Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EPAK a right handed art?

Thanks

Default EPAK a right handed art?

Well bare with me on this as it may be a silly question and it may have been asked before but. Since I have had problems with my right arm and have been forced to stop going to class for a week I have been looking at all the techs I 've learned up to this point. In the past I just do the moves and looked for what I could add on and keep in mind the way my instructor expects me to perform the moves in class. But like I said this week I have been forced to go very slow in doing the techs. I have also been looking to try and practice more on techs that work my left arm/ hand more and kind of lay off my right arm/ hand. Something that I seem to have missed up to this point I don’t know of any that can be done with out using my right arm.

Infact the bulk of what I learned up to this point the main body of the moves seem to be right handed. Some techs off the top of my head, and I am sure there are a lot more.

Shield and Hammer
    Five swords
    Raining claw
    Destructive twins
    Twin Kimono
    Wings of Silk
    Delayed sword – can be either but mostly right handed
    Obstructing the storm
    Defying the Storm
    Grasp of Death
    Begging hands
    Captured Twigs

Being right handed I never really gave it much thought but I would think a left handed person would have a much harder time with Kenpo. Always having to initiate a tech with your weak side wouldn’t that make doing a lot of the moves much more difficult or not as strong?

Would love to hear your comments this is just something I was thinking about and well more of a curiosity than anything
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

Thanks
    Thanked 3,139 Times in 1,484 Posts

Default Re: EPAK a right handed art?

It is my understanding that the art is designed to be "right-handed".

There are those who will argue with me about this, but it is my personal position that all techs should be done on both sides.
    Michael

de gustibus non disputante est.
    Negative Douche Bag Number One

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

I have been told on many different occasions by many different people that American Kenpo is indeed a "right handed" art. I've heard various reasons for this, but the most common is simply that most people are right handed. I know that since joining the IKCA I have been encouraged to practice techniques on both sides, but there are opponentes as well as proponents to that philosophy as well.

This might be a good question to post to one of the Seniors in the Kenpo Insights section.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    This might be a good question to post to one of the Seniors in the Kenpo Insights section.
    Well I just didn’t want to waste the time of the SR’s I was worried that this may be a crazy question and figured that some one a little up the chain could probably answer.

Me personally and I don’t mean any disrespect in saying this but I don’t really practice both sides of techs. I may be dead wrong in this but time spent working on both ways splits my time to practice real bad. And with all the new info I seem to get every week I have to work the new techs I am learning and work them as much as I can. If I were to try and work both sides that doubles what I have to learn and keep up with. Maybe in time with years of training I can begin to go back and really get more into both sides.

Thanks

...as I said, there are proponents and opponents.

I've seen this question several times though, I don't think it's a waste of time to ask it. You may be surprised by the "insight" behind it.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Get the art down as SGM Parker intended then go back and look at this stuff.

Truth is 99% of the Kenpo people will learn enough to use it will never have to use it.

Enjoy the journey.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

It's absolutely a right-handed art, but as stated, that's because 90% of the population are right-handed.

Plus, left handed people are too intelligent, attractive, charming and wonderful to bother attacking others, so we don't have to worry so much about them.

What? Me, left-handed? Actually, I am, now that you mention it.

And yes, at first it was much more difficult to learn.

But, after awhile, you have to learn everything on both sides anyway, at least those that are in the katas, that it doesn't make any difference. I can do most techniques on both sides without much problem.

But then again, I'm left-handed.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong View Post
    It's absolutely a right-handed art, but as stated, that's because 90% of the population are right-handed.

Plus, left handed people are too intelligent, attractive, charming and wonderful to bother attacking others, so we don't have to worry so much about them.

What? Me, left-handed? Actually, I am, now that you mention it.

And yes, at first it was much more difficult to learn.

But, after awhile, you have to learn everything on both sides anyway, at least those that are in the katas, that it doesn't make any difference. I can do most techniques on both sides without much problem.

But then again, I'm left-handed.

--Amy

OK for some reason the Princess Bride comes to mind ... "You see I know something that you don't know ... I am not left handed".

Classic movie!
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

I thought left handed people were supposed to be in their right mind? I guess Amy is the exception to that rule, eh?

Princess Bride? Inconceivable!!! Great movie! One of my all time favorite lines is from that movie. Guess.

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

I have always been required to techniques on both sides as part of our testing. We generally (but not always) learn it on the right side first, then on the left.

"You keep using that word. I do not think him is, what you think him is."
    "Change is not necessary...Survival is not mandatory" - W. Edward Deming

"When I hit....I hit the whole enchilada" - Master David Leung

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

There are techniques that are defenses against right handed attacks, there are techniques that are defenses against lefted attacks why bog yourself down with trying to learn twice as much, when each side is addressed with an appropriate response.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

My guess is it's in your own best interest to develop confidence with either hand you use...shoot for becoming ambidexterous. Much easier said then done. I am very much right handed, and think my mind left...or something like that.
    There is nothing so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength.
    Unquestionably man has his will - but woman has her way! - Bruce Lee

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    There are techniques that are defenses against right handed attacks, there are techniques that are defenses against lefted attacks why bog yourself down with trying to learn twice as much, when each side is addressed with an appropriate response.

Well, for exactly the reason why this thread was started is a good one. An injury may prevent you from doing things the way you want to. It's good to have developed some skills on the other side as well.
    Michael

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flying crane View Post
    Well, for exactly the reason why this thread was started is a good one. An injury may prevent you from doing things the way you want to. It's good to have developed some skills on the other side as well.

In the techniques you will find blocks, strikes, parries and kicks with bothteh right and left sides of the body.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Personally, I find it just as easy to do most of the techniques on the other side.

It's not that big a deal. I don't practice all of them on the other side, but if you can get the feeling of doing them on the other side, then it will work when you need it.

Rob is right that there are techniques for left punches, so why not practice those on the right side too?

That way, in a test, when someone throws the wrong attack, think how cool you'll look doing the technique correctly, but on the other side?

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

In the techniques you will find blocks, strikes, parries and kicks with bothteh right and left sides of the body.

Of course you will. However, if you always are used to approaching your techs from a right hand dominant side, you will have trouble compensating if your right arm is injured and out of commission. You may have some basic skills with the left, but you have neglected training to put those skills into use in the same sophisticated way you can put the right side into use. It doesn't translate from right to left instantly, just because you want it to if you get injured. It takes time and effort to develop a skill on the weak side. The weak side may never be as good as the strong side, you may always favor the strong side, and as long as you don't get injured on the strong side you may never have an issue with it. However, given an injury on the strong side, if you havent' trained the weak side to take over, those basic abilites won't be worth much.

2004hemi's situation points this out perfectly. He has an injury in his right arm. The techs are designed to be worked by someone who is right-hand dominant. With his injuries, his is having trouble working with them. What are his alternatives? I'd say develop some stronger skills on the weaker side.
    Michael

Thanks

Yes but most techniques, regardless of what you're defending against, are from the perspective of a right handed person not necessarily a right handed attack. I think that's what is causing him trouble.

Which brings up an intersting point: if your right hand/arm/whatever were injured in a struggle, do you feel equally confident in defending yourself from the left side?

Thanks

C.C.

That’s a very good point; some of the techs that are initiated with the left hand first seem to be very awkward to me. Maybe this is just because these are new techs to me but take for instance thundering hammers. We step to 10/11 position on the left side of the punch and block with the left hand. I am much more comfortable moving to the 1/ 2 o’ clock position and more of a five swords defense. I feel very slow and vulnerable moving to the outside of the punch. I know I still need to practice this move but seems like in a street confrontation I would most likely revert to what I am more comfortable with right or wrong just natural instinct.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2004hemi View Post
    C.C.

That’s a very good point; some of the techs that are initiated with the left hand first seem to be very awkward to me. Maybe this is just because these are new techs to me but take for instance thundering hammers. We step to 10/11 position on the left side of the punch and block with the left hand. I am much more comfortable moving to the 1/ 2 o’ clock position and more of a five swords defense. I feel very slow and vulnerable moving to the outside of the punch. I know I still need to practice this move but seems like in a street confrontation I would most likely revert to what I am more comfortable with right or wrong just natural instinct.
    Most people would! But trust me, I FEEL YOUR PAIN being right handed myself. It's only logical and natural to lead with your strong side. I'm weak on my left side too, but I continue to practice on that side in hopes of becoming more proficient from the "left."

I think it's important to become proficient with the material in your curriculum but I also feel it's important to be equally proficient in defending oneself from either side.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    Which brings up an intersting point: if your right hand/arm/whatever were injured in a struggle, do you feel equally confident in defending yourself from the left side?

I doubt if anyone will say yes to this, but I put faith in the fact that I do practice on both sides so I have developed some useable skill on the weak side. It may not be equal, it probably never will, but it is useable and trustworthy.
    Michael

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links