combat." -Bruce Lee

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links