Thread: slap checks

Thanks

Default slap checks

Ok since no one seems to be interested in the messing around threads I have a Kenpo related question thread.

What branches (if that is the correct terminology) of Kenpo practice slap checks? Since my instructor has more than one influence in his training history we are exposed to more than one set ideology. Iíve seen threads here and other places that talked about slap checks some seem to use them and some donít.

Myself I am learning them and I seem to be bruising myself pretty good. Seems the harder I throw a punch, chop, hammer fist, block, parry, what ever the harder I tend to hit myself. I like the way the rebounding speeds me up but I have yet to figure out how to not nail the crap out of myself. Is it effective to work reps of this movement slowly and try and build muscle memory first, then work on speed and timing? Will that help to curve the hard slam checks to myself? How did those of you that use them get past this issue?
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Re: slap checks

I'm confused. You're hitting yourself?
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Ė Charles A. Beard

Thanks

CC.

Well say you were to throw a right outward hand sword say to the neck of your target. At the same time your left hand would come across to the right side of your body and tag/ slap check your right shoulder or chest. At the same time that youíre your right hand contacts your target your left tags thatís one example

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2004hemi View Post
    CC.

Well say you were to throw a right outward hand sword say to the neck of your target. At the same time your left hand would come across to the right side of your body and tag/ slap check your right shoulder or chest. At the same time that you’re your right hand contacts your target your left tags that’s one example
    Crippler is kidding. He knows what you mean. He's just messing with you because he feels so inadequate from never gaining control of that other thread.

I think we had another thread about slap checks. Do a search and we can pick it up from there.
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

What thread are you talking about, Amy?

Anyway Hemi, I see what you're saying now. I've never been one for doing that a whole lot. I position my hand without contact for the most part. I can see how doing that would help ensure the placement of my hand and/or arm though.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Ė Charles A. Beard

Thanks
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,069 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 2004hemi View Post
    Myself I am learning them and I seem to be bruising myself pretty good. Seems the harder I throw a punch, chop, hammer fist, block, parry, what ever the harder I tend to hit myself. I like the way the rebounding speeds me up but I have yet to figure out how to not nail the crap out of myself. Is it effective to work reps of this movement slowly and try and build muscle memory first, then work on speed and timing? Will that help to curve the hard slam checks to myself? How did those of you that use them get past this issue?
    Wen I came home from spending a week at the mercy of Doc Chapel, my right shoulder was bruised - a blue and brown a 8-10 inch circle centered on the front of my shoulder. boy, did I get some funny looks at Oceans of Fun!

he did explain that the more power in the strike = more power in the BAM. It is natural and exactly how it is supposed to work.

Thanks

Hemi, I think that is the SL-4, but would have to ask Doc Chapel. I really don't know too much of what I am talking about. I have very little experiance. But, I have felt the difference of being hit with and without the "slap check" and when done right, it makes quite a difference.
    There is nothing so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength.
    Unquestionably man has his will - but woman has her way! - Bruce Lee

Thanks

They really help with speed for me. No tensing of the muscle is needed like it is when you stop your motion. Like Mr. Jacobs says, "My hand is the hammer, and my body is the nail."
    Try relaxing just a bit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Angel View Post
    Hemi, I think that is the SL-4, but would have to ask Doc Chapel. I really don't know too much of what I am talking about. I have very little experiance. But, I have felt the difference of being hit with and without the "slap check" and when done right, it makes quite a difference.

SL-4?? Thatís way above me Iím just getting ready to test for Blue belt middle of next month.

Thanks

Slap Checks

This is the thread on slap checks that was going on before.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/sho...ght=slap+check

This thread here might be a little more informative.

Here's another good one based on alternating maces
    http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/sho...ht=slap+checks
    Last edited by jfarnsworth; 09-29-2006 at 07:02 PM.

Thanks

Thanks for the links, Looks like I have much reading to do. But for now I have to get my youngest to bed

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links