Thread: Perspective after Mr Tatum's Visit

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default Perspective after Mr Tatum's Visit

This past weekend I invited Mr. Tatum in to Texas for some seminars. I did not participate, but merely walked around helping students and really got to WATCH Mr. Tatum. (This was a first for me, because when I bring him in, I want to spend as much time on the mat as I can. This just was not possible this time, mainly because my mat was full.)

I watched how he taught, moved and communicated this art we refer to as American Kenpo.

I have felt that he was a great teacher to me personally, during the time I have been lucky enough to learn from him.

This got me thinking...

I find it very interesting that in over twenty years in American Kenpo, as in life, our expectations change. They change in reference to what is going around us in our own lives.

It is so easy to see our seniors as "Superheros" or "Evil Villains", and forget they are people. People with feelings, families, aspirations and their own life problems. We block out sometimes, they too are trying to earn a living for their families and at the same time, trying to bring Kenpo to the lives of others.

We expect them to be there for us, sometimes even ahead of others when it is NOT our due.

We expect them to not make mistakes or have bad days. We expect them to not need encouragement from us, not to need us to show kindness and respect for their sometimes lifelong effort in this art.

So to Mr. Tatum, along with the many seniors who have taken Mr Parker's art and fashioned it with blood ,sweat and bruises, so that I can earn a living teaching it...... THANK YOU for Everything!
    "If at first you don't succeed, hit harder next time!"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Re: Perspective after Mr Tatum's Visit

Indeed. Thanks for the reminder.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Sounds like a great time. Next time he is that close I need to head up!
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Sounds like you hand a great time. You also made great points to show that we are all human dealing with our own issues, even if we are the Seniors, we're all still human...
    "Fear is the true opiate of combat."

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

We ALL had a great time. My school was decorated for our Holloween party later that evening. It was hands down the VERY BEST time my students have had with Mr. Tatum ever.

We worked on mainly three techniques...
    Gathering Clouds
    Prance of the Tiger
    Calming the Storm w/extension

It was about a 2 hr seminar.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Any video clips that you could share? Sounds like it was very very in depth with 3 techs in 2 hours.
    Loyal student of Sifu DangeRuss
    Sam Pai Kenpo

"Jeet Kune Do: it's just a name; don't fuss over it. There's no such thing as a style if you understand the roots of combat." -Bruce Lee

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Unfortunately not. Mr. Tatum doesn't really like video footage of most seminars. So at best we get unlimited pics. I sue wish my camera was high speed so that they would look like video.

Bill

Thanks

That is to bad but I can understand why.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Doesn't like video footage? Why would that be? I guess I don't understand. Unless he's afraid someone's going to make money off them and it's not him. If it were me and I were giving seminars, I would want to have video footage. Must be a business decision of some sort. Is anyone able to shed some light on this?
    Sam Pai Kenpo

"Jeet Kune Do: it's just a name; don't fuss over it. There's no such thing as a style if you understand the roots of combat." -Bruce Lee

Thanks

because with video editing you can be made to look good or bad and everyone has a bad day sometimes.

i saw some footage of mike pick on an off moment and someone posted it on the web ... they were not happy about it and it was promptly pulled down.

think of your worst moment on video and imagine if that was the one that was going around re: your skills.

ack!!!!

also could be a $$ thing but who knows ... paul mills does not let his material out either. i dont see allot of sl-4 stuff on the web also.

guarded secrets? who knows.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katsudo_karate View Post
    because with video editing you can be made to look good or bad and everyone has a bad day sometimes.

i saw some footage of mike pick on an off moment and someone posted it on the web ... they were not happy about it and it was promptly pulled down.

think of your worst moment on video and imagine if that was the one that was going around re: your skills.

ack!!!!

also could be a $$ thing but who knows ... paul mills does not let his material out either. i dont see allot of sl-4 stuff on the web also.

guarded secrets? who knows.
    I could see the whole having a bad day thing. It happens to everyone. And at his stature, he's running a business and needs to protect his image. And with all his footage that he already has documented, I imagine he feels he doesn't need any more? Yea, who knows...
    Sam Pai Kenpo

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Perspective after Mr Tatum's Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Zarnyk View Post
    I could see the whole having a bad day thing. It happens to everyone. And at his stature, he's running a business and needs to protect his image. And with all his footage that he already has documented, I imagine he feels he doesn't need any more? Yea, who knows...
    Zarnykins...

This is pretty common practice, amigo. If you are selling seminars, and making a living doing it, you don't really want a bunch of videos floating around, to be copied ad infinitum and spread far and wide, thus depriving you of the ability to sell more seminars. Very few folks really dig their seminars being taped. There is occaisionally the rare teacher, who will allow the host to tape the program for the host's personal use. Why buy the cow, if you can get the milk fer, free?

BTW...let's have a rousing round of applause for mr Zarnypotpie, who blasted through an incredibly strong test last night. This boy is beginning to get it, I do believe. Congrats to the newest Sam Pai ****CENSORED**** Belt. Proud to bestow the rank upon ye, I am.
    NEW and IMPROVED Non-Chunky Version!

[SIGPIC]http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo[/SIGPIC]

I only know enough, to understand how much I don't know

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

By the way...speaking of rank....why do I no longer merit one here? Does KenPope trump all other rank or what?
    NEW and IMPROVED Non-Chunky Version!

[SIGPIC]http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo[/SIGPIC]

I only know enough, to understand how much I don't know

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo

Thanks

Gratz on the promotion!

The last seminar I was at Jeff Speakman had someone recording the whole thing. Who knows maybe in the waiver I signed I allowed myself to be included in a video?

I do agree, this is why many of the guys doing this for a full time job don't let Panther or Century sell their new video tapes. If you want them you have to get them directly from the source.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katsudo_karate View Post
    Gratz on the promotion!

The last seminar I was at Jeff Speakman had someone recording the whole thing. Who knows maybe in the waiver I signed I allowed myself to be included in a video?

I do agree, this is why many of the guys doing this for a full time job don't let Panther or Century sell their new video tapes. If you want them you have to get them directly from the source.
    Thanks!

This is becoming clearer now. Thanks for the aded explanation.
    Sam Pai Kenpo

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links