Thread: Is locking horns broken?

Thanks

Default Is locking horns broken?

This came up at a recent seminar that the base technique is designed for a front choke ... not a front guillotine choke.

With a guillotine choke the person is pulling straight up on your throat with their hips back in order to raise your body up.

At the seminar is was suggested that you only have 2 - 3 seconds to react and that the initial groin shot would not work as you would be stepping into this very dangerous choke and possibly you were raised up on your toes already.

I am not going to give my opinion either way right now on this but I would be very curious to see what you all think.

My question is Does locking horns work vs. a guillotine choke or do we need a replacement technique for today's style of movement?

Thanks and looking forward to some Kenpo discussion.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Is locking horns broken?

My instructor Bill Piper was actually in this situation when he was a police officer. He modified the initial strike to be 1 sword hand to the groin then 2 hammer fists to the inner thigh then a second shot to the groin.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Stepping back creates lots of pressure, step forward into the hold can assist the attacker, but a well place stomp on the foot, kick to the shin or knee to the thigh or groin can help balance things in your favor.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by florida_kenpo View Post
    This came up at a recent seminar that the base technique is designed for a front choke ... not a front guillotine choke.

With a guillotine choke the person is pulling straight up on your throat with their hips back in order to raise your body up.

At the seminar is was suggested that you only have 2 - 3 seconds to react and that the initial groin shot would not work as you would be stepping into this very dangerous choke and possibly you were raised up on your toes already.

I am not going to give my opinion either way right now on this but I would be very curious to see what you all think.

My question is Does locking horns work vs. a guillotine choke or do we need a replacement technique for today's style of movement?

Thanks and looking forward to some Kenpo discussion.
    my opinion is that Locking Horns is desiged specifically to defend against the guillotine, or at least as i've been shown...

the key is that the position of the attacker is different for a headlock vs a guillotine. he will be more or less in a horse stance arching backwards to bend your head/neck downward.

if he gets that far, its too late~ remember this is a control manipulation technique and has a 'point of no return'.

you have to use Locking Horns as the guilotine is being applied. First, tuck your chin and keep your airway open. Next, activate that 'check' over the right knee. Smack it~ that may release it or even prevent the hold from ever occurring... but even if it doesn't, it will move he leg back and bring him down a bit. Then you can hit the groin.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by florida_kenpo View Post
    This came up at a recent seminar that the base technique is designed for a front choke ... not a front guillotine choke. With a guillotine choke the person is pulling straight up on your throat with their hips back in order to raise your body up. At the seminar is was suggested that you only have 2 - 3 seconds to react and that the initial groin shot would not work as you would be stepping into this very dangerous choke and possibly you were raised up on your toes already.

I agree with Pete, it works if you catch it early enough. And 2-3 seconds in a fight situation is an eternity.

It also works off several other attacks, not just chokes. So I'd leave it in, even if you decide there is something better.

Dan C

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links